Jackson custom shop experiences?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by teamSKDM, Aug 10, 2019.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

hey guys I just wanted to know if anyone has had more recent experiences placing orders and reciving guitars within the last 2-3 years with the jackson custom shop. recently I won some money from an accident lawsuit and my favorite guitar ive ever played was a jackson sl2h , my only gripe being i wish it had 2 more strings. now with this lawsuit settling essentially Im interested in ordering an sl2h 8 string with 28" scale stainless frets and regular sl2h stuff like binding , sharkfins, floyd rose, metallic black paint. Is there any reason jackson would reject this build? what could I expect in terms of what to pay , how long to wait , and how interactive jackson will be along the whole process? really want an idea of how things have been recently since most information is older.

2. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Just make sure to specify 24 frets and not 23.

ikarus, Zado, chipchappy and 13 others like this.
  3. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

oh god dont tell me this happenned to somebody

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Yes, but I think the delivery of it was in 2013. Don't take that as a defense...only pointing out that it was outside of your window.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  5. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I got a custom shop rr-1 through a dealer. It was just under a yeAr. It’s hands down the best guitar I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had a BUNCH!). I also have a kelly on order through the custom shop as well. Build time is around 13 months + from what I was told.

teamSKDM likes this.
  6. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Definitely make sure you don't accidentally specify 25 frets.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Choice of dealer is important.

Go with someone who handles a lot of CS (not just Select) Jackson stuff. They'll be able to handle your questions and concern much faster, easier, and more accurately. Don't try to safe a few bucks going with an inexperienced shop, especially with a build like this.

I highly recommend Matt's Music.

As for price, you're probably looking at at least $6k, as anything above 6 strings is automatically a Masterbuilt vs. Select.

8. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

^adding to that, you should also know they haven’t been taking Masterbuilt orders in a couple years, so your chances of finding a dealer who can actually get one done is...maybe not impossible—some dealers seem to have a little leeway on what they can push through—but let’s call it improbable. On the bright side, if you happen to like B8s, they tend to go super cheap on the used market.

9. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

What's so wrong with that?

No one ever sh!ts bricks at 21, 22, and 24.... why not 23?!?

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It is a joke referencing someone's order for a custom 24 fret Jackson, and Jackson built him one with 23 by mistake.

11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

As @MaxOfMetal pointed out, Masterbuilt orders are closed to pretty much everyone at the moment. @zimbloth might be able to swing something, he gets ridiculous shit in on a regular basis.

12. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

At least as of last year, Jackson would not accept a Masterbuild order from any dealer I contacted (and it was all of them as far as I know).

An 8 string automatically means Masterbuild.

So unless things have changed at their shop, there simply is no amount of money that can get you an 8-string custom shop Jackson. They are building only for endorses artists. Which is extremely irritating. They built some hideous 7-strings for the last NAMM show but wouldn't make me a 7-string Dinky or Soloist etc. I didn't even bother to ask about an 8-string and just ordered from Schecter instead.

I hope I'm wrong! Matt's Music and the Music Zoo are great. I'd start by contacting them.

Masoo2 and StevenC like this.
  14. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Call Sweetwater.

15. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Haha, I had a similar experience, wanted to order a Rhoads 7, they wouldn’t do it. Ended up with a bunch of Ibanez 7s instead :p

cardinal likes this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

Further adding, I tried looking for an "open" Masterbuilt spot.

Nope.

The one guy who I was able to talk to directly wanted stupid money for the slot and I got no assurances from Jackson if they'd even re-spec the not even started build.

The JCS is basically LACS now. :lol:

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Is it still possible to order a Fender CS? I was under the impression that Jackson CS and Fender CS were essentially the same operation at this point. How come JCS is so overwhelmed and not Fender?

18. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

As much as I love jackson, which my love for them will never die,

The jackson custom shop IMO isn't really a custom shop anymore. You want to do a custom shape? Nope or you have to wait 5-6 years for one, and that is if they don't screw it up.

You want a custom neck shape? Nope, you can't do it. You want a custom wood top? You are going to have to go through a super strenuous process which could take months in order to just get a yes or no answer from them.

Plus for what I would want (if they will even do it) it would cost me 5-7k and at that point I could go to a different shop and get what I want with no boundaries for probably that price or for less. It is just the sad state of things.

And to add, they aren't even doing master builds right now. I don't know how serious the backlog is, but to wait 3-4 years for one either makes me think that there are a shit ton of orders, or they just do not have enough workers to supply the demand quick and efficient enough.

19. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

It it's different builders, and a lot less of them making Jacksons. That brings up the question as to why Jackson couldn't get more builders, but maybe that's easier said than done. Regardless, it doesn't seem to be a priority for Fender, which seems weird as there's obviously demand.

XPT707FX and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

There's some pretty longstanding politics within Fender that has kept the individual custom shops (Fender, Jackson, Gretsch, Guild, Benedetto, etc.) functionally separate.

They have their own facilities, staff, budget, and very, very rarely share any of that outside special collaborations between individual team members.

FMIC has seen Jackson come and go from the spotlight, so it's probably them being cautious. They also have some pretty stringent hiring rules and hierarchy, understandably, which makes an expansion more complex.

AkiraSpectrum and StevenC like this.