Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
I wonder if that is the one that popped up on reverb a few days ago for 3000.
Those prices are nuts these days. Remember when i got the white with black bevels one for around 700 and sold it for about the same. Now they want more then they were new back then :/ one of the only guitars i ever regret selling though, great score, enjoy!

Nah, this one wasn't listed anywhere, fell into my lap via IRL happenstance. I did pay a little more than original MSRP for it though (although not 3 grand!!) Justified it as destiny calling + inflation :lol: cheers!

Putting lightweight tuners also help. Shaving 50grs out of a headstock is already noticeable, and you can add extra mass to the body with a big brass block for the tremolo.

:agreed: If @soul_lip_mike wants locking tuners I've measured Gotoh SGS510s as lighter than Hipshots and Sperzels
I cut my teeth playing an original Jackson RR on tour from 84 until about 1991 and sold it when lost record contract and moved from the touring to the Entertainment lawyer side of things. Have not touched or played a Jackson since then.

I want something really nice and it can be a RR or Super Strat style. What would you recommend. See my signature for guitars I have now and general budget issues . . . none within reasons, but want to be smart about it.

between availability and import tax you might be better off looking into the new MJ series rather than a USA. They're doing a Rhoads, a load of Dinkies and a Soloist

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah, this one wasn't listed anywhere, fell into my lap via IRL happenstance. I did pay a little more than original MSRP for it though (although not 3 grand!!) Justified it as destiny calling + inflation :lol: cheers!
The one you got was also limited as it resulted from a mistake. Someone mistook the regular specs with a custom order. therefore that one has the white binding and reversed inlays, but also a mahogany neck (iirc) and a thicker neck profile.

so congrats on your new limited guitar ;)

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I cut my teeth playing an original Jackson RR on tour from 84 until about 1991 and sold it when lost record contract and moved from the touring to the Entertainment lawyer side of things. Have not touched or played a Jackson since then.

I want something really nice and it can be a RR or Super Strat style. What would you recommend. See my signature for guitars I have now and general budget issues . . . none within reasons, but want to be smart about it.
Jackson Kelly? You need something explorer shaped. Otherwise, I'd go with an EGC. I just got one. It's incredible, no Floyd, but it's the thinnest neck ever and you can def shred on it.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so Randall at Chondro guitars alluded that he has to wait until end of July about something coming that's going to "correct" how overpriced new USA Jacksons are...any idea what this could be?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

:agreed: If @soul_lip_mike wants locking tuners I've measured Gotoh SGS510s as lighter than Hipshots and Sperzels

between availability and import tax you might be better off looking into the new MJ series rather than a USA. They're doing a Rhoads, a load of Dinkies and a Soloist

SGS510s with aluminum buttons here. They rule.

so Randall at Chondro guitars alluded that he has to wait until end of July about something coming that's going to "correct" how overpriced new USA Jacksons are...any idea what this could be?

He probably means somewhere else to spend your money. I seriously doubt Jackson will ever cut down prices of USA models (since people keep buying them).

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SGS510s with aluminum buttons here. They rule.

He probably means somewhere else to spend your money. I seriously doubt Jackson will ever cut down prices of USA models (since people keep buying them).

yeah I assumed that or maybe another MIJ kinda line that would bring the quality for less $$$

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
The one you got was also limited as it resulted from a mistake. Someone mistook the regular specs with a custom order. therefore that one has the white binding and reversed inlays, but also a mahogany neck (iirc) and a thicker neck profile.

so congrats on your new limited guitar ;)

Huh! I know these are "mistake" limited run-identifiable by the inlays and binding - I'd probably not have gone for it if not for the binding frankly - but the neck wood/profile being different is news to me. I figured the neck being thicker than my Kelly was just standard as I know the Rhoads profile is marginally thicker by default. Any source on the neck being mahogany?

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
sadly no.. I saw it on Reverb years ago and was thinking about buying it till I saw neck pocket cracks :( Always wanted an ESP RR / RV with concorde headstock though.. I love how it's little bit more elongated and wider - ESP does Jackson headstock better imo haha
This yours?

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Just found this in Europe. One of John 5’s guitars.

