Jazz III Picks?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by pipelineaudio, May 21, 2017.

1. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

When you guys talk about Jazz III picks, do you mean the Tortex ones, or the Nylon ones or Ultex or whatever other ones out there? Also, what gauges are you liking of the Jazz III's?

I played paper thin nylons all my life but from time to time find that a harder pick sometimes does things I want it to do, more accuracy for some stuff. I'm going to FORCE myself to live with a new pick for a week, and since the Jazz III seems so popular on here, I'd pick one, but not sure exactly which one to try for this experiment

2. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

I'm one of those cork sniffers who thinks pick material matters.

I primarily use either bone, or horn Jazz IIIs which are about twice as thick as your standard J3 with a slightly bigger form factor. The edges are beveled and the tips have an aggressive, but not painfully sharp point.

I have about 20 J3s made of wood, 10 domestic species, and 10 exotic. I prefer them for clean playing and strumming. My wenge pick is incredibly good for bright, crisp attacks, whereas the mahogany one gives off a warmer ring.

The bone J3s are my current go-to, as the porus nature of bone adheres to your fingers quite well. Definitely recommend them.

Attached Files:

3. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

When it comes to Jazz III picks, I usually go with the Tortex ones, either gauges .73mm or .88mm (both thinner than the Nylon/Ultex Jazz IIIs, which are both 1.38mm). Lead playing feels easier with them since you have more control with the tip, rhythm also works if you're used to strumming with its small size.

If they're too small for you, there's the Jazz III XL picks (available in Nylon, Tortex, and Ultex) and the John Petrucci signature Ultex Jazz III. If you're used to regular-sized picks but like the sharp tip, there's the Tortex TIII and Ultex Sharp picks.

4. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

5. FrashyFroo

FrashyFroo SS.org Regular

Maybe I should have switched to something lighter and bigger by now but I have been using Tortex H3 picks for about 7,5 years. Those are 1,14mm sharp picks. I just got through my second pack (I buy 36 at a time). I decided to pick them up after I used one of my guitar teacher's H3s. I feel they make fast, precise rhythm playing a lot easier.

They're pretty small though, so they do require keeping firmly in place in order not to slip towards the point. That still does happen sometimes and it's a pain when you have to readjust the way you're holding a pick halfway through a thrash song.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

For the regular Jazz III's (small) if you want the alternative sizes for Tortex then you have to get the 'white' or 'pitch black' series.
    Here are a few links to the white series:

http://www.samash.com/tortex-jazz-iii-white--12-pack--assorted-gauges-d478p73xx-p
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dutojaiiiwhg.html

and black:
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dutopibljaii1.html

I was using the pitch black jazz iii tortex 1.14mm and really liked them. I was going to try out the white series in a 1mm but ended up trying a Tortex Jazz III XL pick and preferred their larger shape (more similar to a regular pick but slightly smaller, yet still with the overall jazz III shape). Now I'm playing the Tortex Jazz III XL's in .73mm (yellow) almost exclusively, except for the odd time when I want something with a little more power and grab the .88mm (green).

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

L3 (red) = .50mm
    M3 (green) = .88mm
    H3 (purple) = 1.14mm
    Same color coding as all the other Tortex picks, though these are the only ones in that shape and size that are colored.

The black and white Tortex Jazz IIIs are the same size but they come in more gauges. I have the .73mm white ones.

8. Dantas

Dantas SS.org Regular

This weekend I bought it for the 1st time a Tortex Jazz III XL (yellow 0.73 mm), and it blew me away. I think it's a good one to start if you want to change from nylon, but don't want to go to a very thick pick.

I was used to the regular yellow 0.73 mm Tortex, and the Jazz III version helped my playing to be a little faster, and the leads easier to do. Also, my palm mutes lost a little bit of a "klank" sound they used to make when I played the previous regular yellow Tortex, and I thought it was an EQ problem of my settings.

Strumming is a little harder compared to the other one, but I'm open to change because of the benefits mentioned above.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire War-Bard

if you're just dipping your toes into the deep world of jazz iii style picks, I'd recommend the basic nylon red jazz iii in 1.38mm. It's a great pick to use as a baseline imo.

10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I use the basic nylon red most of the time, but I also like the 2.0 black one when I want heavy chugging with a fair bit of scrapy pick attack

11. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Have you ever tried the Ultex ones? I use the Ultex XL because the regular one is too small, it scrapes the nail cuticle really badly when I'm playing rhythm. I absolutely love 'em though, I think it prolongs the life of the string because it innately has that spanky quality a fresh sets of strings give you. I think they're 1.3mm or thereabouts. Would definitely recommend giving them a shot!

12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Go buy yourself a Jazz III variety pack. It will have most of the styles that are available (not the sig variety pack).

Personally I love the black Tortex ones (I forget how thick they are).

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I have black j3s in 1mm and 1.5mm tortex. I like them both. I have them in white as well (1.5). I like me a fat pick.

14. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I've been using Jazz III max grips for the last five years or so; I've never felt the need for another pick.

15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I looked today at band practice and I use 1.14s.

16. MetalZan

MetalZan The MetalZan

I have used jazz 3 type picks for a very long time probably 9, 10 years, first the red then the black which i felt were too stiff, so i switched back into red.

in the last bit i have ventured into the jazz 3 tortex picks because i have finally seen them in a shop here...

I like that they are not as thick, or at least my options are there to not be as thick, i think i like the tortex .88 whites the most, the .7 is nice, and if it lasted longer it be sold on those, they have super sharp tips and for me just enough snap back and flex but they get shredded quick and become unusable for me and the 1.0 are decent too as they tend to last longer than the .88 yet they last nowhere close to as long as the red or black picks though...

I'd say if your used to using traditional pick shapes, try out the tortex jazz 3 first, match your current thickness and try it, see if the shape is better for you, and then slowly move up into thicker picks until you find the right one.

17. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

It is totally subjective. I like all jazz iii's, and I have tried all of them.

My favorites:
    1) Tortex M3 (0.88mm Green)
    2) Tortex H3 (1.14mm Purple)
    3) Ultex 1.38mm (Transparent Yellow)

My least favorite:
    1) Max Grips: Too much grip and you can't microadjust them in your fingers.
    2) Nylon reds: Too soft. They feel like they are made out of soap
    3) Ultex 2.0: Very comfy, but very clicky sounding

Try all of them. Picks are cheap. Choose your favorite

18. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

I am in the process of moving from blue Tortex 1.0's for stubby Jazz III's (2.0's and 3.0's). The Jazz III's felt so small to start with, but I don't think I can go back to the Tortex's now, they feel like frisbees...

Glades makes a good point about the Max Grips, they are VERY grippy, it's annoying you can't shift the pick around.

19. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I started using the D'addarrio black ice jazz picks. They are made of Duralin, which imo, is similar to the tortex jazz picks, but has a bit more grip to it. Really the reason I started using them is that they are available locally, and the tortex jazz is not. I don't really care for the nylon jazz picks. The D'addarrio's are ever so slightly bigger than the dunlop jazz picks. I beleive the ones I get are 0.80.

Just another option that is out there.

20. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I use Tortex M3 and White .73 Tortex. Sometimes I prefer a sligthly oversized Jazz III shape like Pickboy Carbon or PW Black Ice.