Jackson/Charvel 2022 thread

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Reaction score
You talking about how he went off on nick from axe palace and kicked him out of his group?
nick was also trying to sell his own inventory in randall's group, so that probably pissed him off.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid naming the dealer so this didn't become a dogpile of "I like this person better."

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im curious how closely involved the production of this is with the EVH Frankie. Is this like Volvo and Audi where they are (or were) made in the same factory by the same auto workers? Because they sure look similar and have similar specs. Even the neck stain looks identical.

They're bot MIM by Fender so probably :2c:

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
2963068576_cha_ins_frt_01_rr.jpg

Oui, s'il vous plaît...

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda bummed the JE Lee sig has an unfinished headstock (2nd time Jackson/Charvel fucked up a sig model headstock :lol: well, third if you count the massive Jeff Loomis one), but Charvel still seems to have the cooler lineup IMO. Just from the JEL sig and the Pro-Mod variants.

2966034519_cha_ins_frt_01_rr.jpg
2965841591_cha_ins_frt_01_rr.jpg
2965831518_cha_ins_frt_01_rr.jpg

Those 2 metallic pro mods are DYING for either a maple board or matching headstock.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
A lot of fuck ups were made, but how often do you count all frets at a glance?

It was just such a wild error that I don't think anyone ever expected it. It's not like every guitar ever has 24 frets, so I could see someone thinking it had 22 and just moving on.

It's not like this is happening frequently, there are issues that arise, but JCS makes thousands of guitars.
My guess is the dude that made the 23 fret guitar made more than a few costly mistakes in his time. You could probably even resell that 23 fret guitar as a weird one off and recover most of the cost.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess is the dude that made the 23 fret guitar made more than a few costly mistakes in his time. You could probably even resell that 23 fret guitar as a weird one off and recover most of the cost.

Guitars are cheap, especially for a company like FMIC, what's not cheap is the fallout.

They could bandsaw the thing in half and not worry at all, but the damage control from how visible this fuck up was has probably cost them many times it's retail price and they know it.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Digging the new finishes for sure. The Import Jake Lee sig is pretty cool, and the Sean Long sig is the stand out for me. I still don't understand why that won't make a hardtail model with a roasted neck though.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Kinda bummed the JE Lee sig has an unfinished headstock (2nd time Jackson/Charvel fucked up a sig model headstock :lol: well, third if you count the massive Jeff Loomis one), but Charvel still seems to have the cooler lineup IMO. Just from the JEL sig and the Pro-Mod variants.

Those 2 metallic pro mods are DYING for either a maple board or matching headstock.
Maple boards, hands down. I dig those finishes otherwise.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

Agreed. I definitely think Charvel has a stronger showing so far. FMIC has really put a lot of effort in to the brand the last few years and I think it truly shows.

Guitars are cheap, especially for a company like FMIC, what's not cheap is the fallout.

They could bandsaw the thing in half and not worry at all, but the damage control from how visible this fuck up was has probably cost them many times it's retail price and they know it.

Yep. Jackson has been “my” brand and the place I’ve wanted a custom from for as far back as I can remember. I’ve been at the point of being able to get one for a couple of decades now, but have held off in part because of reading about screw ups somewhat consistently in that time. Was just safer to go with a USA Select. Customs are basically unobtanium right now, but even inquiring recently, I think I’d still skip the Jackson Custom Shop.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
My issues with my indonesian made Jackson turned me off of the brand for now (along with a RR24 I owned 15-20 years ago). I know logically that makes no sense, since a custom shop is miles beyond that.. but still..

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe Charvel only put matching headstocks on the US models. Its the same with the Warren Dimartini Snake, unfinished headstock on the MIM and matching on the US one.

Correct. Can't have someone thinking a mere plebe has an actual high-dollar Charvel. :yesway:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
since a custom shop is miles beyond that.. but still..

Not *absolutely* true. I've seen signs that they're doing too much work and quality is slipping in the Custom Shop. That said, the Indo guitars are all over the place.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct. Can't have someone thinking a mere plebe has an actual high-dollar Charvel. :yesway:

It's just to cut costs, so they can use a single neck SKU for as many guitars possible, same reason why most don't match headstocks on bolt-ons for certain stuff, Ibanez in the 90's was big on this.

Besides, no one is going to know either way, all Charvels look the same. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just to cut costs, so they can use a single neck SKU for as many guitars possible, same reason why most don't match headstocks on bolt-ons for certain stuff, Ibanez in the 90's was big on this.

I apparently should have put a </sarcasm> at the end of that. :lol:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score

If by the same you mean, awesome! Definitely true, but that is sort of the brand identity, a hot-rodded Strat (sometimes Tele if they remember those exist). I guess there is only so much you can do with 2 shapes. I dig most of them though, but I tend to like like traditional shapes like a Strat/Tele anyway.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yeah they really are. The gold hardware on the blue seems a little out of place with the rest of the design.