Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

I do believe in the land of crazy one-offs, ESP firmly holds the crown

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

One offs, yes. Signatures? Almost. :lol:

3. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Makes me think of Toshihiko Takamizawa.

Jesus that flying angel is priced at $30k.

4. MFB

MFB Banned

Yup, that was in my head when I was thinking of ESPs top batshit crazy guitars

5. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I never realized ESP was that cool. I always thought they are boring. My favourite now. Too bad!

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They have several models that are shaped like actual angels (more than in that link I mean).

And they made one for a Japanese artist that has a katana in it. Like, if you believe in tonewood, then this has tone samurai steel.

“Forgive me master, I must shred all out. Just this once.” - that guy, probably

7. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

The all ESP signature range is stupid. Japanese artists get really complexe, original, colorful guitars, while the rest of the world gets expensive version of a black guitar but with stupid skull inlays...

KnightBrolaire and Hollowway like this.
  8. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

Edika likes this.
  9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I hear Jeff is going to be hooking up with the guys in Manowar for his next signature axe...

10. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Eh, in recent past Schecter has mostly been seen as the "best for the buck", "gaudy designs" and "metalcore emokids" brand, while Jackson, ESP and Ibanez are known for their glorious years with huge Metal bands, maybe that's a possible reason :shrug: Schecter sounds like a 2nd place for many, apparently.

couverdure likes this.
  11. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Well... schecter has nick johnston. One of the best looking "strat" I have ever seen.

12. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Yep, but he's still a rather unknow artist. I mean, if you're not a web guy, you probably never heard of him. Yeah, I know, this is the web-music-room-playing era, I'm old :lol:

13. MFB

MFB Banned

I've been on two fairly old but still 'onboard' with modern music boards for a decade now, and I barely even remember him. He sells if you know him, but how he attracts new people seems to largely be word of mouth since I don't think any other music boards (TGP, H-C, UG) are really into what he's putting out. Or maybe they are and I'm just totally wrong about them :shrug:

14. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Yeah, I don't think Nick Johnston is much of a draw. Maybe the same could be said about Keith Merrow for any demographic outside of this forum. Obviously this is not a comment on their music.

With respect to Schecter's brand image vs. the other big names, I'd agree that they're kind of on a second tier. It always seemed they struggled with branding their USA Custom Shop stuff, since the name 'Schecter' pretty much connoted mediocrity. Meanwhile, both Ibanez and Jackson have some absolutely rubbish instruments on the lower end, yet have fantastic reputations for their USA/J.Custom models and Custom Shop guitars. That's a reputation that's difficult to overcome, especially in just a couple of years.

Zado and Ebony like this.
  15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

100% agree. How can the company that made Shinigama not eke out anything other than the F series? It’s like the have two completely different companies under the same umbrella. I would bet that those crazy shapes would sell well if they got them into the E-II range. I mean, not AS crazy, but something more JDM than the regular fare.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The home market signatures are primarily "prestige" and show guitars. They make one or two to put on display and keep them listed on the website, but by no means are they meant to make money. They're all about image and marketing.

17. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Gearwhorin’ and brandhoppin’ are the ways of the present and future, now that Youtubers have metrics for how many subs and views their competition had at the time of “earning” a signature chinese guitar or pedal from an upstart brand wanting promotion under the cost of buying ad space directly through google.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  18. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

I don't know much about Schecter's overall quality level since I've only ever played one over an extended period - my own Loomis 7 hardtail from 2010. And this is one the best playing guitars I have. Either the workers at the South Korean factory had an especially good day when they made it, or it's pretty representative of the quality level they deliver in this price bracket, or a bit of both. I've had friends play it as well, and they also agree that it seriously punches above it's weight. Love that thing.

19. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

To those who guessed Jackson/ FMIC....

[​IMG]

Manurack, Nlelith, Possessed and 6 others like this.