Jackson Guys can you confirm what my MIJ model is??

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by decoy205, Oct 30, 2013.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    I recently re-acquainted myself with my two MIJ Jacksons. They are both killer guitar but need some love. I've had them since the mid '90s.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

The rhoads I call 'Elmo' I know is a concept series made in '93 per the serial number. They were released in '94. It's killer I'm going to have the electronics upgraded and refin. it in yellow.

The blue Jackson which I call 'Grover' appears to be an early 90's Fusion pro. The thing that makes me question it is that it doesnt have the little scoop in the lower cutaway that other fusions I've seen have? I believe the EMG's were added after by a previous owner so I know they are not original but that is an early 90's EMG '81 that sounds killer so that is awesome.

Someone on the Jackson forum believes it is most likely a '90 fusion pro, but i've read that the '9' in the beginning could mean '89 and that a '0' means '90. Does anyone know? I've never seen a blue one like this before.

It seems to have all the good appointments too. Bound ebony board, Scooped heel, painted neck, Good Schaller floyd.

I need help with the floyd too its beat up. I either need a few new parts or a replacement. If anyone has an suggestions on how to upgrade that let me know.

Thanks! :shred:
    -John

2. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

Strat-type looks like a Fusion Pro based on neck joint/plate, pickups and electronics setup.
    I had a 92 usa fusion and dimensions look identical.

The second is a rhoads, maybe a performer RRx.
    I'm not educated on jackson RRs

Clear pictures of the headstock front and back would be really helpful

3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

The Rhodes is a JRR 94 Cocept series. Made in '93. I'm more interested in any info on the blue one. Which is definitely a Jackson Pro. I believe it is a Fusion Pro.

Ebony Board, Bound, Sharkfins, Schaller JT 590 I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Force

Force Jackson Addict

I'd say the Fusion is a 90 or 91 Pro that's been re-finished. The painted neck was a stupid thing to do, it just looks wrong on a bolt-on. My guess is the reason it doesn't have the lower cut-away is it would've been a trans finish.

Both pretty sweet guitars.

5. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

It is possible that it was refinned a looooooooong time ago. I think the finish is original though I could definitely be wrong.

6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

That's not an original finish for a Fusion. I've been coveting one of those for a few years now :metal:

7. fastmerc

fastmerc SS.org Regular

I looks like a 92 Dinky XL that has been refinished to me. They didn't paint the necks from the factory. You will have to measure the scale to be sure. If it is a fusion thats been refinished then someone covered up a nice flametop. The flametops did not have the lower bout scoop. Actually on second look with that middle toggle switch Id say flamed fusion that was redone.

8. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

The neck is definitely a refin. Fusions all had clear maple necks. Can you measure the scale length from the nut to the 12th fret? A fusion should be gibson scale.

9. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

I gotta say, that rhoads looks pretty badass the way it is.

10. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

If it has an Ebony board as it looks, then definitely a Fusion Pro. So I think there should be a flame veneer beneath the paintjob too.

This is from the 90-91 catalog.
    [​IMG]

11. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I guess from all the responses this is leaning more toward a refin.

Unless someone changed the neck plate which is possible but unlikely it should be a 90 or 89 there's some speculation about when the pros actually started being made.

I've actually been meaning to do that. Ill check it out and report back.

Thanks man. It's that weird red color ha. Everyone who sees it says how ugly it is haha but man it's got such a huge tone and it's so easy to set up. Definitly needs a good fret dressing and some new electronics and I think it will be perfect. I have an MHD asylum plus in the bridge and it's brutal.
    Here's a track I'm working on I recorded with it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8dnmq943e6tb69/ABYSS 8.1.13.m4a

Thanks for the responses guys!

12. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

That's the catalog page that got me thinking about all this. I honestly never thought it was a refin but wow all signs are pointing to refin. I also agree they didnt have finished necks. It definitely has an ebony board. A great one too, there are no pours man its so smooth. Was the flame maple a vaneer? I gotta pop open the controls again and see what's up.

13. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Looks to be a refinished 90' fusion pro. The necks were never painted on the fusions. Not sure why someone would paint the neck. My guess is they wanted it to look more like a soloist. Great guitar either way. Whats wrong with the Floyd? Looks pretty clean in the pics.

14. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Yeah i'm guessing whoever did the EMG's did the refin at this point. I got the guitar in '96 from my guitar tech in college.

The floyd has some issues. The A-string block seems to have been changed or something its weird and one of the intonation screws or screw holes is stripped and the knife edges are pretty worn. A few times I almost had a heart attack when the thing slipped. I was only messing around doing dive bombs but it scared the crap outta me.

If it is a flame top fusion I would feel compelled to see whats under the blue.
    It has some black primer under the blue. I think you're right that they were trying to make it look like a USA soloist. I don't think it looks bad and the neck doesn't stick at all.

15. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

It is indeed a 24 3/4" scale. So it's most likely a fusion refin unless they were offered in this color which I don't think they were. I think it was just flame top, red, and black all with unfinished necks.