Jackson American Series

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
The green and white models are pretty fucking cool.

But is it black esp m 2 cool? That's the question.

Between these and the JP models I think they offer pretty decent value for EU buyers compared to the custom prices which are absurd.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Idk if I'd consider the veneer inlay an improvement necessarily. A cool way to show off your fancy new CNC, but all the coolest Jacksons had silk-screened paint logos (or hand-painted ones, like Randy's).
If you saw the Jackson CS IG feed yesterday, then you saw them putting the "inlay" in the clearcoat spray. It's so thin it's like a decal, no inlay skills required.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you saw the Jackson CS IG feed yesterday, then you saw them putting the "inlay" in the clearcoat spray. It's so thin it's like a decal, no inlay skills required.
Not on social media, but you’re 100% right (they’re called “overlays” apparently)

Apparently it’s also in multiple pieces. Looks neat, but, like I said before, I like the paint logos better myself

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Played one today out of the box at a local store. It's a nice guitar but I felt underwhelmed overall by the guitar. The MIJ I did a shootout with felt better. The gotoh Floyd is nicer than the 1500 Floyd IMO. I would not pay that Much for this.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Played one today out of the box at a local store. It's a nice guitar but I felt underwhelmed overall by the guitar. The MIJ I did a shootout with felt better. The gotoh Floyd is nicer than the 1500 Floyd IMO. I would not pay that Much for this.
This is the best part about having a local store that gets the nice shit in. I have one near me for Gibson, Fender, and Martin. But no one carries high end Jacksons or ESPs near me

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
This is the best part about having a local store that gets the nice shit in. I have one near me for Gibson, Fender, and Martin. But no one carries high end Jacksons or ESPs near me
Tell me about it. When I was first starting to play around the turn of the century, I had to join the army and get stationed at fort Carson to be able to go to Denver and check out Japanese Esps. The only shop within reasonable driving distance from my redneck swamp in Florida that even heard of and carried Esp products only had LTDs.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tell me about it. When I was first starting to play around the turn of the century, I had to join the army and get stationed at fort Carson to be able to go to Denver and check out Japanese Esps. The only shop within reasonable driving distance from my redneck swamp in Florida that even heard of and carried Esp products only had LTDs.
Yup that’s my situation in Northeast Ohio. I’ve never seen any ESP higher than an LTD 1000 series in person. And, until I bought my 85 sight unseen, I had never seen a USA Jackson in person

EDIT: But I can get my hands on $5k+ Gibson, Martin, and Fender any day of the week

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup that’s my situation in Northeast Ohio. I’ve never seen any ESP higher than an LTD 1000 series in person. And, until I bought my 85 sight unseen, I had never seen a USA Jackson in person

EDIT: But I can get my hands on $5k+ Gibson, Martin, and Fender any day of the week

There used to be (early 2000s) a phenomenal music store in Youngstown (Boardman, really) called New York Music that would have been an SSO dream. Every level of guitar from Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc etc. Any amp you could think of, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel, Soldano, Marshall, etc etc. I dunno when they closed, but now the only thing around there is a Guitar Center. So if you want either a $200 Squire or a $4,000 Gibson, they have you covered.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There used to be (early 2000s) a phenomenal music store in Youngstown (Boardman, really) called New York Music that would have been an SSO dream. Every level of guitar from Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc etc. Any amp you could think of, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel, Soldano, Marshall, etc etc. I dunno when they closed, but now the only thing around there is a Guitar Center. So if you want either a $200 Squire or a $4,000 Gibson, they have you covered.
Yeah I'm in the Cleveland area, and Guitar Riot is amazing, but they don't carry the more metal-oriented guitars. There's also the Music Farm in Canton, who carry the metal brands, but never seem to have any high end models in store. Other than that, it's just Guitar Center and Sam Ash

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually got to check one out one of the green ones at Rufus Guitars in Vancouver today, and I think Jackson has a hit with these. It felt and sounded fantastic. Fit and finish was great. I played an MJ yesterday, and while I do prefer the Gotoh trem over this, I still think these are a hit, especially at half the price of an SL1/SL2H (at least here in Canada)

If I hadn't just bought a Stars soloist, I could've very easily been convinced to leave with the green model I played today.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was such a great store. I got my first Jem there. They had so much cool stuff, I remember playing Parkers, N4s, all kinds of cool stuff.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was such a great store. I got my first Jem there. They had so much cool stuff, I remember playing Parkers, N4s, all kinds of cool stuff.
Damn. I’m jealous. The only music gear I bought in the Youngstown area was a Class 5 combo off of a dude on Craigslist. We did meet in the GC parking lot though. Ended up going inside and looking around. Selection was, as expected, garbage.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most stores near me carry hardly any Jackson's. If they do it's the super cheap ones and maybe a Mick Thomson. I've been trying to find a Juggernaut for 3 years now to try out and none of the stores here ever have any.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most stores near me carry hardly any Jackson's. If they do it's the super cheap ones and maybe a Mick Thomson. I've been trying to find a Juggernaut for 3 years now to try out and none of the stores here ever have any.
I got fed up with the shit selection situation in 2020 when I was stuck at home and wanted another guitar. The local Sam Ash had a no questions asked 45 day return policy (no return shipping or restocking fee either if you brought it back to the store). So I ordered what I wanted, thankfully loved all of it, and kept it.

The issue with doing this for a USA Select Jackson is that they’re considered custom shop / non-returnable.

So that’s my advice there. Find a store with a lenient return policy, and place an order

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SS simply isn't an expensive material. Crappy cutlery is made from it, lol.

From Jescar, nickel silver 57110 is $15 and stainless steel is $22. So neither is really "expensive". Certainly not enough to be changing the guitar price in a meaningful way, other than as a marketing point.

So the cost must be the installation time and extra labour time needed. Does anybody have actual numbers for how much longer it takes? Then we see whether SS really is premium, or manufacturers are just skimping...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

From Jescar, nickel silver 57110 is $15 and stainless steel is $22. So neither is really "expensive". Certainly not enough to be changing the guitar price in a meaningful way, other than as a marketing point.

So the cost must be the installation time and extra labour time needed. Does anybody have actual numbers for how much longer it takes? Then we see whether SS really is premium, or manufacturers are just skimping...

It's harder to work, so your taking more time and effort and you're raising the possibility of rework.

It's much harder on tools too, so you have to either replace your tools more, or buy better more expensive ones, which you'll still have to replace a bit more often. Specifically files and nippers/cutters.

I don't think it's possible to get exact numbers on anything, but I don't see a way for them to not be more expensive in a factory setting.

I don't think it's as simple as "skimping" but more of weighing the additional cost vs. impact on sales.

Remember, most guitar players don't even know that different frets exist. So the number of potential lost sales for fret material is probably minimal.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I know it's not an entirely apples to apples comparison, but SS frets are a $25 upgrade from Warmoth on a neck without binding, and a $70 upgrade on a neck with binding.

Remember, most guitar players don't even know that different frets exist. So the number of potential lost sales for fret material is probably minimal.

And I bet a significant amount of the players who do know, don't care.