Jackson American Series

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn. I’m jealous. The only music gear I bought in the Youngstown area was a Class 5 combo off of a dude on Craigslist. We did meet in the GC parking lot though. Ended up going inside and looking around. Selection was, as expected, garbage.
There was actually a second New York Music location too in the Niles/Warren area, which was super close to me and much easier to get my parents to give me a ride to hahah. It was a lot smaller, but they still had great stuff of the era. I specifically remember playing a bunch of ESP signatures like different KHs and Kamikazes there.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There was actually a second New York Music location too in the Niles/Warren area, which was super close to me and much easier to get my parents to give me a ride to hahah. It was a lot smaller, but they still had great stuff of the era. I specifically remember playing a bunch of ESP signatures like different KHs and Kamikazes there.
This reminded me that, apparently, ESP won’t do the banana headstock on custom builds anymore, only Lynch sigs.

But yeah, neither Warren nor Boardman are super close to Cleveland, but I’d definitely make the drive for a store that had badass guitars like that in stock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This reminded me that, apparently, ESP won’t do the banana headstock on custom builds anymore, only Lynch sigs.

But yeah, neither Warren nor Boardman are super close to Cleveland, but I’d definitely make the drive for a store that had badass guitars like that in stock.

ESP says they won't do this or that, but if you have the cash and happen to be in Japan they tend to be a heck of a lot more flexible.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ESP says they won't do this or that, but if you have the cash and happen to be in Japan they tend to be a heck of a lot more flexible.
Yeah but do you need to go to Japan to place the order and take delivery? Or will they ship overseas? If you don’t live in Japan, the travel cost and possible issues importing it to your home country might make the difference between a shape they offer and the banana quite expensive.

nedheftyfunk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I highly doubt they’re putting Jescar stainless on Harley-Bentons. They’re putting “stainless” on them.

As for validity, here you go
Gerry Hayes is a well-respected luthier. Here’s his article about fret wear (and he talks about stainless in it) https://hazeguitars.com/blog/frets-are-consumables

It’s also just common sense. Every material wears, even diamond. For an extreme example, if you use stainless steel strings, your strings are just as hard as your frets. Still better than nickel-silver, where the frets are softer than the plain strings, but there’s no way you believe that stainless steel doesn’t wear at all
Not saying they're high QC guitars or anything, but HBs get their SS fret wire from a company that appears to also service a lot of big brands:

http://www.blacksmithstrings.com/guitar/fretwires/index.jsp

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not saying they're high QC guitars or anything, but HBs get their SS fret wire from a company that appears to also service a lot of big brands:

http://www.blacksmithstrings.com/guitar/fretwires/index.jsp
Interesting. I've legitimately never heard of these guys, but they claim to supply just about every mainstream guitar manufacturer. What's interesting is that Jescar also claims supply some of these same manufacturers...

Anyone here ever use (or hear of) Blacksmith fret wire?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. I've legitimately never heard of these guys, but they claim to supply just about every mainstream guitar manufacturer. What's interesting is that Jescar also claims supply some of these same manufacturers...

Anyone here ever use (or hear of) Blacksmith fret wire?

Probably because until fairly recently they only sold directly to Asian guitar OEMs like Cortek and Samick.

Their parent company, DHP Korea, is a large conglomerate that makes all kinds of stuff, like pipe fittings, valves, pressure vessels....and frets.

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a labelled complainer, I actually got a chance to try one out today. This store (Long & mcQuade) has tons of Squier, Fender, Epiphone, Gibson, and almost nothing else. But much to my surprise, they had one of these Jacksons ($3,200 CAD).

This was a green one, which I was glad because I was really curious how this colour would look in person. I was very impressed with the finish, it felt really high quality, probably the best satin finish I’ve ever seen in person.

The fit and finish was absolutely flawless. Not a single blemish, perfect low action. It definitely struck me as heavy, but honestly I don’t care much about weight. So that’s not a bad thing in my book. General fit and finish was better than all the Gibson LPs I tried today.

