I've fallen in love with Strat single coils (random discussion)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Abaddon9112, May 30, 2015.

1. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

Hey, so most of the time I've been playing I've pretty much avoided single coils like the plague. The first guitar I ever had was a Squire SSS strat, and I never enjoyed the "boingy", trebley tone of those single coils with any kind of distortion. I just couldn't get them to sound crunchy, and wrote them off as whimpy pups for whimpy music lol.

About a year ago I bought a Rondo SX short-scale strat though, with the intention of wiring it in series like Brian May's guitar. With that kind of setup, you can form humbuckers in the 2 and 4 positions from the single coils. But I never did it...because for whatever reason, the cheap, ceramic-magnet single coils in that guitar are awesome:hbang:. The bridge pickup is ridiculously mid-heavy and crunchy, and really good for oldschool metal tones. And the other ones sound smooth and syrupy for cleans and leads.

I don't know if it's just something about those particular pickups, but my opinion of Strat single coils has completely changed. I think they're now my preferred pickup for anything but extreme metal. And I like the ones in that guitar so much that I might get some of those conversion ring things and switch them into my Epiphone LP, which is my go-to rock guitar.

I'd encourage anyone who's anti-SC to try playing some Mercyful Fate stuff with a vintage Marshall kind of tone with them, 'cause they're actually awesome for that.

2. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I've played that guitar and you can do so much better for single coil sounds. I love hot ("Texas") wound AlNiCo singles. Same single vibe, but thick and full sounding.

3. Abaddon9112

Yeah I'm sure there are much better options. I don't have a lot of experience with singles, and I like the sound so much I was kinda worried I won't be able to get the same vibe from a different set. I think what I dig about it is the fact that they're kind of thin sounding, because it cuts through heavy distortion in a cool way.

But yeah, I'll have to check them out:yesway:

4. thebunfather

thebunfather Custom Monkey

I had a very similar experience a couple months back. I've always been a HH or HSH player, and decided to build a strat in honor of my grandparents passing. It's basically a MIM body and Warmoth neck. For pickups, I went with Instrumental Pickups custom winds. And fell in love with them. Something about the raw-ness and articulation of them. And having to work a little more for each note. Definitely a different vibe from what I was used to. Obviously, they don't "work" for everything, but are definitely a useful tool to have around.

5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Yeah, my buddy (whom I look up to -- knows a lot more than me, better ear than me, etc.) told me I should stop getting humbuckers and get some single-coil guitars. He's a big PRS fan, so he recommended a 513. I have my Fender mexistrat that I put the Gilmour pickup set in and my Parker Southern Fly, so I don't feel the need, but yeah, singlecoils have a completely different sound, and it's a good sound, and should not be ignored. Tom Morello's sound is very singlecoil-based, and it's hooky as.

6. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Always favored single coils over buckers, at least for my own playing; when it comes to listening, it's 50/50.

My favorite single sounds are the old-school glassy tone. the more creamy ones with a little presence peak, and the Texas Heat likes.
    And of course Todd Rundgren's sound from back in the (psychedelics) days ;)
    Ohh, and the OBL 450's in my D├╝esenberg Starplayer, though those.are really single coil shaped twin-blade buckers.

7. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Rio Grande Muy Grande = BALLS

About as hot as a BKP Painkiller, but with fat, rich single coil tone. :metal:

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Single coils and P90s are my favorite also.

Don't write off those "cheap" ceramic single coils. I've kept them in my Fernandes over 20 years now.
    Been through a lot of money in pickup swaps, and they always win out.

Best recorded SSS strat tones I've gotten was with a $99 Squire Bullet.

9. Abaddon9112

I just find it so amusing that I've never been able to get that biting, early 80s "treble rebel" rhythm sound with humbuckers without OD pedals and all kinds of tweaking. But like, single coils do it automatically:lol:

10. geekusa

geekusa SS.org Regular

Single coils sound awesome, and get some sounds that no humbucker will so I love them for that. I have a fetish for HS guitars. Love bridge hum for rhythms, but a neck single for leads/cleans can be so sweet!
    Also listen to Live in Munich 1977 by Rainbow, and you'll be addicted to single coil tones.

11. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I absolutely adore single coil tones for nearly all applications. Give me Texas Blues-style true singles for my cleans and low-gain distortion, and slap a hum-cancelling pup like the Virtual Solo in the bridge for Rock and Metal, and I'll have everything I need.

Unfortunately, I'm primarily a seven string player... and without going custom, my only options as far as compatible guitars seem to be Agile's Sentinels... I'm tempted to buy one, but I have no idea if the quality's any good...

12. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

^The EMG SA-7 pickups sound surprisingly awesome.

13. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I have some Fralin Blues Specials in my Strat. They are killer single coils.

14. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I myself have found I'm liking single coils more and more lately. My current custom that I'm having built will have 3 Seymore Duncan quarter pounders.

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

GFS Tru Coils, and their Neo Vins.