Jackson and Chris Borderick

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ArtDecade, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Broderick also made a lot of guys (like myself) want to pick up the 7 String alone.

He arguably has the most difficult "Betcha' Can't Play This Video" by Guitar World ever. People still watch it. On this forum his original Ibanez 7 String caused a HUGE STIR.
    If Ibanez wouldn't have been foolish they could have a TON OF MONEY on making that a signature guitar.

Apparently, they made a variation of that sig but looked very similar to Broderick's L.A. Custom Shop and they only released it in Japan.
    It was rather silly because he had just gotten into Megadeth and you would have thought Ibanez would have capitalized on that and make him a sig.
    Because everyone wanted his 7 String Ibanez and they would have paid a ton for it.
    Though, I'd imagine based on his sig with Jackson they were open to making him something cooler.

Ibanez really doesn't push the envelope anymore like they used to with Vai, Gilbert and Satch or Petrucci for that matter.

Chris has a Legacy and thankfully Jackson wants to keep it some what relevant.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I still remember the shitstorm about the quality of the tops of the original run, especially the transwhites.
    That said, I can concur about Jackson carved tops being super heavy, I had a carved top CS soloist and it was stupid how heavy it was. I sold it later on.

Samark likes this.
  3. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Plenty of people dislike pickup rings and like longer scale lengths. That doesn't make them stupid, they just happen to like different things than you :shrug:.

John and Samark like this.
  4. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Booooo! What is this reasoned discussion!

Mathemagician and Samark like this.
  5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I don't remember. What was up with the tops?

6. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Ibanez were ready to make his signature guitars, then something happened and he went to Jackson. His Jackson came out the same NAMM as the retooled RGA series that was meant to be Chris's signature series, the RGA420z and RGA427z.

Also, I don't see how it's pushing the envelope to give a Megadeth guitar player a signature guitar. Besides, they gave both Marty and Kiko sigs.

7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

And even Dave.

chipchappy likes this.
  8. Emperoff

Kiko complained there were a lot of things Ibanez just wouldn't do (starting with ebony fretboards). Jackson basically made him a signature guitar exactly like he wanted it to be. I mean, he even has a bridge that can't be acquired any other way...

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  9. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

What does ibanez have against Ebony boards? I did just realize that I don't know if i've ever seen an Ebony boarded out Ibanez...

10. StevenC

I don't know if I'd use the bridge as an example considering his last two LACS 7 strings had unique ZR7s on them and probably could have had a Lo Pro 7 if he really wanted (or waited a year or two).

Fujigen doesn't seem to use them. Some none Fuji Ibanezes have had them like the Sugi made UV77RE.

11. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Is ebony more of a pain to source in Japan for legal/trade reasons?

12. Emperoff

Point is that Chris got everything he wanted. Ebony board, custom shape, custom pickups, and even a custom bridge.

Ibanez couldn't even entertain the first request.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Mathemagician, Samark and Kyle Jordan like this.
  13. StevenC

Ok, but that's still not a good point. He didn't want a low profile OFR 7, he was using an Edge Pro then moved to the ZR. If he wanted to play an low profile OFR 7 while at Ibanez he probably would have stuck with the Edge Pro or used a LoPro on his LACSs. The bridge on his signature seems more like a length Jackson had to go to as a concession because they didn't have what Ibanez could offer.

14. Emperoff

You're not getting it. What he couldn't get from Ibanez was not a low profile bridge.

"The bridge on his signature seems more like a length Jackson had to go to as a concession because they didn't have what Ibanez could offer."

Now that sounds like a company that really tries to give the artist what he wants, doesn't it?

15. StevenC

So he didn't get everything he wanted at Jackson?

16. Emperoff

Sigh. I give up...
    :hmmm:

ArtDecade likes this.
  17. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I remember those two videos lighting one hell of a fire under my ass along with Scar Symmetry and Divine Heresy. I had wanted multiple Soloists to have in different tunings, but those three made me start thinking of getting another 7 string instead and Dino made me think of an 8 string since a lot of the 7 string stuff I wanted to do was actually tuned down to A. Found out later that Per used 8s a bit as well during this time frame as well.

Honestly now that I’m thinking about it, the three things I mentioned may have begun the biggest shift in my playing since I started.

I guess Broderick has had a much bigger impact on my playing than I originally thought.

ArtDecade likes this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Short answer is that good ebony is difficult to source full stop. Hoshino never wanted to deal with it large scale because once their original suppliers from the 90's dried up they'd either have to go through a competitor like Taylor or do gray market (which famously a few big American manufacturers got slapped for).

The stuff you see on production guitars under a certain price is so heavily processed and dyed that you might as well just use Richlite, it's about as genuine. That jet black stuff you see on Schecters and LTDs is vat and vaccum dyed random cuts of "ebony".

The big switch to macassar ebony was done purely out of the fact that it was looking like rosewood would be even more difficult to source (no longer thanks to tweaks to CITES) and it's grown and harvested cheaply in Indonesia.

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Is that the one with the 8-finger tapping run? I’ve been working on that since that issue originally came out. It’s going ok.

Max gave a detailed answer. But also ESP seems to think it’s worth it.

ArtDecade likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Worth it on $4k+ Original series stuff. The E-II (old Standard) still uses the same Indo sourced and dyed "ebony". Just like Gibson still throws it on $4800 LPCs, but not on the cheaper stuff like they did 20 odd years ago.

It's not that the stuff doesn't exist, plenty leaves Africa still, but much much less than before and it's typically either all spoken for by large brokers (like Taylor) or falls into legal gray areas.

Not to mention the environmental and human cost of the stuff.