Jared Dines shred collab: props to a fellow SSO member

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh, wow, this was the coolest one I saw on FB! I didn’t know he was a member here! Glad to hear I have good taste in music. :lol: I really loved his solo.

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
Pfft..whatever. I could do that if I had a 31 fret guitar too:lol:

Obviously kidding, that was crazy clean playing.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
This was the solo that a guy on FB pointed out that he treated the 1 chord as major instead of minor. Which is thought was SUPER cool, because it really gave me insight into how he composed the solo.

HungryGuitarStudent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This was the solo that a guy on FB pointed out that he treated the 1 chord as major instead of minor. Which is thought was SUPER cool, because it really gave me insight into how he composed the solo.
I’m not sure I understand what that would mean in practice for this solo

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand what that would mean in practice for this solo
Yeah, so I actually made a thread on here and talked with a guy on FB about it. The progression is VI, VII, i, where the i is just placed as a power chord. So, given the progression, it would be minor diatonically, but he chose to treat the chord as major. Since there was no minor third (aka it was a power chord) there was no dissonance, and it worked. But it’s a clever way of sounding different, and it tells me that he put a lot thought into the solo, and likely composed it carefully.

HungryGuitarStudent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, so I actually made a thread on here and talked with a guy on FB about it. The progression is VI, VII, i, where the i is just placed as a power chord. So, given the progression, it would be minor diatonically, but he chose to treat the chord as major. Since there was no minor third (aka it was a power chord) there was no dissonance, and it worked. But it’s a clever way of sounding different, and it tells me that he put a lot thought into the solo, and likely composed it carefully.
Oh ok, I understand. It’s always cool to solo over chord progressions that aren’t uniquely defined, e.g. chords with missing 3rds.

That being said, it’s easy to analyze but pretty hard to compose something so catchy.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome!

Man, that red EC-1000 in the thumbnail got me gassing again for the upcoming Christmas.