Jackson and Chris Borderick

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ArtDecade, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Well, he had reasons to :rofl:

Yes they are. Jackson archtops in general are very heavy since they use very thick tops. I've seen reports of 12lbs Brodericks. :erk:
    B7s and Juggernauts use thinner bodies so they can get away with it.

Despite the hate it gets from the Jackson purists (those rich lawyers mentioned earlier :lol:), it's awesome and easily one of my favourite headstocks ever. Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    works0fheart, Perge and Kyle Jordan like this.
  2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I had to decide between a custom shop RR and Broderick years ago, I chose the RR and regret everyday I didn’t get one of these. It was the white one…..single tear.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

He might not be, but I rarely buy a sig model specifically because of a guitar player but rather based on how it looks and plays. I think Broderick has a nice unassuming line of guitars.

That said .. I'd totally buy a Zakk Wylde Gibson if they were shitty prices ($10k)

4. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Those are so wicked! I would love one personally. Also wouldn't mind one of his 7 strings with the floyd.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

His model is just a really good looking modern guitar. My only issue is the straight 12”. Otherwise? I’d deal with the weight. Hope they sell bunches.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't know, I tried to dig the 7, as I really wanted a nice Jackson 7 for a long time, but the only way I can describe it is "cumbersome". It just feels so big and heavy and in the way, and not in a sort of charming way like a good Les Paul.

7. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Being in In flames around 2005 would be huge. Nowdays? meh

ArtDecade likes this.
  8. demontamer

demontamer The 7 String Lion

Warrell Dane passed away because of cardiac complications. He was a diabetic.
    Alcoolism was not guilty this time.

Gain_Junkie93 likes this.
  9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

They're a love/hate guitar. I really wanted to like the Pro I tried, but, I didn't, and the USAs were the same. It's too bad, the 7 almost ticks all the boxes for me...

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

For sure, they're absolutely killer looking in person too if you find a nice top, which seems much more common now.

If folks are interested and think they look a little goofy in pictures online, definitely try to find one (even a Pro, it's the same shape) to try in person, they look a lot sleeker.

Kyle Jordan and ArtDecade like this.
  11. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

^Sleek is a really good descriptor.

I usually hate carved tops, but the Brodericks were much more comfortable to me. Which was actually kind of shocking.

I found Chris's claims about how the body sits in standing and sitting to be spot on.

Damnit. Now you guys have me wanting to give the 7 string another whirl.

12. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Love Chris' line
    I wish I could afford it too :D

13. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

The broderick usa is a real beast
    Blows all your mayones and other brands, really. Craftmanship is awesome, pups are the best i head split, still it weighs a tone ;)....
    The diabolic needs to be released one day !!!!

works0fheart and xzacx like this.
  14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I wanted one for the longest time just because of the bridge. Low pro trems for life. Wish Jackson offered them as an option throughout the line because the OFR is a total hunk of shit

works0fheart, Samark and TrevorT like this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

My Broderick 7 is the only guitar I've ever sold because it was too heavy, and subsequently, the only guitar I've ever regretted selling because it was too heavy. That thing just sounded and played so amazing, and the USAs were going for peanuts at the time. The bad thing is, knowing what I bought and sold it for, it's making it hard to pay as much as people are asking now, but I'm dead set on getting another eventually. I really think it's the best production guitar Jackson makes.

works0fheart, Manurack and c7spheres like this.
  16. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I probably won't sell any of my Jacksons since USA prices are so ridiculous right now. Sure I could sell them for more I bought them for, but at current USA prices I'd probably never buy another again.

One thing is buying a 3k guitar, and another to buy a 3k guitar priced 5k because they have too many orders. Fuck that.

https://reverb.com/item/41249749-ne...derick-cb2-diabolic-limited-authorized-dealer

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Mathemagician and Kyle Jordan like this.
  17. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

If I had an extra 5k lying around...

18. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Thousand dollar price drop. Give it some time to drop more.

19. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I have to be honest, the guitars are good for the money. They're not the best ever, but they suit me.

When I started my band, I bought the white Jackson Pro 7 string as I didn't own a 7 string and our vocalist's voice just sounded better with a Bb tuning. So I bought one in and started using it.

I since moved onto an E-II Arrow-7 which I love to bits. But occasionally we play those smaller stages and I don't want to bump my E-II. So the Jackson fits the bill perfectly for those.

I recently bought a second Broderick Pro-7. Simply the guitar fits my spec and they're good enough players. The reason is I ideally need a backup guitar whenever the first Brod is in use and I could really use something that's by my recording set up so I don't have to keep dragging my main guitars in and out of the case all the time, just makes setting off to rehearsals easier. It's a bit of an extravagance, but it makes life easier.

So from my perspective on the pro series, the goods and bads:

Good:
    - Fairly cheap right now in today's money
    - 25.5" scale, floyd rose tremolo, fretboard feels nice.

Bad:
    - The cases are an arsehole to source. I have one for my first Broderick, just ordered a hardcase for my spare guitar and it's a six month wait. Luckily I already have one for my first.
    - The Floyd Special trems are ONLY OK. The first modification I would suggest is to swap out the tremolo bar for a proper Schaller unit as the original is junk. My first guitar, the tremolo has stood up to a lot of gigging for 3-4 years and only now am I considering it may need replacing.
    - The electronics are crap. I had an incident with my first one (when it was my only one). When I was setting up my gear at a gig, I merely touched the stupid kill switch and the tip came off in my hands. It was only pure luck that the switch was in the right position; if it wasn't I'm not sure what I would have done. Always have a spare guitar, kids!
    - I am really not a fan of direct mounted pickups. I don't think they sound great and the method of attachment leaves next to zero adjustment for height. If it was the one thing I could change about the guitar (and frankly all guitars) is to spec if with pickup rings. I think this current trend of direct mount pickups is stupid.
    - They're a bit heavy. I don't think the wood choices are the best, but I'll live with it for the money.

But the bad points aside, it's all addressable. I usually fit EMG pickups anyway so that takes care of the electrics; a new Schaller tremolo arm is £15 and relatively simple to fit; the direct mount pickups I just live with, I just take my time stuffing foam where needed. The only blight is the case for it, but I'm a patient man. If I need to gig bag it until it arrives then so be it.

So all in all, for the money they're decent guitars. I mean, I doubt I would spend USA money on one, to me they are very capable gig machines and look the part. Plus they don't have a stupid long scale length on them, they have a usable floyd rose and I don't think I could come up with another guitar for the same money that you wouldn't have to at least consider some of the above with. Almost any sub £1000 guitar is going to have tinpot electronics and at least the bridge has plenty of spares around and a real floyd rose 7 string will retrofit no problem.

As it is, I'm happy. If I had lots of money to spend, I don't think a USA Brod would be on my list. I'm really happy with my E-II Arrow-7 most of all and if I had the cash, I'd buy another (if they still made them).

My only criticism of E-II is I really wish they would make more solid colours other than black and white.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't think I'd buy one, but I appreciate the fact that they designed something really different. Also, I think it might look better on a light background, as those black bevels kinda blend into that background and make that body look tiny.

Looks better in this pic for example:

[​IMG]