Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

No it didn't. Given I live in EU the price would've been subject to 24% VAT and customs.

2. mitou

mitou SS.org Regular

Yeah that kinda money is hard to justify.

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Are they also trying to become a lifestyle brand? I've seen used Jacksons going for ridiculous prices now, guess it's going to get worse.

4. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

2/3 years ago you could find some USA jackson for the price of the new China made one, like 1300 euros.
    Reverb doesn't help at all but those prices are insane right now. But as they raised the price of the USA made ones, some will find logical to raise the price of the pre owned market....
    Even if you can find good deals pop up sometimes ( i paid 600 euros for a JJ1 4 yrs ago, 1000 for an AT-1, they're not the most loved ones but still usa quality. I had a 1987 RR1 for 1300 euros too....) seeing aY2V around 3000 with damaged headstock now when it was 1600 3/4 yrs ago, it's hard.... let's wait a bit to see if it settles down...

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They're way over capacity right now. To the point it's affecting quality, morale, artist builds, etc.

So they're raising prices to reduce orders.

Prices aren't going to drop until the supply evens out. FMIC is hoping for that to happen over three to five years, so not particularly fast.

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If that's the case then probably I'll wait for a few more years before I have a look at Jackson again!

7. MaxOfMetal

By then, the prices will probably be even higher! :lol:

I think some folks didn't realize what a deal Jackson Selects were and it's likely never going to be again.

vertigo08, Kyle Jordan and Edika like this.
  8. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Yes and no - Custom selects were a great deal - Select series was on par with ESP Standard, spec wise. But not as consistent. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I am shocked at how lazy and indifferent the builders were in 2000-2010 at the Corona plant. Just this morning I set up a 2007 SL2H which was a pretty nice guitar (cheap flame veneer notwithstanding) but it had the infamous bridge misalignment issue bad. That is, the Floyd is mounted too much to the treble side resulting in strings hanging right at the fret bevel. I've seen dozens of these - just as many as proper USA Soloists from that era. Just terrible QC.

But if you get a good one, it's pretty good!

9. MaxOfMetal

You're talking about guitars that pre-date the Select line (~2014 if I remember correctly), which is what replaced the USA production line and is what caused the huge CS backlog.

Jackson had it pretty rough from about 2006 till probably around 2011/2012 if we're being honest. From the brink if not being able to run (word is, paychecks started bouncing in 2009) a rough teething period as FMIC took over, and then some pretty poor calls as far as who was running the shop. Luckily, when management turned over last they saw the potential and Jackson USA operations have been really solid, minus some very public "oops" moments.

At least now they're catching it early instead of letting the brand implode again.

vertigo08, groverj3 and Perge like this.
  10. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Okay now I understand you better - indeed the Custom Select line, which was a great idea on paper to go back to the legendary days of the eighties, was great value for money. I do believe the USA production series was called 'USA Select' and that was what I meant originally. Jackson seemed to update the pricing in staggered manner with years between each step.

My two later Custom Select Soloists (2018 and 2019) both had some serious flaws. These new ones better be absolutely perfect or the whole thing looks like a bad joke

11. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

$300 extra for stainless frets? $300 extra for a reverse headstock????? and $20 for different gauge strings???????????????

Holy fuck they are raping people in the ass....

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If you place an order, it's consensual.

vertigo08, Baconjerky, Bodes and 5 others like this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Those are just MSRP. Realistically, you'll be paying closer to 50% to 60% of those individual prices. But, again, they want people to be deterred by pricing right now.

The $20 charge is basically a setup fee, which isn't bad in of itself, but chances are, the dealer will handle that for you for free if you wanted a particular setup.

Jackson is basically going to churn out as many of the most popular blanks as possible, as fast as possible, and by raising the option prices they're hoping to persuade that do put in orders to not deviate as much.

14. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

D31D65E9-B506-4DEC-ADC0-F37CC82FEC5A.jpeg 00A55804-AB7A-456B-90B4-3082FB820C7A.jpeg Daisies on fire this week end!

DISTORT6 likes this.
  15. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

People act like Jackson USAs are built on an assembly line. There are like 6 people there (hyperbole, but it's a low number). When things weren't going well early in the FMIC era it was due to lack of a clear business strategy, low margin imports from Japan (I loved them too, but it's hard to make a guitar for $700 in Japan and make money), and poor sales overall. Now, the business is solid, but the volume has become a problem. Custom shop guitars aren't really high margin and there isn't much reason to grow the custom shop. However, it's not ever going to go away.

Blame the people in the Jackson USA Facebook group for this, and similar. Those are the sorts that can't even play and order a custom shop guitar every year.

Max has the same perspective I've heard from my dealer friends. The volume is just insane, and they are WAY over capacity. Don't expect a price decrease. By the time they work through the backlog inflation will have adjusted prices such that they aren't so insane anymore as-is.

From their perspective, it reduces orders and enough are still willing to pay at that level that they consider it a win-win.

The custom select line was a really great value while it lasted. I'm glad I got mine in 2015.

16. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

Adios Alpha/Omega… In went the D Activators tonight… Wooo! Agression in spades! Fast attack. Strong mids. Tight chugs. Massive output. Thrash weapons!!

(Definitely recommend .047 cap. Was too bright with a .022 for my taste.)

9B5545E8-BB8D-412D-99F3-BE35B4626A9D.jpeg

75EFDD02-D4D3-4CA9-916E-0DE96A5E9DAE.jpeg

0D34B87B-23BC-45DC-82D5-B078A2EE17AC.jpeg

17. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I guess I'm a madman, removing tone controls entirely on everything.

These wildcards look so solid.

I hope they keep that series. I could see them doing yearly limited runs with specs inspired by custom stuff. That plus more finishes for the MJ series would offset the unattainable custom shop stuff to a certain degree.

18. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

19. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Just when I think I've convinced myself to sell both of my SL2Hs, @KnightBrolaire and @narad get me looking at Jacksons again and I stumble across this:

I love that Jackson seems to have not just slapped an 8 string neck on a 6 string body (I'm looking at you, Ibanez) thus, not obliterating upper fret access. That looks to be the same space between the neck and the lower horn as on my SL2Hs.

Sigh... Perhaps I should not fight it. I've been playing for 34 years, and for 25 or so of those years a Jackson was my go to. Even when It wasn't the top spot, my Jacksons have been right there along side of it.

Decisions decisions...

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

At the same time, the price of that guitar must be astronomical with their current prices.

LCW and Kyle Jordan like this.