Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I’ve had MIJ Jackson’s from the 90’s and early 2000’s with licensed Floyds and “Duncan Designed” pickups. They are definitely out there. Great guitars, and the pickups were decent too. Just FYI, in case that has put you off from any purchases.

ScatteredDimension and mastapimp like this.
  2. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Looks like a DR5. As others have pointed out, the made in japan sticker was removed. I have a 1996 KE3 that had the sticker in that same neck location.

As for the serial, here's guidance from a Jackson forum:
    For import models:

-Most Japanese-made bolt-ons bear a neckplate with a 6-digit serial number similar to the USA models. These are easily separated from their USA counterparts by the fact that the Imports do not have the Jackson address on the neck plate. There were a few Japanese-made models that did not have a neckplate (a Kelly model and I think the import JJ model).
    The serial numbers of import models indicate which year they were made by the first number: A 6-digit number starting with 0 means 1990, starting with 1 means 1991, 2 means 1992, etc all the way up to 1995, which will start with a 5.
    Sometime in 1996, Jackson went to what are known as the "96" serials, where every bolt-on serial made in Japan started with "96". The serial number also had 7 numbers at this point. There are some serials that start with "97" and "98" as well, but they all have 7 digits.

*If you have a bolt-on Jackson that only says "Jackson" on the head, and the serial number starts with 96, 97, or 98, it was made in Japan in 1998.

*If you have a bolt-on Jackson that says "Professional" on the head, and the serial number starts with 96, then it was made in 96 or 97.

*If you have a bolt-on Jackson that says "Professional" on the head and the serial number starts with 98, you have a parts mutt - possibly a swapped neck or neckplate.

3. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

The MIJ professional series came with licensed floyds and duncan-designed pickups. The sticker mark looks consistent with my MIJ professional jackson.

4. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I always say the Gotoh is not always a drop in replacement.

The base plate does not fit on the treble side of the route. The route needs to be "squared off."

The bolts out the back won't fit, depending on your tuning and intonation. Luckily, for that issue you can just use the shorter ones from an OFR.

5. groverj3

I feel like I went on hiatus when the numbers started dropping and they probably moved to Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, etc.

When I came back this year I was kind of amazed how many fewer regulars there are now.

I do miss all the guitar pr0n. Crazy custom stuff every day. However, this is still the best place for guitar chat!

73647k, Millul and mlp187 like this.
  6. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Yeah, bit of a shame to miss out on that. I saw the ad when it just went up and hit up the seller immediately, but he wanted cash. I have family members in Sydney, but they're like 50k away and it seemed a bit unreasonable to ask them to make the round trip. Oh well, I managed to get a great deal on an Edwards Greeny the other day, guess I can afford to miss out on this one.

This wasn't the first Rhoads Pro to be sold at a reasonable price either. Start of last year down in Melbourne one sold for 700. But start of last year 2k for a RR1 or DK1 was pretty standard as well, and the Bolted Steel KE2 in Perth took like a good 9 months to sell

jahosy likes this.
  7. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

excellent score on that Edwards! they're great guitars

I've been checking FB and Gumtree daily for any Jackson guitars strange that I couldn't see any of these sales due to my location (melb) only showed up when I changed location to Sydney. will keep looking.

anyway my SL27 EX has been on layby in Perth for about a month now lol due to poor financial planning on my part. should be getting her in next week :) that'll soften the blow on missing out on the Rhoads pro haha

8. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

You have to rotate out all the major cities to check, but that's my morning routine now. The guitar buying/selling group often has good stuffs as well, I see more deals on there than on the public Marketplace listing.

And yeah, they're great, I've had the chance to play a couple of the LPs and they were fantastic, especially compared to their retail price. I was eyeing a RR24 originally after selling off my DK2S and DK2M, but the seller had it on USD by accident, and ended up leaving it at USD since he was getting offers from oversea buyers as well. This Edward came up, and the price was pretty good, especially now that Alexi's death bloated up the price of every Edwards and LTD Alexi by 50%. It had a neck humbucker and tone pot/3 way switch added though, so it doesn't scratch the 1 hum itch, but it plays well enough to have me GASing for a pink sawtooth now, unless Jackson release something like a Mirror King V or Warrior next year.

9. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

Few years ago, I paid 550 USD for a black 1994 Rhoads Professional Pro. It was located in NY, USA if my memory serves me right. Talk about a deal...

Sadly I sold the guitar later. The neck was one of the comfiest I've had on a Jackson. I used to have a Ferrari Red SL1 from 2001ish (paid 650 EUR, from ebay), it also had very very nice neck. Probably the Jackson speedneck? The SL1 was in a very bad condition so I let that go. Would've needed at least fretjob, the paintjob indicated that the guitar probably was exposed to severe heat at some point.

BTW, the Jackson ET7 that was released yesterday day is highly tempting. To bad it doesn't have the BKP Juggernauts by default.

jahosy and 73647k like this.
  10. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

I just got a 2020 Charvel from MF a few weeks ago. God, what an absolute workhorse of a guitar.

sounds great, plays great. absolutely solid thing.

Attached Files:

Edika, Mathemagician, 73647k and 9 others like this.
  11. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Value is just about unbeatable! I am likewise very happy with by MIM Ash charvel, which has an absolutely PERFECT neck, fretwork, and ebony board. I switched to a Bill & Becky L500XL at the bridge just to have something different (inspired by Nuno's early '90s tone) and it KICKS! I dig the six pack wiring also.

[​IMG]

73647k and aesthyrian like this.
  12. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi The Mario Clash

JS30DK

This model existed from 00s to about 2009ish. Since yours has a Japanese serial it's earlier 00s. If that's a JT-580 it's not bad. As others have pointed out many Professional models in the 90s had them. Can't personally relate how the CVR pickups in that sound however.

13. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

C23EBB5A-0C02-49D2-946F-57C73B43466D.jpeg Incoming....;) crossing fingers...

14. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

YOOOOOOOOOO (except the pickups)

Randy and manu80 like this.
  15. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

yeah don't know yet what to expect. I can put it back in duncan, or try the SD Loomis....but i'm a bit done with active Pu's.

16. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

manu80 and Mathemagician like this.
  17. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

this is so ubelievably tight

groverj3 and manu80 like this.
  18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

MIJ DX10. Probably 2002-ish? (the 96 in the serial has nothing to do with the year.)

Should be a quality guitar - that trem isn't actually horrible, even.

19. groverj3

Isn't the DX10D 24 frets?

20. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

DX10 came with Duncan Designed