Jason Richardson - New Song "Tendinitis"

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
It's technically brilliant but his pieces always feel like they need vocals.

The solo at 3.20 was great. I just wished he would expand on those moments of melody and create verse/choruses aka melodic structure. He certainly had the chops for it and it would feel/sound much more like a fully completed song and less of a BOO backing track.

Heavy Metal Ninjas feels like an appropriate example of modern songwriting whilst retaining the traditional 'solo guitarist' focus on melody.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
some really cool riffs and ridiculous technique, but it's not my cup of tea. Pretty much how I feel about all of jason's music.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
Have you ever wanted to know how to be a successful musician? Tune in at 11:30 to hear Misha Mansoor talk about his new book: Just Have Fun With It.:lol:

With special guest Ben Eller, and the latest addition to his “This is Why You Suck at Guitar” series: You aren’t having fun with it!

sawtoothscream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Extremely talented but not a song I'll listen to over and over. Always curious to see what he will make next though.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I feel like Jason needs a band for me to want to listen to his music. He's one of the best technical guitar players currently in the game (in my opinion, so I don't hurt anyone's feelings), but like most have said, he lacks musicality, I guess you could say. His playing blows my mind, but when you start off at 100%, staying at 100% gets boring after 30 seconds or so.

InHiding

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Resorting to jealousy is one of the weakest arguments ever... and objectively subjectivism doesn't exist and :p

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I get the sentiment most people are expressing but it's pretty simple minded to think the song itself doesn't have some kind of coherent structure.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it seems a lot of people just enjoy more nuance in their music. Which is valid, but it doesn't discredit the music in any way. It's the same conversations you heard surrounding Yngwie. It's not genius songwriting or mindblowing technicality from a songwriting standpoint but it is on a lead guitar's perspective IMO. It's just fast paced and relentless when the harder moments hit, nothing wrong with that.

I also disagree with the sentiments of him in a band setting, his own compositions hold their own ground. And knowing how little he contributed to the projects he was in is enough to perceive it as a total waste of talent.

I'd personally like to see more variety in his writing whenever a second or third LP happens. This song feels like a Deluxe Edition Bonus Track for the first album. It'll be interesting seeing him develop into his own style more and more.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
On his solo album I was kind of hoping for it to be full of songs like Behold, it just showed what he was capable of in a band setting. I do like his "Periphery and Veil of Maya" style songs with their vocalists a lot more than anything off their new albums so he certainly has the song writing abilities for a band if he were to go that route.

What's Peter Marrino up to these days?

Cacophony Pt 3 with Loomis would be insane. He'd be the perfect fit.

The solo at 3.20 was great. I just wished he would expand on those moments of melody and create verse/choruses aka melodic structure

Jason talked about this before recording his album saying he didn't want to make an instrumental album like that since Satch, Vai and countless other guys have and are already doing that so he wanted to do something knew.

Dcm81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He's still pretty young though and in general, in those younger years, most try to "show off" or prove how amazing they are. In Jason's case I see at as him trying to reach and untimately surpass his guitar idols by being as fast and technical as humanly possible.
I think, given time, he will start to slow down a bit and not try to go full blast 100% of the time as has been the case with many other shreddy/virtuoso guitarists. Tastes tend to drastically change over the years!

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Jason talked about this before recording his album saying he didn't want to make an instrumental album like that since Satch, Vai and countless other guys have and are already doing that so he wanted to do something knew.

Ah right. Well at least I now know it's a conscious effort of his. Not my cup of tea, but fair play to the dude for doing exactly what he wants and how he wants to do it.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
normally with instrumental stuff, some instruments have to replace the job of the vocals right?
I love the dude and he is extremely talented, but melt your face of "Optimus Prime" sounding djent rhythms through 90% of it, doesnt really help replace the missing vocals. Like others have said it feels like it still needs a singer over it.

I get he didnt want to do the somewhat generic idea of making an instrumental solo album that has the approach of alot of other dudes BUT...there is a reason that is done that way normally. It helps replace lack of singing. Andy James for example has that approach and his playing is equally as great and I never hear anyone complain about him doing it as boring or whatever.

JR almost has the same issue that myself is guilty of with writing. I.e, want groovy rhyhtms all played at a 1000mph

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He's still pretty young though and in general, in those younger years, most try to "show off" or prove how amazing they are. In Jason's case I see at as him trying to reach and untimately surpass his guitar idols by being as fast and technical as humanly possible.
I think, given time, he will start to slow down a bit and not try to go full blast 100% of the time as has been the case with many other shreddy/virtuoso guitarists. Tastes tend to drastically change over the years!

I can see this coming too. I really appreciate infinite technicality and skill he has, but it's musically almost beyond the point where some listeners can't understand or hear what is really happening there.

Drezik27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not to jump off the rails, but to me the dudes in Archspire (especially Relentless Mutation) are able to balance the shred and musicality aspect really well.

Paul McAleer

newborn baby
Reaction score
Dude is super proficient at the guitar, it's just hard for me to get into his material. I still feel his best marriage with musicality/song writing was with BoO and wish they would bury the hatchet and get back together.

Grumul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I liked the thing he did with the whammy bar at the end there...

Last edited:

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad other people can get excited about this, because I always did when I was younger. Now it just sounds like guitar exercises. Also that drummer needs to chill out a little bit and create some space. When I listen to him it's obvious that he has ability to write parts of a song, but just can't put it together. It's like he wants to cram as many ideas as he can into his songs and it's too chaotic. I think he could write some really good stuff if he pulled back a little bit and expanded on some of his ideas more.