Jazz guitars with 24 frets?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by jco5055, Dec 6, 2020.

1. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Hi,

I've started to dabble in jazz a bit, and although I don't have any urge currently to go the full route and get an archtop etc, I have just for fun been exploring the hollow and semi-hollow bodies out there.

One thing I've noticed is that almost all "jazz boxes" have only 22 frets, and often a short (shorter than 25.5") scale. Is there a specific reason for that, other than the same reason all the classic Les Pauls/Strats don't have 24 frets? Do they make any 24 fret guitars besides the more "modern" guitar companies like PRS or Relish making hollow bodies?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've never seen a 24 fret long scale archtop that wasn't bespoke, or at least super limited. It's just not a common/sought after configuration in that realm.

Depending on the jazz you're getting into, plenty of players use more modern solid body designs, so it's not an instant requisite to need a specific instrument.

jco5055 likes this.
  3. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Thanks! Yeah I know a lot of fusion guys etc don't use archtops, but I was really getting into George Benson and would love to try his Ibanez models, I've never actually played a hollow body (traditional) before.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab an entry level Gretsch, Ibanez Artcore, or Godin 5th Avenue and see what the fuss is about. It's one of those things you just have to try and see what does or doesn't click.

5. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I have spent several years studying/playing jazz (I'm still a hack, so do with that what you will).

You don't need a Benedetto to play jazz. Plenty of great players on Tele's and LPs. Julian Lage has some of the best tone I've ever heard on a guitar coming out of a 50s LP with P90s. A Strat with the tone knob turned down in the neck position sounds great for jazz.

You mentioned listening to Benson - he is a monster player, and not having those two additional frets never slowed him down. That goes for quite literally every other giant in jazz guitar. Honestly, jazz is more about the approach than it is the guitar. I think hollowbody guitars have persisted due to the historical relationship jazz players have had with them for the past hundred years more than anything else.

6. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

For me it's more just a "I've never actually played a jazz box, I wonder how I'd like them" the same way it was when I'd never played a V or Explorer shape etc, I don't assume it naturally is "better" or anything. Though I have played the more "non jazz" hollow bodies out there like PRS and I did really like the sound!

7. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

8. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

jco5055 likes this.
  9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I am primarily a Gypsy Jazz player. I spend 80% of my time practicing that technique/repertoire on a Craig Bumgarner Busato copy. Because of that, I find that playing on HB guitars, something that is deeper than a standard electric guitar and with the air movement from the F Holes feels much more natural to me. I love to play my Les Paul, but I definitely play it/approach it differently than I do on something that pushes more air.

jco5055 likes this.
  10. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

How do you like the Bumgarner? I have a Geronimo Mateos oval hole that I love but thinking about getting something different next year. Maybe I'll get lucky and a Holo will pop up :D

I'm casually in the market for a jazz box. I've always thought it would be cool to have one in the 670mm Selmer scale

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

The Bumgarner is a monster. I take lessons from a well-known Holo user, and he gave his complete recommendation to get the CB. The guitar was previously owned by my buddy in Ultrafaux, which is nice as well.

Craig is not only a fantastic luthier, but a truly nice and gracious person as well. Eventually I'll have him build something for me, but #42 is so nice that I just don't even think about other instruments. I wish I had that same issue with electrics.

Glad to answer any questions you have, feel free to shoot me a PM.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

ANY guitar can be a jazz guitar if you play enough wrong notes. :agreed:

*hides*

(Mike Stern also comes to mind here)

Kyle Jordan and JSanta like this.
  13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Wildebeest likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

15. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

16. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Soloways were available as 27", 25.5" or 24.75" 24-fret semi-hollow models. Not "traditional" arch tops, but definitely "Jazz" guitars. The other big plus was that you could get "finger style" 1-13/16" wide necks.

Kyle Jordan likes this.