Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Oh hey, so that was your quote. SoundCenter? I asked them about it and that was what they gave me as example. Mine was after the price hike and was 6800 for Gloss Black and 7500 for EDS, so seems like the price hike for US Select didn't affect the Custom Select, or it already did before they updated the price.

2. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

Sorry for the confusion: the Custom shop white SLAT 27 was a quote from Matt's music back in 2014. That came back ard USD$4500 plus taxes + shipping if i remember correctly.

Most recent quote was from SounCenter. That was for a Custom Select Warrior (Alder body; reverse headstock 'ghost' logo; gun metal finish) that came back around AUD$6700 total. Was told the price hike wasn't implemented at that point (end Sept 2020) There are payment plans (i think) which is the most likely the route i'll be heading, but really difficult to justify it considering the uncertainties ahead.

Anyway, happy to wait for the Wildcard SL27 to drop. From the pics I've seen so far they look flawless :)

3. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Even with a payment plan its a bit hard for me to justify 7k (cost a decent used car) on what's essentially a production line guitar, and especially not during the pandemic. I'll probably revisit the idea in a couple of years

jahosy likes this.
  4. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike Contributor

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

We're in the bubble.

6. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

Given the very high prices of recent Custom Shop quotes may I assume that they're only doing Masterbuilts from now? All the quotes I've seen have been around 6000 USD, even for very standard specifications.

Or then they have very limited resources and very long queues, and that's their way to clear the line...

LCW likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They raised the price of the Selects considerably, Masterbuilt orders have been unavailable for going on two years now.

You are correct, they're looking to reduce the number of orders they get, yet still clear a certain amount of revenue.

mungiisi and LCW like this.
  8. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Joe Williams built my CS Soloist in 2015. It's flawless.

Wildebeest, jahosy and LCW like this.
  9. groverj3

They need more builders to be able to clear their backlog.

I had a discussion with my old dealer recently and they basically just said that one of their guys mostly does Charvels (Dave Nichols, I believe), and that really only leaves 3 people. But Mike Shannon only does artist guitars now, so that really leaves only 2 guys. And they get veto power over taking a build (too crazy/takes too long or doesn't interest the builder).

When you combine that with NAMM builds and dealer limited runs it's kind of a miracle they ever build any custom orders at all anymore.

If they can increase the finishes available for the MJ series that might take some of their backlog, but without more people it's going to be hard as hell to get an order in.

XPT707FX and Mathemagician like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

Nah, they want the exclusivity. Plus, they'd have to relocate or do a bunch of construction. It's already pretty cramped in there.

groverj3 likes this.
  11. groverj3

Oh, for sure. I'm sure that's the idea. Just kind of sucks for us non-VIPs out here.

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Something to be pointed out is that it's not just Jackson that has import prices rising - shipping costs have been going through the roof during the pandemic, even on the big container ships they've quadrupled. So that's probably driving some of these costs as well.

groverj3 likes this.
  13. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

Because I'm clueless on this, are Selects the "menu" Custom Shop models? And I assume Masterbuilt is pretty much whatever you want?

14. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Yes080-rick-and-morty-meme (2).jpg

15. MaxOfMetal

If they do it right, they should be able to get the process manageable. They've take a big hit the last couple years.

We'll never see early 00's pricing again, that's a given. The focus now is availability.

:agreed:

Everything is more expensive, and supply chains are more and more convoluted as manufacturing spreads, which makes stuff cost even more.

Pretty much, with the caveat that there's pretty much always a menu of some sort, even with the Masterbuilt stuff. It just depends on the builder as far as what limits there might be. But yeah, "Masterbuilts" are what most people think of when someone says "custom shop".

The USA line has been in a state of flux for awhile.

16. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

On Jackon's site at this moment, seems the only production USA models are Artist models...

17. MaxOfMetal

There hasn't been "production" USA models since about 2015/2016 when they converted everything regular USA to Select.

LCW likes this.
  18. groverj3

Yeah, the USA Select Series hasn't really existed for years. The idea is essentially that if you were willing to fork over that much money then you probably would fork over a few hundred more for a semi-custom build instead.

However, they got pretty popular and the dealer I'd talked to told me that this has the effect of bogging down the custom build time even more than it already was.

Now it looks like they're rejecting even custom select orders. There are only a handful of people there though, so exclusivity is their angle at this point.

LCW likes this.
  19. groverj3

I have wondered whether their small custom shop being overworked had something to do with a few of their documented "goofs" over the years. The 23 and 25 fretters come to mind. There's also some video on YouTube that keeps getting suggested to me wherein someone is complaining about the build quality on their brand new custom shop guitar from them.

I can only say that my two US Jacksons, my SL2H and Custom Select Soloist, are flawless when I see stuff like that. I've also never personally played a bad one, but I'm not such a big fanboy that I'll claim these issues don't exist.

Millul likes this.
  20. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

I have bought two custom selects and three masterbuilts in the last six years. I think most of issue come with their archaic process of spec'ing orders and how the work order in the shop is generated. It seems they are still working off hand written spec sheets when a order gets placed. I have only experienced one minor mixup with one of my masterbuilts but Jackson took care of me. I have one more masterbuilt on order that's at the two year mark and the dealer can't get any update on it. Last we heard was it was in paint but that was before the holidays.

Jackson is probably my favorite brand but if I decided to purchase another guitar I probably wouldn't get another Jackson. I would go with the ESP custom shop for another NV or check out what next crazy thing Sully Guitars is making.