JHS little black amp box???

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with it?

Its essentially a passive volume pedal you use in an fx loop to act like an attenuator. I know its not the same as an attenuator but used for the same purpose. I love that its passive.
4bf3d82d-94af-4730-a6aa-108b48e30d59.8546a146f15a416eb19bedd083fe3f4f.jpeg

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Basically acts as a 2nd master volume. Could see it being useful for amps with notoriously bad master volumes.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got one. It's great. I use it mainly for an amp that has a Jose (with associated volume drop). It makes it a lot easier and quicker to adjust the volumes between Jose on and off. It also works great for amps with a twitchy master volume, or a fizzy tone at really low volumes.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a homemade version in the loop of a 5150. Helped smooth out the master volume jump.

A reactive load box is way better though.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play my big amps literally as low as they can go. Like volume off, SLOWLY turn up until it suddently comes to life and sounds relatively normal.
Feel like this might let me bump it up that little bit more to get a slightly better tone

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play my big amps literally as low as they can go. Like volume off, SLOWLY turn up until it suddently comes to life and sounds relatively normal.
Feel like this might let me bump it up that little bit more to get a slightly better tone
It'll definitely do that. I use my big amps all the time at any volume as well, and one of them is pretty fizzy at really low practice volume. This box sorts that out completely.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I built one, but if you have a volume pedal, it'll do the same trick.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's usuful for amps that behave like that. Gives you more control over the volume. Just make sure your amp has a series fx loop rather than parallel. It won't work with a parallel loop.

Also note that if your amp has an fx loop send or return level knob, you can use that for the exact same purpose by just plugging in a patch cable.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've built a couple boxes like that for my 5150 and 5153. They let me make adjustments to the overall volume without having to play with the balance between channels, plus I can dial in gates or effects in the FX loop to optimal settings and leave them alone.

If your amp has a good master volume control, then you probably wouldn't get much utility from a box like that. If it has a jumpy master volume or only channel volumes like a 5150, then it will definitely come in handy :yesway:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly you can probably just make your own with just a couple of TS jacks and a pot with the right value lol

Shit here's how the inside of one looks

(EDIT: This isn't actually a JHS LBAB, but it's the same thing pretty much)
20160214010137.jpg

This IS one though.

480676-947a54fdf11406ccee4d51200ef18343.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah there is legit nothing to these, but they do come in handy when you need a master at the end of you signal chain. I built one of these to use in the loop of my Fender Blue Deluxe.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's a volume pot in a box

This (and anything else like it) work perfectly for serial loops and pretty badly for parallel loops

Best application: highgain preamp heavy big high wattage amps, especially 5150/6505 family, which still sounds like itself and can be brought down to whisper-quiet levels

PS not sure about the EVH/Fender ones, check to see if they have serial loops

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, just a pot-in-a-box.

These work well, but I generally prefer to use an EQ pedal, or an effects unit so that I can control the volume, but also do something else like EQ the sound or add in some reverb or something.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I don't have the JHS but I built one for like $10 in parts (including enclosure) and it works well for amps with poor master volumes.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think its so funny I'm seeing nothing but positive feedback in this thread when at least two or three people were shitting all over these in another thread. Going on about tone-suck, you're a sucker if you buy one, JHS is trash, etc.

Anyway, if someone were to make one from scratch what resistance pot would they want to use? 500k? 1 Meg?
My gut says the higher the better but, I'm not sure.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Also note that if your amp has an fx loop send or return level knob, you can use that for the exact same purpose by just plugging in a patch cable.
Dang, I can’t believe I’ve just learned of this today. That’s a cool idea!

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on this, it'll give your amp's master volume more usable range, when you bring down signal from your preamp in the fx loop with this pot, but nothing more.

Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang, I can’t believe I’ve just learned of this today. That’s a cool idea!

I'm not sure how common this is but if you have an amp with separate channel masters and an overall output (like the Mark V) that works the same way too. The Mark V's output knob is the FX loop return. That's why it's defeated if you turn the FX Loop off. As I found out when I turned the FX Loop off when my Master was at 5 and the Output barely up at all. I nearly died.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah what everyone else has said, basically a volume pot in a pedal.
I got one 2nd hand for cheap, and was using it with my Mesa MKV25 head which has a very twitchy volume knob - does the job

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think its so funny I'm seeing nothing but positive feedback in this thread when at least two or three people were shitting all over these in another thread. Going on about tone-suck, you're a sucker if you buy one, JHS is trash, etc.

Anyway, if someone were to make one from scratch what resistance pot would they want to use? 500k? 1 Meg?
My gut says the higher the better but, I'm not sure.
I used 250k when I modded amps for this. That is the value used in Soldano amps, and in 2-channel Rectos. Seems to work well.