ITT: People who can't take a joke

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Church2224, Jul 19, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orb451

orb451 Banned

Look at the high taxes with the guitar analogy again. Say you have a whole collection of guitars (10 or more for arguments sake) that you worked your ass off for, why should you feel compelled or *be* compelled by government or law, to give up 4 or 5 of them because someone else wants them? Or, say they don't even want them, what if they just want to sell them and use that money for other crap. Think about it. You LOVE those guitars. They're your tools, they bring you happiness and joy, why would you willingly give them up?

Now lets say you *inherited* a collection of guitars from a dead uncle. Same scenario, you've got a bunch on your hands and each one is like a color on an artists palette. They still bring you joy and you *have* an attachment to them, even if you didn't put your blood sweat and tears scrounging to save for them. They still mean something so why would you give 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 of them away?

Lastly, what if you studied, went to school or took a class and *learned* how to build your own guitars? You poured your heart and soul into making these guitars and crafting them precisely till the end product was a beastly machine, why again, would you want to give up the fruits of your hard work? You bought the tools to make them, you educated yourself on how to build them correctly, and the end result is stunning. Why give that up??? Why should the small luthiers feel compelled to give away their products for free, simply because someone is going without?

Now I know some will say, well guitars aren't a necessity, people can and do exist without them, they're just guitars. That's fine. Hopefully no one's going there, but if you were tempted to, *obviously* just substitute guitars for MONEY.

2. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

Well the point is where it becomes cheaper to pay out than to police, surely?

That's a case often made in Europe when people argue against increasing taxation or closing tax loopholes for the wealthy and for businesses. "If we tighten things the businesses will move abroad and the people will emigrate". They simply don't. On the contrary, it seems to make people strive even harder and make yet more money.

3. orb451

orb451 Banned

Don't call me surely :lol:

Joke aside, in trying to find that article with the 61 or 81 million or whatever it was that was spent on EBT (food stamp) fraud in Cali I found some PDF that had $300 million spent annually on general welfare abuse. I don't know how accurate it is, so I'm not going to cite it. Point being though, if *any* money is being wasted it's worth pursuing/policing.

Well in the states it has happened where businesses have been driven out of state or country by higher taxes or higher costs of doing business. Perhaps it's not as prevalent in Europe. Or maybe they're just better at hiding their income in tax shelters and flying under the radar. :idea:

I think the truth is, it does affect some businesses and wealthy individuals (increasing taxes or the cost of doing business) adversely and others adapt and others go out of business entirely and everything in between.

In other words, I don't think it's all one way or the other.

In other news, my penis is incredibly small.

bostjan likes this.
  4. chronocide

Even if the cost of policing is more than the wastage?

There's certainly a great deal of tax avoidance on the go. We've had recent extensive protests about a couple of companies in particular, but plenty are at it.

All in though, I find it hard to care if some people go away, if they don't want to contribute at the same level as others that's entirely their right, but those who do want to live in an area should contribute to the society, and I think every society has a right to the very best in health, education, emergency services, public transport and so on. If that means the contribution is significant, that's fine by me.

Should be noted, that even with very high income tax on the rich, the wealthy will still pay less tax as an overall percentage of income than the poor because of the taxes which are paid at the same level for everyone: Fuel duty, VAT or it's equivalent depending on the nation and so on.

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I really like the new title :lol:

6. orb451

orb451 Banned

Absolutely not, if you can't control spending on the *policing* side of things, how can you be expected to control spending on services and benefits?

See what I've done? That's how *I* feel about people and their ability to succeed. If you want all these services to be paid for like the things you listed as basic "rights" then the money to pay for them has to come from someone, somewhere, I just don't see why the burden should be on the backs of those that can "supposedly" afford to pay for them.

Why say "supposedly"? Because again, this kind of conversation almost always turns into a shit slinging fest about how the Rich are evil and *have* to pay for everyone and everything else, simply because it seems like they should be able to do it without batting an eyelash.

And rarely if ever goes into eliminating the root causes, which all boil down to attitude and drive. A lack of one or a bad iteration of the other can sink anyone. Instead it's all bandaids for bullet wounds.

7. orb451

orb451 Banned

:lol::lol::lol: Seems like someone can't handle all the *love* :lol::lol::lol:

8. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

:lol: @ thread title and orb's pink lettering.

9. orb451

orb451 Banned

10. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Randy.

:ugh:

Rich, shoot me a message tomorrow so I remember to come in here and share my pseudo-conservative views.

11. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I don't see any issue with the rich being made to pay much higher income tax than those less well off. :shrug:

12. orb451

orb451 Banned

Don't bother man, this shit'll be closed up tighter than a virgin's honeypot tomorrow :lol:

"that's ok.... some people have to play their little games..."

13. orb451

orb451 Banned

Me neither, and thankfully, I can afford to do it too! :metal:

14. orb451

orb451 Banned

"... our true enemy, has not yet revealed himself..."

:lol::lol::lol:

Whenever you're ready to join the discussion oh mod of mods, show yourself and join the discussion! :bowdown::lol:

15. chronocide

The burden should fall on everyone. From each by his means, to each for his need.

Is anyone saying the rich should be paying for everything? Only that those with the ability to pay most should pay most. 20% of the income of a man earning 14K a year has a bigger impact on living standards than 50% of a man earning 300K.

16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Can someone make all my posts have sharks in them?

17. The Somberlain

The Somberlain Hollow Man

Your text is pink; your argument is invalid:lol:

18. orb451

orb451 Banned

Your text is greyish/white, your post is worthless. :lol:

EDIT: And so is mine until it turns PINK!!!!

19. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I thought it was more a matter of cutting payroll costs by paying lower wages to employees overseas. ;)

Working where I do, I have insight I'd rather not have into the mind(s) of corporate structure. Most of these big business owners -- and I can't blame them, really -- will do anything and everything they can to maximize quarterly profits, in order to keep the shareholders/B.O.D happy. Long term outlooks be damned. Honestly, if a 3% shift (in either direction) in taxes so completely destroys one's profit model, I submit one has a shitty business plan to begin with. ;)

20. orb451

orb451 Banned

That's definitely one component to it, driving profits higher and cutting overhead. But overhead isn't *just* employee wages, that's a huge part of it, but not the whole story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.