eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grabbed a DK24 like this one. It has a Floyd but I’m still considering locking tuners because I love them for restringing. It has the Charvel branded tuners now. What locking tuners will be a direct drop in? Fender I’m guessing? Schaller?

View attachment 112107
Gotohs. Also, the Hipshots with the UMP fit nicely.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing for my DK24, I've been told by a few people in the Charvel group on FB these are the ones to go with
I have these on a bunch of guitars. Great tuners, and the UMP is stupid simple to use.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing for my DK24, I've been told by a few people in the Charvel group on FB these are the ones to go with
Nice. I have those on my Aristides and they’re pretty awesome. I may gab those. Thanks!

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So this Pro Mod DK24 has a 1000 series Floyd. Seems pretty good to me. Any reason I might upgrade to a titanium block from FU tone?

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So this Pro Mod DK24 has a 1000 series Floyd. Seems pretty good to me. Any reason I might upgrade to a titanium block from FU tone?
I can't speak for titanium, but I did upgrade the trem in my Pro-Mod San Dimas to OFR and an oversized brass block. It did have a slight increase in sustain, but it seemed like I was switching to higher output pickups. Made the thing sound louder and clearer in my case. Not sure if titanium would get you similar results.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't speak for titanium, but I did upgrade the trem in my Pro-Mod San Dimas to OFR and an oversized brass block. It did have a slight increase in sustain, but it seemed like I was switching to higher output pickups. Made the thing sound louder and clearer in my case. Not sure if titanium would get you similar results.
Thanks. I’ve seen the official Floyd oversized brass blocks and was wondering about those too. Seems there are a few different size choices.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve seen the official Floyd oversized brass blocks and was wondering about those too. Seems there are a few different size choices.
Make sure you get the right one...the length should be etched on the side of the block. The stock one that came with my OFR was for top-mounted/non recessed floyds so it was too long for the san dimas and wouldn't allow the trem to move properly when the back plate was on. When I ordered the big brass block, I got the correct size and everything worked like it was supposed to.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The brass blocks actually weigh more than the Ti blocks. I understand Ti mania for some things, but the block never made sense.
I'd really like (though it would be impossible to control adequately) a comparison on the same guitar/trem between the different block types with negative summing so we'd actually *know* if they made a difference...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure you get the right one...the length should be etched on the side of the block. The stock one that came with my OFR was for top-mounted/non recessed floyds so it was too long for the san dimas and wouldn't allow the trem to move properly when the back plate was on. When I ordered the big brass block, I got the correct size and everything worked like it was supposed to.
Yeah, OFRs generally come with 42mm, and those probably need a 37mm.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I got the 37mm brass and it’s the right size.

I’m going to need to get the body routed a bit to get the D-Tuna working like I want. After getting things put together, the d-tuna hits the body when pushed in. So much so that I can’t even adjust it to get to standard tuning.

At least it’s looking good with a few upgrades.

CF4F1B66-5167-43AF-932F-D32BBC42F575.jpeg
DFFA7ED2-B5DA-4F94-B063-DC731ED4D384.jpeg
F26DC7E9-1570-4FF5-8E49-91AD65A95057.jpeg

You really hate having $400.

Lol. Yeah I caught that part later. Oops. Went with brass.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I got the 37mm brass and it’s the right size.

I’m going to need to get the body routed a bit to get the D-Tuna working like I want. After getting things put together, the d-tuna hits the body when pushed in. So much so that I can’t even adjust it to get to standard tuning.

At least it’s looking good with a few upgrades.

View attachment 112458
View attachment 112457
View attachment 112459

Lol. Yeah I caught that part later. Oops. Went with brass.
Don’t route get a tonevise they are design for recessed routes

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Regarding locking tuners on Floyd rose guitars: why not pull the string through with the ball end at the tuner? I saw Steve Vai’s guitar tech do that and I thought it was genius!

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
picked up this DK24 Dark amber a couple of weeks ago and just got it back rom my tech today
2 volume pots (both push/pull) 3 way switch and Suhr Aldich/SSV pickups
so much better now. the Full shred was very thin sounding. Also swapped the trem arm for a push in assembly.
Not as nice as my MIJ Socal but it will be a good gigging workhorse

I have an alder body DK24 and find the full shred to be unbearable. I actually thought it might sound a little better in a mahogany body like your DK24. But sounds like with a floating bridge it’s still too thin.

I have a set of Crunch Lab + Liquifire going in soon.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an alder body DK24 and find the full shred to be unbearable. I actually thought it might sound a little better in a mahogany body like your DK24. But sounds like with a floating bridge it’s still too thin.

I have a set of Crunch Lab + Liquifire going in soon.
I used my dk at a gig Friday night
The Suhrs I put in are a huge improvement
It sounded great

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Regarding locking tuners on Floyd rose guitars: why not pull the string through with the ball end at the tuner? I saw Steve Vai’s guitar tech do that and I thought it was genius!
IME it's mostly that people just don't like the look aesthetically. I personally don't cut the ball end off.