Jcm 2000

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Prada3353, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

how are these amps? ive never actually played one before, and was curious about them, the cleans? the brutalz? and how about just for rock/ hard rock?

theres a used one at a local music store, way over priced, but i still want to try it out just to see

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

the vocalist in my band owns one and i've played a show through it. They sound decent, but i just couldnt dial in a tone i was all about. I opt for Mesa. Thats just my :2c:

3. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

You just answered your own question:wavey:. Try it with a boost for the brutalz, the rest should be pretty easy to dial in.

PS. I hope you are talking about the DSL version, if its the TSL don't bother. IMO the TSL doesn't have any balls.

4. Tukaar

Tukaar Bringer of DOOOOOOOM

I have a DSL50. One, the thing is Loud. Two, if you're looking for a super saturated modern metal tone, your going to want a pedal to boost the head's ultra gain channel. I usually opt for a "Black Earth" era Arch Enemy/ Carcass "Heartwork" guitar sound, so I run an MXR ZW44 Wylde Overdrive and a Behringer Graphic EQ into the head's front end. Some days, when THAT's not enough, I take the EQ and the overdrive out, and replace them with an original Marshall Guv'nor pedal and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

5. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

if i did buy one it would be for more of a rock/ hard rock type of tone, but the reason why i ask is because i won't be able to see what it sounds like at a gig level volume, the music store its at doesn't allow that volume level >.<

and yeah, its the DSL version

6. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I like them, the DSL is a ballsy amp, but, like every marshall it needs to be loud to really come into it's own, i swear the marshall design relies quite heavily on the power stage running at ridiculous volume...!

Anyway, like all amps, boosts are your friend too :)

7. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

i'm also intrested in the marshall plexi super lead reissue
    Jade from AFI uses them live, and i really like his live tone

8. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

My Guitar teacher has one and I don't like it. It works if you're playing ACDC type stuff, but anything heavier than that then I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: Thats for the JCM

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The DSL definitely has more gain than the TSL, so if you're looking for a high gain rig, that may be the better way to go. The TSL is still plenty gainy, but definitely needs to be run LOUD for maximum effect.

The TSL got a lot of praise when it came out for having "Marshall's first true 'clean' channel" or something like that. Yes and no. It's certainly very clean, and richer and fuller than is the norm for Marshall. However, my first Marshall was a JTM30 combo (yes, JTM, not JCM), and while the TSL had the more traditional spongier, quasi-Fenderish clean, really the JTM's clean was much more exciting to play. A little thin at lower volumes, true, but it had this awesome glassiness to it that gradually darkened/gritted up as the volume came up, and once the poweramp really got going it was honestly one of the best blues tones, that and my Strat, I've ever heard. Think mid-period clapton, where his sound was pretty much clean but the very attack had some glassy breakup to it. Or maybe Satriani's "A Piece of Liquid" lead break.

The Crunch channel was just that - it ruled for what it was.

The Lead channel was actually a kickass rhythm tone for crunchy Tool-like stuff, provided you didn't max out the gain and left that god-awful "mid shift" mid cut thing off. Try 6-4-6 on the EQ, presence somewhere pretty much up the middle, and gain about 6... Not super high gain, but a lot of impact to the attack.

Also, this one's pretty tube dependant. A JJ high gain tube set and Groove Tubes E34L's, and it was a totally new beast.

Prada3353 likes this.
  10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

the guy who gave me my JSX full stack replaced it with 2 orange cabs and a marshall TSL. he can get a lot of nice tones out of it (has a few guitars and a big mofo of a rack haha).

test it out, boost it. i think it'll put a bit of marshall snarl to a good metal tone. the one time ive used a JCM2000, it was a TSL and the sound engineer just dimed everything. i played the gibson LP standard they had in the next room over.. w/ the EQ that way it sounded like ass.

but the tone my friend got for our EP sounded pretty good to me, although he didnt like it much :lol:. DeathCharge on purevolume¬ô - traynor YCV80 212 and TSL into 1960A.

11. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

My first amp head was a TSL60 and it served me pretty well. I always needed a boost (MT2) for heavy stuff though, and once Id discovered the world of Djent I just had to upgrade to a Mesa. The 3 channels plus reverb on the TSL make it a nice flexible amp depending on what you're using it for, and 60W was loud enough for me at the time, but by comparison my Roadster is 100W with 4 channels (12 modes), reverb and solo boost, so its absolutely crushes the TSL in every way! I also found tweaking potential rather limited on the TSL60 but the TSL100 is a lot more flexible. The DSL isnt as versatile but definitely has more gain.

12. DSilence

DSilence SS.org Regular

Damn I should of joined this thread, this is the amp I'm after.