JCM900 vs Kerry King JCM800 2203KK

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by casketshrine, Apr 27, 2010.

1. casketshrine

casketshrine SS.org Regular

Okay. So a few days ago I posted this thread about trying to decide whether to buy a JCM900 or not since many tube amps are not available here in this part of the world and a friend was selling me his JCM900 for a decent price. I play a lot of death/doom metal stuff and a lot of modern metal stuff like Soilwork, Sybreed and Nevermore etc.

I had almost decided I'd buy the JCM 900 and then just add a TS-9 or SD-1 or MXR ZW44 overdrive infront and an EQ in the fx loop along with some compression and chorus and use that. However now the same friend has offered to sell his JCM800 2203KK for around $1000-1100. Now I have slight reservations about it. No fx loop, single channel and no footswitch to shift to the 'Beast' side of the amp. I will go over to his place soon and try it out in detail.

I was wondering is this a better deal than the JCM900 I was getting earlier? I know KT88 tubes sound more open and this amp is loud as f*ck. Also, would this amp give me a 'djenty' tone? I can further boost it with a OD pedal infront of it and I can also OD the JCM800 side of the amp and get different metal tones from there but there is no fx loop to add any chorus or harmonizer or EQ pedal in it.

Opinions/suggestions?

BrainArt likes this.
  2. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

I've played the Kerry King, and while it sounds freaking amazing, I wouldn't buy it, for the very reasons you pointed out. So, I say you go with the JCM900, then you have the versatility of more than one channel, and an FX loop. :yesway:

3. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

" death/doom metal stuff and a lot of modern metal stuff like Soilwork, Sybreed and Nevermore etc"
    Then you go on to say " Also, would this amp give me a 'djenty' tone?"

It doesn't sound like you know what you want at all man, because Death/Doom and bands like Soilwork and Nevermore need and use guitar tones that at at the complete opposite spectrum of "Djent"

4. Variant

Variant Banned

^
    This.

Mashalls with a lot of bass dialed in and a hairy fuzz in front will get you your doomy tone... but Soilwork and Nevermore are way on the tight and articulate end of the spectrum... 5150/6505 type sounds... and Sybreed and "djentier" sounds like Meshuggah are firmly in modeler territory.

5. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

both will do doom and death metal great but as stated before you wont be able to get the more modern sounds out of it .

6. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Just re-read the above posts, and I don't think anyone said that, probably because I don't think it's true. It won't be an Engl-y smooth mid modern tone, but either of those amps can get a modern hi-gain tone.

I haven't been able to try out the KK, but I've heard great things. That said, I've owned a couple JCM900s, and I think they sound great anyway, so if you need the versatility / fx-loop, I wouldn't shy away from the 900 just because the KK can do one of the possible tones better.

7. casketshrine

Okay so here's what I am thinking

Boss NS2 + TS-9 or DS-1 -> JCM 900 -> BBE Sonic Stomp + Boss GE7 EQ + Boss CE5 Chorus + Boss CS3 compressor/sustainer (in the loop)

I think that would definitely get me more mileage than JCM800KK. Thoughts?

8. xtrustisyoursx

xtrustisyoursx SS.org Regular

i'd go with the 900

9. Ostia Man

Ostia Man Contributor

:yesway:
    I have that same setup, except for the bbe.
    but put your boost in the loop of the ns-2, it'll be a lot cleaner that way.
    and your eq after the compressor so you can use it as a volume/mid boost for solos or lead stuff.

10. casketshrine

Ostia, I just pulled that right off quick. I'll experiment with it. Thanks for the valuable suggestions :)

Now, can you tell me what sorta tone do you get out of yours with that set up? What kinda music do you do with it?

11. Ostia Man

Ostia Man Contributor

12. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    i'd go with the 900. a fair few people i know have said the kerry king is not a great amp, so i'd avoid it.

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The KK is great, only not versatile. And the lack of an effect loop is a problem for a lot of people. But it does sound great if used for what it's designed for.

14. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

When my DSL50 was being repaired, the store owner let me borrow a 900. I had it for a couple weeks and didn't like it the whole time. I did endless amounts of dialing and never got anywhere good, even swapping tubes. One of my friends has a 2203KK and I think it's pretty awesome. It has a built-in noisegate.

You're looking at two different amp voicings here. The 900's distortion is based off diode clipping (which isn't a bad thing).

15. casketshrine

See, those are my main reservations against it. No fx loop, single channel and no footswitch for beast channel.

However, I can always boost the regular 800 channel and throw a hush infront along with a ts9 or sd-1 and get different heavier tones out of it.

Lets see. I'll be going to his place on Sunday and then I'll try both of them out. It'll give me a fair enough idea of what to go with.

I am also looking into getting an Axe Fx besides this amp and using it with my Mesa 50/50 poweramp. However, I'll have to wait for someone to fly in from the US to haul it over for me :mad: