Jason Richardson Signature EBMM?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MrYakob, Jan 26, 2016.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

In what way isn't she a "proper guitarist"?

I've been far more inspired by her guitar playing than anything JP has done in years or anything Jason Richardson has done.

And I definitely know more people that haven't heard of Dream Theater than have. St Vincent's music sells pretty well, probably better.

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

ONLY the fastest shredders ever deserve signature guitars!!! :scream: :lol: :rolleyes:

3. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

The allure to EBMM guitars is that they're really nice guitars. A companies quality shouldn't be determined by how exclusive their signature model list is.

Honestly how can you call someone who is able to make a living off of playing guitar "not a guitarist"? People really seem to underestimate how hard it is to write music in your style and be able to make decent money off of it let alone be noticed by a very highly regarded guitar company like EBMM. Just think about this for a second, the brand that not only you but guys like JP and Jason Richardson and loads of other monster players hold in such high regard decided that her playing was worthy enough of a signature model that she was allowed to make 100% her own. If you want to go off who they've given signatures to then shouldn't that show that EBMM knows talent when they see it?

Dude, if Ibanez decided to give Taylor Swift or any other mega artist a signature I can almost guarantee that it would sell incredibly well and with more money being made it gives them the chance to put out more varied options on their existing niche instruments so why would that be a bad thing? Saying a brand would be cheapened by a big artist makes you sound like a 13 year old going through his "Fuck anything that isn't metal" phase:lol:.

NAACP Man and Kyle Jordan like this.
  4. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

She plays a few bar chords, big deal. Is that really worthy of a sig model?

I'm sorry but she maybe be a talented artist and song writer but she ain't anything special on the guitar, so in my books no, she isn't a "proper guitarist".

Apparently this is a guitar solo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VrOPFooS0

5. Konfyouzd

Songwriting =/= being a life changing guitarist... There are people who would argue that BB King does "SO much with one note" (and that's quoting many people who tell me I shouldn't play fast)... So why should it be any different if someone plays barre chords? If the song is memorable, then it's memorable whether you felt the guitar work was "worthy" or not.

And by definition a solo is just playing by yourself or playing a part that clearly stands out from what the rest of the band is doing. That's not the first solo I've heard like that. The people that paid money to see her clearly seem to enjoy it. I'm not sure anyone in that crowd gives a flying rat's hind quarters what you feel. And clearly neither does EBMM. :lol:

EDIT: And after watching a few of her videos I don't really see what's so terrible about her music. It may not be for everyone but the same could be said for 7, 8 and 9 string guitars which we seem to love here.

6. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

"Proper Guitarist" :lol:

Anyone who's picked up a guitar and plays it often is a proper guitarist, I think you'd have a hard time defining your own definition of that without alienating several fantastic players.

For the record I'm not a fan of her music either, but you sound absurdly ignorant defining what a musician is and is not.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

What the hell is this elitist ....? :lol: So now only 100-note-per-second shredders are TRUE guitarists? Get outta here. :rofl:

EDIT: Throwing this out there... One of my idols, who got a signature lineup, got famous by mostly doing nothing but barre chords his entire career.

[​IMG]

I didn't care if he wasn't a virtuoso. The dude wrote amazing music. Simplistic, but amazing music. :fawk:

And no, those aren't mine. Just got a random picture from Google. :lol:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  8. Konfyouzd

That or guys who only hit the lowest open note they have in generic chugging patterns.

9. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

"sig" models don't have to only come insane crazy cool "proper" guitarists.

if the bar chords sound good then it is a big deal. it's far more interesting to hear the perfect amount of something than over saturation wankfest.

so much ....ing pretentious salt

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Please take the time to read this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/168316-endorsements-how.html

Disagree to St Vincent or any non shredder happen to have endorsements based on their large record sales all you like, but at least that thread ought to shed some light to how endorsements actually work. :yesway:

11. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Your right, it shouldn't be determined by there sig list, but I wasn't talking quality but image of the company.

For what the last 20 years or how ever long EBMM have been around, they only had minimal sig models, all which were virtuoso's in their own right, now they randomly decide to make a sig for a pop artist and a mainstream pop/rock band.

Also from what I have seen of her she plays very minimalistic guitar, very basic stuff, if she wasn't playing and had a session player playing instead for instance you wouldn't notice any difference. Its not like she does anything special on the guitar or anything. I don't see how you can say making a living of playing guitar when a lot of her stuff there is no prominent guitar. Tons of pop/mainstream artists play guitar live or unknown to the wider audience, doesn't mean they should have a sig just for $$$ making purposes. That's why I think its EBMM cheapening the brand, it looks like a purely money making exercise.

They could very easily of just made the guitar as a non sig/new model. Its a very specific choice to choose an artist like this and make a sig. Honestly their are soooooo many epic players, not just shred, but all genres who have supported EBMM for ages and in my opinion deserve a sig model more then st.Vincent.

And if Ibanez make a crappy Taylor Swift or some other ....ty pop star a sig model I will sell all my Ibanez's :)

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

^Last 20 years?

They gave ....ing Benji Madden a guitar in 2003.

The dude from Good Charlotte. ....ing Green Day Lite. The most generic pop punk band ever.

[​IMG]

I hope that's a joke. You're overrating more than me. :lol:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. Konfyouzd

:lol:

Image of the company. I'm sure their sales will plummet now. :rolleyes:

I need some of what this kid is smoking.

14. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Smoking the truth buddy :)

Image is everything, thats what sell's mainstream music end of the day. It would be one of the reasons if not the reason why EBMM would have picked up St. Vincent as it will sell guitars. Never said anything about it hurting their sales.

To me its a sacrilege thats being committed. Imagine if Mesa Boogie did a sig amp for Lil Wayne or something. Same same as far as I'm concerned.

15. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

And in all honesty thats pretty ....ing sad, I had know idea EBMM did that.

Well lucky Ibanez wouldn't that silly would they? :bowdown:

BTW I have know idea how long EBMM have made sigs? Wasn't the Steve Morse their first ever sig model?

16. remus1710

remus1710 SS.org Regular

so much off topic here... i m getting lost in this thread...

17. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I don't get how someone could get so worked up on the fact that EBMM is giving a signature guitar to whoever.
    Losing respect for the company just because they make a signature guitar or an artist who's music you happen not to like?! seriously?! :rolleyes:
    Nobody is forcing anybody to buy that guitar, so what is the problem.
    :shrug:

If anything, I think it is actually cool to see that EBMM is making instruments for players of different genres and they are open-minded about it. :yesway:

And who is to define who is a "proper guitarist" and who is not?! :scratch:
    Whoever is selling albums with their music is definitely doing something right, whether they can play 20 notes per second or not.... :lol:

NAACP Man likes this.
  18. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

So are we talking about her musicianship here or her as a guitarist alone? Because to me it seems a little absurd that she should get a sig model with one of the best guitar manufacturers based on her "musicianship" and not her actual guitar playing.

I think proper=competent in many areas, not just i know a few chord shapes and can strum along, a 10 year old can that. If playing along is the definition of being a "proper" (insert instrument) then I'm a proper drummer, pianist, bass player, cello player etc etc etc.

If EBMM want to support her thats great, I don't have any issues there, but getting a full sig model is like the holy grail of endorsements, something some people with never get no matter how good they are. I guess marketability trumps actually been able to play well.

Anyways, I don't see why people are getting so butthurt over it, you'd think I was having a go at Clapton or Hendrix. It's just my opinion, and it's probably the same as other peoples as well. I even went around asking people at work (guys and gals) if they had heard of St.Vincent today and surprise surprise know one knew who the .... she was.

19. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Dude, with all due respect, I think the only one who is apparently getting 'butthurt' over this is you ...
    ... because EBMM is making a signature guitar for an artist you happen not to like ... :rolleyes:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  20. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I'm not worked up at all, I'm actually lol'ing the whole time at how other people are so angered just at my little opinion. If people can't see that I'm just trolling a little as well then, oh well. As if I would sell my Ibanez's if they bought out a Taylor Swift model :lol:

Selling albums or being on the radio has absolutely nothing to do with how well you play an instrument, this has been proven a gagillion times with the rubbish thats on the radio. Hot chick + unique image/sound = $$$$$. It doesn't always equal being good at a certain instrument.

And thats just how I see most sig models, for big name guitarists. Look at Korn as an example, there not technically epic players but they have done a crap load for metal, so in my book, sig models well deserved. Same with other Genres, people could argue till blue in the face that Clapton isn't that good technically but at least he shaped a whole genre/era of guitar playing.