Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

The Jackson USA Facebook group has a lot of members and stuff changes hands pretty frequently. There are some really fanboyish people there though, and some boomer dads. However, it's one of the better guitar Facebook groups.

As far as how the quality compares to ESP Japan. That's tough to judge, as I'm not SUPER up on their stuff. Being seemingly rarer than USA Jacksons. Personally, the examples I've played have been comparable. Jackson doesn't do the crazy stuff you see from ESP (anymore, they have done weird/crazy stuff in the past). I think the general concensus that exists out there is that ESP Japan is more consistent than USA Jackson. Jackson has a few eras of production with their own quirks. Usually defined by where their custom/USA shop is located.

The Jackson Custom Shop has a reputation for "surprises." Colors being weird one-offs, dealer runs that get mysterious extra guitars (likely due to messing up the build, starting over, and shipping out both guitars), etc.

Current era custom/USA stuff has been more consistent, but also more limited in options as the shop is completely swamped with orders and they're turning down work to get through the backlog of "SL2H in this color, that color, etc." They probably hit a low point in the late 90s and early 00s. Though, my SL2H from 2006 is the best guitar I've ever played.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  2. evade

evade enthusiast

These are Japanese Jacksons from the early 2000's.

Attached Files:

73647k, Samark, Masoo2 and 5 others like this.
  3. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Catastrophic brain fart??

Millul likes this.
  4. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

The FB group is pretty good and there are heaps of gems there. Most of the guys are ex-JCFonline - seems like they all migrated to FB as JCF is almost dead.

Some nice ones from the group:

96a297070a6fbbb82a8a7cc195945543.png
    b3b8cf792ce8660827c1afbccf3e0121.jpg
    2115f04cf9170f8e68de1a07fc5496b0.jpg
    96bd2692c204b81bec9a568884e43611.jpg
    7858620a89ef658a8d338c3817394cc1.jpg
    7c58f0b1b682d26746b1443db9c1ba72.jpg

Attached Files:

5. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Yeah that group is quite representative of the society as a whole - about three guys own like 80% of all custom Jacksons :D

Here's a Dinky I haven't posted there yet (90's goodies)

(For some reason that group had a lot of guns in it so I included one as well)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Hell yea!

7. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Full flame !!! nice !

8. groverj3

Beautiful Dinky.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that group is responsible for the insane used market for USA Jacksons currently, and the price hikes. Someone on there is receiving a new custom shop guitar seemingly weekly, and whenever a dealer posts something they just got in a member buys it in about an hour.

I miss JCFOnline. It was kind of my second guitar forum back in the day after this place. Basically a ghost town now.

The thing I don't like about the J/C fanboys though (yes, I'm aware I could count as one, since I only own Jacksons) is that many have developed this weird obsession with various time periods, getting original parts (even when those parts are of questionable quality), and turning those groups into more "collecter centric" than "player centric." It's a lot of what I don't like about the "vintage" gear collectors, and they drive up prices for the rest of us plebs out here.

There's a dude on there who owns like 50 custom shop models, and frequently takes pictures of them posing by his BMW that he also never uses. It's a bit ridiculous. But hey, whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Kyle Jordan and Edika like this.
  9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

That amber SLAT with the topmount Floyd is the shiznit.

Samark likes this.
  10. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Thanks!

I agree it's getting ridiculous. I don't mind your random hopeful with a 5k+ price tag on a nice custom, but now even the run of the mill production stuff list at $2500 or more. I paid $1700 new for an SL2H in 2008 and I had to send it back 'cos it was crap :) Inflation doesn't really tell the whole story as it's by definition general price level change.

I see a reinforcement loop going on there in the FB group (or several) where a couple of forum favourite vendors market their pricey stock stuff and then poof - Reverb goes off the rails. Which in turn proves the ask price was 'right' because of all the others.

Well I guess my Jacksons are now worth a lot more than I paid for them, but then I couldn't buy anything in their place

11. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Yeah that's just insane. I'm always a player first and yeah I have an eye for the extravagant but still, considering the prices you can pick up stuff on a similar level like a Mayones or Skervesen for around 3k if you're not going too insane, 4.5k for a plain white KE2 is dumb

12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Oh boy....that is niiiice. Is the color more of brown trans black or does it have a dark greenish tint to it in person?

13. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

It's so hard to say - depends on lighting. I'd say my newer Jacksons are more purple tinted whereas this particular Dinky is more brown.

[​IMG]

14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'm a member of the Jackson USA group and it did increase my GAS at one point for Jackson USA's. But yeah some people are a bit too much there and the collector aspect really annoys me so I don't follow the page as much. Plus at some point some members where continuously flaunting their guns which Infind distasteful to say the least.

I mean if you're big on your guns that's fine. We have members here that are too but there's a specific thread for them to show them off without I or other members that are completely uninterested to stay clear.

groverj3 likes this.
  15. groverj3

That group has some good guitar pr0n but it's pretty tacky at times.

There's literally a member there who posts video of his tigers (or lions?).

Several lawyers who don't play, but own 20 custom guitars, etc.

However, it's probably the best way to find these rare guitars, and most of the members aren't so over the top. I just remember the ridiculous ones.

Edika likes this.
  16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You can't be surprised that the types of people that own tigers also own Jackson guitars.

Emperoff, feraledge, Edika and 2 others like this.
  17. groverj3

The guy is a former endorsee that was dropped after FMIC bought them out as well. They're an entertaining bunch around those parts.

18. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

Just when I thought I was done buying another guitar, Just made an offer for a Charvel 475 Desert Crackle. Any one know how much they go for now a days?

feraledge and 73647k like this.
  19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I just imagine most of the people who post the coolest CS stuff on the Jackson USA Fb group only play Bon Jovi and Def Lepard type of stuff. Total dad rock fans.

groverj3 likes this.
  20. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

This guitar was my introduction into Charvel and Jackson, wish I still had it. Post some pics if you do end up buying it. I'd be willing to spend somewhere around $800 on one of these in decent shape