Jackson American Series

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Ah I understand you now, you're meaning that whilst it says "Corona California" its missing the crucial "made in" bit, and it could just be Jackson choosing to list an address on the back of the headstock, like the old neck plates.
That was my thinking. Every other Jackson line has used “made in” as part of the markings.

Looks like this is US built but with a different team than what we are used to.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was my thinking. Every other Jackson line has used “made in” as part of the markings.

Looks like this is US built but with a different team than what we are used to.
This could have something to do with how MIA Fenders don't say Made in USA anymore either. I don't remember the details, but I remember it being a thing when Fender made the change, which I think had something to do with California's strict requirements for the wording products have as far as origin. I recall wondering at the time if Jackson would have to change too.

And FWIW, you've always been able to get custom orders with the MIA and/or Custom Shop logos moved to the back, which I always thought was really cool.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
And FWIW, you've always been able to get custom orders with the MIA and/or Custom Shop logos moved to the back, which I always thought was really cool.

The serial number threw me off too. It is usually stamped on the fretboard.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dig it. Wish the fretboard was bound of course but great to have Jackson able to actually pump out some US made guitars again. The wheel adjust truss rod and graphite rods are a nice touch (it seems most of my fav guitars have some sort of reinforcement in the neck, so now I look for it in a guitar).

I think having the inlays face the "right" way would look better than just adding binding. The MJ Dinky doesn't have neck binding and it looks great.

ClownShoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If they wanted to save money why not got with cheap chinese tuners instead of gotoh locking?

Why do you even need locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd?

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Jackson always has to make it known you cheaped out. Whether it's no binding, an oversized headstock, or flipped inlay, etc. :lol:

One of the first things I thought seeing this was “they should call it the SL1-“.

Not quite sure what it is, but there’s something I REALLY dislike about this guitar. Seems kind of like a lobotomized Soloist.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
So there's an American made sl3 a Japanese sl3 and an Indonesian sl3. On one side we have Jackson with redundant under descriptive model names and on the other extreme we have Ibanez model names..

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score
So there's an American made sl3 a Japanese sl3 and an Indonesian sl3. On one side we have Jackson with redundant under descriptive model names and on the other extreme we have Ibanez model names..

Better a sequence of descriptive words than cryptic numbers.

I wonder if this will follow the example of Fender and Gretsch with a line of standard-spec instruments and a line of vintage-spec instruments. Do early production Jacksons qualify as vintage instruments? Either way this appears to be the start of a big overhaul of the US-made lineup. The Jackson Guitars website currently lists the KE2 as the only USA Select instrument left.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't get the hate. I mean, to me, this is some neck binding away from absolutely perfect, but I'm not some hardcore Jackson purist by any means.

Looks like shit. I love what Fender does with their own products and with Gretsch, but the Jackson lineup is just weird.

Jackson is a lot like Gibson. They're absolutely hamstrung by a legion of "purists" that cares a lot about fairly minor things like the orientation and material of the inlay, headstock branding, serial number stamping, etc.

So they have to cater to that group, while trying to do new stuff that doesn't alienate their older, spendier fans.

I don't know why Gretsch keeps coming up, FMIC builds and distributes them, but the Gretsch family still controls what they make and market. Jackson is wholly owned and operated by Fender.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you are not a stickler for the "US-made" and "MOP inlays", I think the Korean-made Concept series is the better deal. They actually have more finish options and more adventurous specs. Quality is much improved, too.
Has the quality improved? I remember reading a lot of meh things about the Concepts.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like that you guys can care about binding while I can't even begin to in any case because it's not a seven string. Binding is a problem you wanna have, fellas.

RevelGTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't get the hate. I mean, to me, this is some neck binding away from absolutely perfect, but I'm not some hardcore Jackson purist by any means.

Jackson is a lot like Gibson. They're absolutely hamstrung by a legion of "purists" that cares a lot about fairly minor things like the orientation and material of the inlay, headstock branding, serial number stamping, etc.

So they have to cater to that group, while trying to do new stuff that doesn't alienate their older, spendier fans.

I don't know why Gretsch keeps coming up, FMIC builds and distributes them, but the Gretsch family still controls what they make and market. Jackson is wholly owned and operated by Fender.
I was unaware that they had zero say in the product line given their significant involvement with actually making and selling the instruments. FMIC seems to be able to pull of fantastic QC with even lower end Gretsch stuff, let alone the Terada built guitars that are near flawless in my experience. Jackson QC on imports seems pretty questionable.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was unaware that they had zero say in the product line given their significant involvement with actually making and selling the instruments. FMIC seems to be able to pull of fantastic QC with even lower end Gretsch stuff, let alone the Terada built guitars that are near flawless in my experience. Jackson QC on imports seems pretty questionable.

Because they answer to Gretsch who keeps them honest.

The dogshit Jackson quality is 100% FMIC's fault.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

I don’t think it’s about purity or the like. It just seems that FMIC has no fucking clue what they want Jackson to be. On top of that, it’s also the clear design choices here that are made to really encourage buyers to just go Custom Select. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, this feels like FMIC listening to the complaints about prices, and coming out swinging the olive branch of peace.

The American SL3 with no, single 12th fret, dots, or small Sharkteeth inlays would be a drastic improvement. The backwards sharkfins scream design by committee bullshit chosen to specifically make it different in a way to force a higher dollar purchase. Not a fan, but they’re not dealbreakers for me. The lack of binding actually is because I cannot stand an unbound Jackson neck. Completely cheapens the look.

Beyond that, the A SL3 has great specs. I lean towards slight dislike on the bridge choice, but I’m mostly ambivalent on it. The graphite reinforcement is actually an upgrade in my book over the USA Selects and the 3 piece neck is as well, but not quite as much.

Depends on the price at the end, but this just seems like another near miss from Jackson. I’m also wondering if this signals the death of the MIJ series. Just another thing about this that has me scratching my head. I

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s about purity or the like. It just seems that FMIC has no fucking clue what they want Jackson to be. On top of that, it’s also the clear design choices here that are made to really encourage buyers to just go Custom Select. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, this feels like FMIC listening to the complaints about prices, and coming out swinging the olive branch of peace.

The American SL3 with no, single 12th fret, dots, or small Sharkteeth inlays would be a drastic improvement. The backwards sharkfins scream design by committee bullshit chosen to specifically make it different in a way to force a higher dollar purchase. Not a fan, but they’re not dealbreakers for me. The lack of binding actually is because I cannot stand an unbound Jackson neck. Completely cheapens the look.

Beyond that, the A SL3 has great specs. I lean towards slight dislike on the bridge choice, but I’m mostly ambivalent on it. The graphite reinforcement is actually an upgrade in my book over the USA Selects and the 3 piece neck is as well, but not quite as much.

Depends on the price at the end, but this just seems like another near miss from Jackson. I’m also wondering if this signals the death of the MIJ series. Just another thing about this that has me scratching my head. I

I don't think Fender lacks a clue, I just don't think there's a way to make everyone happy, which is what I was getting at before.

The big problem is that they were too good. The Custom Select was a fucking great idea, but I don't think anyone expected it to be as popular as it was, and now there's a huge backlog and the materials and people needed to make it happen are in short supply.

So they're trying to put out some guitars that will appease folks who don't have the time, or money now that they've had to limit order volume, without alienating those with an order in queue or direct folks down the product ladder.

These are basically just MJs for folks who won't settle for an "import", at least that's what it seems like.

Latest posts