Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

But the thing is that most amp manuals are useless. But not Mesa's. If you have Mesa gear, everything you want to know is probably in the manual.

Ej:
    "My Triaxis is broken!!! Presence doesn't work on Rectifier mode!!!"

The manual:
    3. The PRESENCE control is too far back in the circuit to have a major effect on the timbre of LEAD 1 Red. Its effect is almost imperceptible, apart from very high levels or very deep settings. This is completely normal and shouldn't worry you.

We think TREBLE and MIDDLE offer enough space for tone shaping. The PRESENCE controls in circuits of a similar nature are always located in the output stage of the amplifier. Use PRESENCE in LEAD 1 Red only for fine adjustment control of the attack and sound, and in the remaining seven modes as the normal tone control element that it was intended.

[​IMG]

Edika and TimmyPage like this.
  2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Same, although your work is a lot better than mine. ;)

I started doing my own setups because I'm a picky bitch when it comes to how my guitars play. I'm venturing into doing things like finishes and fret crowning now, which is nerve-wracking but at least I'm only screwing up my projects. :lol:

3. eaeolian

I feel like literally half the posts about Mesas in the first few years of this place boiled down to RTFM. :lol:

technomancer likes this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I take it you've never experienced a 5150 owner asking why they don't have any preamp tubes. :lol:

It's scary because we know how important fretwork is and how much the finish affects how the guitar is perceived, but it's all about repetition, and until you grind the frets level with the board or mix the wrong stripper you can pretty much redo the work endlessly if you make an "oops"...which I've done plenty. :lol:

5. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

Not to change the subject, but has anyone got their hands on the new x series 7 string V's? Their site is saying 26.5" scale on both, but most retailers have it at 25.5". Would like to know for sure, because a longer scale Rhoads sounds nice lol.

6. eaeolian

The prior years' were 25.5". I think the new ones (2021) are 26.5"

Perge likes this.
  7. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say it is innate. Intuitive, perhaps. The more you work on stuff, the more that skill base becomes transferrable to other projects that you might not have direct experience with. Being a tinkerer isn't a replacement for expertise, though. My first couple years working in a mechanics/machinist shop on an industrial site were a real eye-opener in terms of seeing how frequently reference libraries are consulted in that line of work. In my opinion I feel the intellectual side of those jobs is underappreciated. Apprentices and journeymen often differ in how they approach a repair, yet not in the sense that one uses reference and the other doesn't.

As for working on amps and guitars, I think it is mostly just confidence. Some people will undertake repairs and others simply won't. I think it is an attitude rather than a background with handiwork that separates the two.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Like I said, it's not really a knowledge/intelligence thing. Very smart, very capable people just can't "do".

There's definitely a confidence barrier though.

9. Sermo Lupi

True, I just don't think being adept with your hands has much to do with it either. Booming business for Haynes manuals and iFixit guides have shown that for decades. All kinds of people can "do", but confidence would seem to be the common trait between them as opposed to how much they use their hands (or brain).

There's also a lot of handy people who treat mobile phones like a disposable good, so, you know. People come in all types :lol:

10. eaeolian

That's because we never actually pay full price for them in one shot. If we actually coughed up that $1K, people would be a lot more careful with them - and also keep them longer.

11. Sermo Lupi

Obviously there's all kinds of reasons, including some falling in the domain of Right to Repair. I was mainly referring to the "I don't do computers" types who could be journeyman tradesmen, yet they won't go anywhere near tech on principle.

12. eoinbmorg

eoinbmorg SS.org Regular

I made a few partial covers of cool 80s songs with my Charvel So Cal and new (to me) Jackson DXMG. The sound quality is meh and the playing is shaky, but I had fun with the guitars and thought it'd be cool to share. And I'm guessing the overlap of people in this thread who also enjoy 80s glam/hair metal is pretty high! I'm hoping to keep working on them and do some more songs that don't have many covers on YT already.

I love the neck profile on the DXMG. It's more of a C shape than the 2017 pro mods, which I find have a noticable "shoulder" that makes them a bit more U shaped. The whole guitar is at least a pound lighter too, which is nice (although my So Cal is probably the heaviest strat I've ever held). I couldn't get the "Plymouth Road Runner" sticker off even with goo-gone, but honestly it's kind of grown on me as a piece of Americana

I can already feel the GAS for another reverse headstock dinky/solosit creeping in. Unfortunately I think the angled base plate on licensed floyds is super ugly and Jackson used those on most of the reverse models. This DXMG had its trem swapped to a Kramer stamped one with a square plate, which doesn't look too bad since the body is black anyway and the negative space kind of blends in. I'm thinking about trying to score a Charvel Super Stock 1888.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    ThunderMoose and 73647k like this.
  13. Nick Castelluccio

Nick Castelluccio SS.org Regular

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
  14. eaeolian

Nick Castelluccio likes this.
  15. Nick Castelluccio

thx man

16. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Nick Castelluccio likes this.
  17. Nick Castelluccio

18. Nick Castelluccio

i wanted this one for a while.... i just returned a jackson wildcard... for this

wild.png

19. Jesquid

Jesquid SS.org Regular

Man I really wanted to get this model but I went for a Charvel instead.

sirbuh likes this.
  20. Nick Castelluccio

which Charvel?