Jazz fusion recommendations

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by mr_fruitbowl, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mr_fruitbowl

mr_fruitbowl Well-Known Member

Looking for bands like Guthrie Govan, Marco Sfogli, Eugene Berger, Alex Argento.

I've only been able to find some what decent bands via Youtube.

So please give me some bands!
    Or even a Grooveshark playlist.

:yesway:

2. ToMurderAMachine

ToMurderAMachine SS.org Regular

Thank You Scientist

3. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus SS.org Regular

Planet X !

4. guitareben

guitareben SS.org Regular

+9085376984 (especially their album "Quantum")

Also, On The Virg, Allan Holdsworth (obviously), Exivious, Alex Machacek, Tribal Tech, Snarky Puppy, Frank Gambale, maybe some John Scofield...

lots to get through, and there is much much more (this is a kinda specific part of fusion)

5. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Didn't we just have a fusion recommendation thread not too long ago? Try using the search function.

6. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
    Forum member - SplinterHead. aka Greg Rapaport. Check out his 2006 CD "Homuculus" as well as his most current. Heavy jazz influence. Great original music. Worth browsing through his songs for the really jazzy prog stuff. He plays all the instruments, does the drum programming and the recording. Also a pro music teacher. Nice guy too! :yesway:

www.GregRapaport.com

7. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Agreed on all the recommendations so far.

I'll also put out there that what album you listen to by each artist makes a VERY big difference. I love pretty much all of the artists mentioned by, not hate, the genre has a lot of 'hit or miss' albums/tracks.

For Machacek, I'd recommend 24 Tales and his collaborative project FAT (Fabulous Austrian Trio).

For Holdsworth, I'd recommend Metal Fatigue as his essential album but (as I mentioned in a thread the other day) I much preferred his playing on Heavy Machinery with Jens and Anders Johansson (VERY exciting album).

I recently got a copy of Jens Johannson's Fission, which has some work by Shawn Lane. highly recommended, as well as (obviously) Powers of Ten.

Brett Garsed is another good one. I wasn't too into his first album, but Dark Matter is a much more exciting album IMO. Definitely worth checking out.

I also can't recommend MVP (Mark Varney Project) Centrifugal Funk enough. That's got Shawn Lane, Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Brett Garsed and TJ Helmerlich all on there. Fantastic CD.

Hope this gets you heading in the right direction! I'll definitely be watching this thread for more stuff.

guitareben likes this.
  8. mr_fruitbowl

mr_fruitbowl Well-Known Member

9. HOKENSTYFE

HOKENSTYFE HeartWyrm

A couple of heavier Jazz "infused" bands(Progressive Metal & Jazz) that are stapled in metal. Who knows...

- Combat Astronomy(Instrumental)

- Novallo(w/Vocals)

Oh yeah. I just left and remembered a Jazz/Metal/Drone outfit called, "Adolf Plays the Jazz". Bandcamp.com has their discography for free. At least they did, last year(2012).

Good Luck-

10. Indigenous

Indigenous Indigenous

Weather Report.

11. TheKhann

TheKhann SS.org Regular

+1 for Brett Garsed, very melodic player, great compositions.

A relatively unknown but promising player - Steffen Shackinger

Have a listen to Guthrie Govan and The Fellowship, i actually prefer that to his solo album or the Aristocrats.

If you want something a bit more extreme - Panzerballett

12. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

Tom Quayle, Rick Graham, and Feodor Dosumov to name a few.

13. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

for something a bit smoother, but still amazing, check out two japanese bands "CASIOPEA" and "TSQUARE" - my two favorites.. TSQUARE has some heavier/more proggy stuff and some straight up pop too, so versatile, just great bands overall..

check out TSQUARE - "Future Maze" on youtube, my favorite song by them so far.

Alternately, sub-bands from them such as Issei Noro's Inspirits, Akira Jimbo's projects, PYRAMID, Ottotrio, Jimsaku, so much good stuff. And for more Bop-style, DIMENSION (sax driven) and TRIX

14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I really just went through this thread and didn't see a single mention of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Or John McLaughlin, for that matter. Sigh.

15. Khoi

Khoi SS.org Regular

not guitar based, but I think everyone can learn something from Hiromi.

16. heregoesnothing

heregoesnothing SS.org nub

Weather Report's early albums (Mysterious Traveler, Sweetnighter, Self-titled)
    Miles Davis' Bitches Brew
    Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire

Chick Corea
    Al Di Meola
    Allan Holdsworth
    Tribal Tech
    Alex Machacek
    Hiromi Uehara
    Pat Metheny

interesting words from Guthrie:

"I’ve met people who are fascinated by the word ‘fusion' but whose main concern seems to be learning some new licks-with-funny-notes which they can then play really fast over an A minor chord. That’s kind of doing a disservice to the whole concept, really. If someone can listen to, say, a 70s Billy Cobham album and get excited about the whole spirit of it all, then I reckon they understand the idea of fusion – which was meant to be about blending different styles and making something fresh happen" -Guthrie Govan :D

17. jehu12141987

jehu12141987 SS.org Regular

HIROMI.

CONSIDER THE SOURCE.

TONY GREY (HIROMI'S BASS PLAYER).

18. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

Weather Report :scream:

19. jimwratt

jimwratt SS.org Regular

Her guitarist is Dave Fiuczynski, who you should DEFINITELY check out in his band Screaming Headless Torsos and his various solo projects. Note that he is playing a double necked guitar. The top neck is fretless and the bottom neck is a 7 string! He's a Berklee professor too, so he definitely knows his stuff and can apply it.

Also check out Shawn Lane, Greg Howe, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Al DiMeola (especially the Return To Forever era).

You should also get into some Herbie Hancock, Jaco Patorious, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Narada Michael Walden, Stanley Clarke, Steve Coleman, Marcus Miller, etc. if you're really into the fusion thing. They aren't guitarists, but they are a major influence on what that genre is.

If you want an all in one package, I recommend Sean Rickman (he's mostly known for being an absolutely insane drummer, but he's no slouch on guitar, bass, vocals, and keys):

If you really want to expand on some things, you might want to check out R. Prassana

He was initially trained in South Indian Classical music on the electric guitar and then branched out into fusion jazz. He has an album called "Electric Ganesha Land" that is a tribute to Jimi Hendrix and has more of a rock flavor to it, and it's slamming.

There is also of course Shawn Lane's work with Jonas Hellborg and the Vinayakrams which is also in a similar vein.

Guitar solo:

20. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman