Jared Dines + Howard Jones (Ex-KSE) Collab Album Project ~ Friday

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination with Howard Jones.

For a lot of us, Killswitch Engage is one of the iconic bands of a very much bygone era. Whether that is actually due to Howard himself or if another vocalist would have been fine, it still remains that his vocals are very unique and remind us of a really fun band we used to play on repeat.

Also, how many vocalists can be in a band like Killswitch at their peak and still want to do screams at his age? It's pretty cool to see him still bringing it almost 2 decades later in his 50s rather than moving to softer styles of music.

TL;DR: Metal singer star sings metal songs good

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
584858fba6ac5607ae6e320ebfff6cae.png

conceit.JPG

EDIT: They just released a new song and uh
Nah it's not better than any era of KSE, be it Howard or Leach era.

Light the Torch was just bad imo but there's no way this sorta thing is better than any KSE even without Howard. I love their newest album even if the lyrics aren't too great. Adam and Joel just riff too damn hard and there's no way Jared Dines can get the same level of production even if he kind of is a big name. KSE records sound too damn good, the mixing is immaculate on Atonement and it's one of my favorite guitar tones ever.

junkyardsamsob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Howard still got it (fuck yeah) but his talents are wasted on Jared's shit. Another dime a dozen YouTube personality with content that peaked years ago.

junkyardsamsob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd like to throw all those people wasting their talents in shitty bands and put them into a new one and see what comes up. Jeff Loomis, Howard jones, Dave Lombardo...

Add in Rob Trujillo and bam you got yourself a full band.

katsumura78

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lots of “hate” on this album but it’s way better than the light the torch stuff. It’ll never be killswitch but it’s not bad. It’s closer to the modern metalcore coming out over the last few years and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I’m actually liking what I’m hearing here but I never followed Jared on YouTube so it is what it is.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of “hate” on this album but it’s way better than the light the torch stuff. It’ll never be killswitch but it’s not bad. It’s closer to the modern metalcore coming out over the last few years and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I’m actually liking what I’m hearing here but I never followed Jared on YouTube so it is what it is.

Disliking something =/= hate.

It’s ok to not like everything :shrug:

katsumura78

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disliking something =/= hate.

It’s ok to not like everything :shrug:

I should’ve used a different word but there’s clearly some strong opinions being thrown out about Jared. And I agree we don’t have to like everything lol, but do we need to flex our egos in a thread about a new side project? I’m not saying you’re doing that but a few have.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
It's just.....ok. Howard's still got it for sure. The clean singing seemed kinda out of place in the song imo though.

I really can't stand Jared either, but he's a lot more tolerable when he's not going out of his way to be as obnoxious as humanly possible.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Howard's voice a lot, he is one of the very few clean singing metal vocalists which I think add something constructive to a song. The rest detract heavily, *cough* VOM *cough*. Never really thought he fit with KSE though Jesse left him some big shoes to fill, but now that Jesse has come back to KSE I actually miss Howard. Guess the grass is always greener.

I'm not going to talk about Dines as I never thought he mattered one way or another. I would describe his playing as unremarkable- said with a completely neutral opinion. It's a guitar, he plays notes on it. Not someone I would bend over backwards to jam with but he is proficient enough.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Man the worst part about guitar youtube is it gave a platform to all these C tier local band guitarists, all their songs are generic as fuck

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got the last Light The Torch album after hearing one of the singles, but as I listened to the album and every damn song started off with the hi/lo passed guitar riff before breaking into the main song I had to chuckle. I seriously think all but one or two songs on that album starts off that way.

I saw them with a couple other bands, Fit For A King was one, I can’t remember who else, but Howard put them all to shame because he was the only dude who didn’t have his vocals on backing tracks. Fit For A King had their fucking guitars AND bass on backing tracks, which was evident when the dude went for a pinch harmonic, which kept playing over the PA while his hands moved somewhere else. Watching other live videos to confirm my suspicions….confirmed my suspicions. Fuckin’ lame as fuck.

I’ll check out this Jones/Dines thing because Howard writes some great melodies and I love his voice, but I’m not expecting anything magic from it. I figured it’d sound like a Trivium-soundalike with less interesting parts and Howard singing over it.

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like about the half of this thread is full of discussions about how bad Dines is instead of how is the album. We as guitar players might be a bit jealous to the fact that youtuber got a chance to create music with Howard. I can relate but anyway album turned out quite good.

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
Looks like about the half of this thread is full of discussions about how bad Dines is instead of how is the album. We as guitar players might be a bit jealous to the fact that youtuber got a chance to create music with Howard. I can relate but anyway album turned out quite good.

In all honesty, I don't rate Dines or Howard. I'm here more out of boredom.