Hard to describe the neck profile. Felt great, not Ibanez super Wizard thin. It’s probably similar to the DK2M I used to have. Painted neck, as you all know, but felt fast so no complaints there.

I plugged it into a Revv G20 + Marshall 2x12. Sounded good but I was never a fan of the JB in a super strat, so I would change those out if it were mine.

Overall, pretty great guitar honestly. If I were to get one, I 100% would get green, because of how unique it looked and felt.

Do I still think it’s overpriced? Yeah. Feels like it could be a tad cheaper. Used, I would consider it. Too bad I couldn’t compare it to a MIJ. Definitely a solid guitar, and if you’re a Jackson fanboy, I could see this being a must buy.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, the bridge tuners felt sticky/rusty kinda thing. Wasn’t pleasant trying to use them to tune. I’m sure some lube or oil would fix that up.

Also, I couldn’t tell if the frets were actually SS. They felt the same as any other nickel frets I’ve ever played. I certainly couldn’t feel a difference.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a labelled complainer, I actually got a chance to try one out today. This store (Long & mcQuade) has tons of Squier, Fender, Epiphone, Gibson, and almost nothing else. But much to my surprise, they had one of these Jacksons ($3,200 CAD).

This was a green one, which I was glad because I was really curious how this colour would look in person. I was very impressed with the finish, it felt really high quality, probably the best satin finish I’ve ever seen in person.

The fit and finish was absolutely flawless. Not a single blemish, perfect low action. It definitely struck me as heavy, but honestly I don’t care much about weight. So that’s not a bad thing in my book. General fit and finish was better than all the Gibson LPs I tried today.

Hard to describe the neck profile. Felt great, not Ibanez super Wizard thin. It’s probably similar to the DK2M I used to have. Painted neck, as you all know, but felt fast so no complaints there.

I plugged it into a Revv G20 + Marshall 2x12. Sounded good but I was never a fan of the JB in a super strat, so I would change those out if it were mine.

Overall, pretty great guitar honestly. If I were to get one, I 100% would get green, because of how unique it looked and felt.

Do I still think it’s overpriced? Yeah. Feels like it could be a tad cheaper. Used, I would consider it. Too bad I couldn’t compare it to a MIJ. Definitely a solid guitar, and if you’re a Jackson fanboy, I could see this being a must buy.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, the bridge tuners felt sticky/rusty kinda thing. Wasn’t pleasant trying to use them to tune. I’m sure some lube or oil would fix that up.

Also, I couldn’t tell if the frets were actually SS. They felt the same as any other nickel frets I’ve ever played. I certainly couldn’t feel a difference.
They’re nickel-silver frets. Fine tuners not moving smoothly on a new trembis a thing for sure (I think it’s mostly on the black finish, not gold or chrome), but it usually remedies itself. If not, like you said, some vaseline fixes it

LCW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Played one today at my local shop. VERY nice! I may get one if I sell some other stuff. Neck felt pretty killer. Thinner (thickness) than typical Jackson but feels right for the genre. Not Ibanez thin but thinner than some Jacksons and Charvels I’ve owned.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You like ‘em thick lol. I don’t fuck with drop tunings too often, but 10-46 feels about perfect for C# standard on a Fender scale guitar for me. Might get a little floppy for the low B, so I’d probably move up to 11-50 for drop B.

I’m a wimp though. I use 09-40 in standard, and the heaviest I go is 12-54 for B standard.

My Martin has 12-54 in standard (on a 25.4” scale), but I don’t really bend a lot on acoustic, so they’re comfortable.

Man, am I weird? I use a 50 for the low E on a 25.5 guitar. 10-50 for e standard.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's not an entirely apples to apples comparison, but SS frets are a $25 upgrade from Warmoth on a neck without binding, and a $70 upgrade on a neck with binding.
That's recent. When I ordered an unbound neck a year ago from them it was still $110.