Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Hmmm....it might have felt big because had all the Graphic USA Fusion Jackson's that was a wide thin shredders neck....its funny now i can't play them and prefer a chunkier neck nowadays , and i can play as fast !

LOL

2. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Something else from the dealer event showed up on the Chondro Guitars website:

[​IMG]

Not a fan of that control layout, but otherwise it's pretty sweet.

technomancer, Ribboz, Edika and 3 others like this.
  3. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Normally, I’d agree with you, but the Music Zoo did a limited SL2H-V run a few years ago, and my favorite one was natural mahogany (oil finish) with brass hardware, white binding and dots. It was PERFECT and I regret not buying one when I had a chance at a guitar show in Long Island. They had one left. Then again, the wife would have killed me.

xzacx and Millul like this.
  4. groverj3

I know how it goes to have a "perfect" guitar slip through your fingers.

When I first moved to Tucson, Rainbow did a huge run of the most insane 80s themed soloists. I'm talking like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They later did a run of reverse headstock soloists including one in metallic purple:
    [​IMG]

All had oil finished necks. Only downside was the control layout being left stock on the purple one. I guess I made out okay though, I did spec out my custom select after these all sold. The pricing on these runs was fantastic though, for a custom shop guitar. This was all 3 price hikes ago.

I tried to get Scott over there to do a 7 string run, but it never happened.

5. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

A 93 Grover Jackson King V Custom just popped up on eBay Australia today for a very reasonable price (1200 Kangaroo bucks) and great condition, the usual top of the line spec for the time (JT-590, MOP inlay, Ebony board), but I'm still gassing for a Warrior. I prefer the later Mustaine/KV1 style control scheme with 2 vol and a blade switch, but at this price its a nitpick. Considering just selling off my DK2S and get both, HSS gets in the way a lot.

jahosy and groverj3 like this.
  6. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

:agreed:

Plus, I love the "you can have any bridge option as long as it's a Floyd" mindset.

groverj3 likes this.
  7. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

Who is rainbow?

8. groverj3

Rainbow Guitars in Tucson, AZ. They're a big Jackson/Charvel/Fender custom shop dealer. On par, maybe bigger, than Matt's Music and Axe Palace in terms of number of orders. They just don't quite have the forum visibility that those stores do. Plus they're in Tucson :lol:

Also PRS, Strandberg, Suhr, Vigier, Mesa Boogie, etc. dealer. Basically, they have nice things that you probably will like.

Website is pretty sparse at the moment. At one point they had a whole room of Jackson custom shop orders they got special pricing on since they were getting 3-4 in per month. That's store runs, separate from individual customer orders. I recently talked to Scott over there and said that they're experiencing huge delays in orders for all FMIC brands since the start of the pandemic. This makes sense though.

On top of Jackson and Charvel being incredibly slow right now because the Custom Select program was maybe a little too successful.

www.rainbowguitars.com

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. groverj3

They currently do have some neat Dinkys. But they're not quite my thing. Maybe the reverse headstock blank fretboard ones though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not that I'm in the market for something like this right now.

10. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

Those HS soloists are fuckin hot.

11. groverj3

Yes, I kick myself for not picking one up. This was 2013 pricing, with a discount for being a large run. So, we're talking around $2800. Which is expensive, but when you compare with today's over $1k higher pricetag and ~15 month wait...

Those also had an extra carved lower horn as I recall.

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Man, the switch on all those sucks, unfortunately. :(

13. groverj3

It's kind of weird, and not what I did for my orders, but having played those in the store it's definitely a better layout than the default one and makes the selector switch usable while playing. Volume knob is also a bit further away from the bridge pickup. But it's all personal preference.

14. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

Yeh that was mine :) Sold to someone local.

Bought one in black finish from them. Paid under USD$2k shipped to Melbourne back then :D who knew it would probably cost twice these days eh ...

groverj3 likes this.
  15. groverj3

That's a crazy deal.

I paid just under $3k for my custom shop Soloist in 2015 and got it in 8 months. Honestly, it wasn't a terrible price as my SL2H was about $2500 8 years earlier and it was a "production model."

Now... Probably $5k for the same build with an 18 month wait. If they took the order. JCS has gotten much more conservative with builds and the backlog is crazy because so many people ordered custom selects.

16. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Oh damn, that was fast. I noticed it on Facebook first, but I'm flying back out to Brissy this weekend after the fucking border opens back up so I was going to wait til then. Ah well.

Missed out on that Fernandes JS-100 RR1 clone with the Jackson hardcase as well, it sold the day before I flew down. But considering someone is putting up a post saying they got scammed and the seller never shipped it to them it might've been a blessing in disguise.

17. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

ah have to be careful these days especially on FB sales. Mine sold real quick then guy was around the area so no hassle for me, sold for $1k. I've got a Caparison TaT special coming in from UK so have to move a few gears to accommodate that. keep a lookout for the NGD :D

they listed it on eBay for a while around 2013?), was watching it like a hawk and when there was a price drop I jumped in. the A$ was strong at that time as well so the exchange rate didn't affect me much.

my recent quote (before their price hike) for a warrior custom select came back A$6500 ... sad... but good thing about buying from local dealers are the payment plans so it's more manageable money wise.

18. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Well the CS price seems to fluctuate throughout the year, but dropping 7k on a guitar during pandemic time is a bit much. Oli of SoundCentre when I talked to him about the quote (IIRC) said that the price hike doesn't affect CS price quote though, just the base price for the USA Select model

19. groverj3

Yeah, the payment plan situation makes sense. But at the rate that you guys get screwed on prices over there it probably makes a lot of sense to buy from a store in the US, since I think most of the higher volume dealers will ship.

Having a custom shop Jackson was kind of a bucket list sort of thing for me. My first "real" guitar was a DXMG, and saved up to buy an SL2H through my senior year of high school. If I wanted a custom build now, it would have to be a 7, and from my understanding, those are masterbuilt only. According to Max here there are no CNC programs for 7s in the shop. And according to my contacts at Rainbow and Matt's Music JCS isn't taking orders for anything that gets the masterbuilt label right now.

If they'd just release a 7 string with a normal soloist body, reverse headstock, and it wasn't just gloss black or that "unicorn white" that they announced this year, that would probably satisfy my Jackson GAS for a good long while.

jahosy likes this.
  20. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

We actually don't really get screwed on CS pricing, the price Jackson returns is in USD and seems to match the base pricing plus whatever modification you put on it (even if they no longer use the menu CS form with a static price for changes).

I got a KV2 quote at 6800 AUD (5.3k USD) and 7500 AUD (5.9k USD) for Gloss Black and Eerie Dess respectively. The old form had Eerie Dess as a 500 upcharge, and it used to be that much on production USA/Japan model anyway, so its in ballpark.

jahosy and groverj3 like this.