Attachments

• 53B544F6-B2CF-4B10-AFFE-0DC0FD9505F6.jpeg
    53B544F6-B2CF-4B10-AFFE-0DC0FD9505F6.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DEED72A5-6CFE-4AC4-959F-6F1E62E3C617.jpeg
    DEED72A5-6CFE-4AC4-959F-6F1E62E3C617.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 48
  • F8DF5323-B6BA-4121-9F6C-088B8BBAD4CC.jpeg
    F8DF5323-B6BA-4121-9F6C-088B8BBAD4CC.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 45292448-401F-41D0-BF38-0DBFB8409A2F.jpeg
    45292448-401F-41D0-BF38-0DBFB8409A2F.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 50

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
my Japanese girls . The white one started life as a H/H Socal with a black pickguard. I found an Adrian Smith H/S/S pg on reverb for cheap
loaded2 1/4 pounders (the correct middle one as well) and added a push pull pot to split the JB.
Besides my Trans Black Jackson SL-1 this is my other go-to Gigging guitar. It has one of the best necks on it I've ever come across.
it is the reason I'm curious about the Dark Amber DK24's.
The WildCard #4 is also awesome but I already have 3 other H/S/S guitars so sadly that one rarely gets played anymore.
Before I found the white one it was my main "strat , s that one also has a 1/4 pounder in the neck and a push pull pot.
again a glorious neck , the MIJ Charvels are fantastic guitars.
I need to find it a new home.

bigswifty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Can any of you knowledgeable lads or lasses compile a short list of the best bang for buck ~$1k Charvel/Jackson models for me, new or used?

I'm really into the So-Cal style super/fat-strat. Leaning towards Charvel as well, but more than happy to hear out an argument in favor of Jackson too.

I just want to know what I should be on the look out for, should something pop up into the marketplace!

Many thanks 🤟

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Can any of you knowledgeable lads or lasses compile a short list of the best bang for buck ~$1k Charvel/Jackson models for me, new or used?

I'm really into the So-Cal style super/fat-strat. Leaning towards Charvel as well, but more than happy to hear out an argument in favor of Jackson too.

I just want to know what I should be on the look out for, should something pop up into the marketplace!

Many thanks 🤟
The Charvel pro-mod offerings are in the $1K range and are very good guitars for the money. I picked up a new pro-mod san dimas about 2 years ago for $850. They're made in Mexico and the quality is great. They come with good pickups and electronics and decent hardware. I swapped out the hardware in mine for a few hundred dollars and have never been happier.

Every so-cal or san dimas I've picked up in a music store over the last 5 years has felt great and appeared solidly built. I don't have any first hand experience with the DK24s, but those might be in your price range as well with some added comfort features like a sculpted heel. The san dimas I have has a block heel which is fine by me, but my USA guthrie govan has a rounded corner around one of the bolts that makes reaching the 24th fret a lot easier. So you may want to find a model with that option for easier access to those last frets.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
so there is some discussion over on TGP about the new Charvel neck profiles being crap. I have not played a 2022 and this DK I just got is the first MIM I have played (2020)
the necks on these 3 are all very similar and what I'd expect a Charvel neck to feel like. The DK neck feels very similar to the white Socal neck
Anyone play a brand new San Dimas or Socal or DK and notcie a much squarer blockier feeling neck?

sonofabias

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We got Ibanez, Carvin and Music man having their own clubs and threads going on here. Now let's post the pics of us proud Jackson owners!

My Soloist, favorite guitar I own, love it more then even my Carvins-

Jackson SL2H Soloist pictures by church2224 - Photobucket
I got my first Jackson last Friday
Jeff Loomis SL7 Soloist , now my favorite 7 . Easier and faster playing than my Majesty 7 , which very pleasantly surprised me ! 😎

Attachments

• 830E0DDE-E618-4CCD-AC47-6DB22019BE86.jpeg
    830E0DDE-E618-4CCD-AC47-6DB22019BE86.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 6642E090-309B-4088-BB26-AF0E2F1DBC21.jpeg
    6642E090-309B-4088-BB26-AF0E2F1DBC21.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23