It's official, a """Pantera reunion""" is happening.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Short interview with Zakk where he talks about learning Pantera songs. I totally agree when he says "why would I know those songs". Being in a cover band I'm constantly asked "hey can you guys play :insert popular song name here:" and I more often than not say I don't know that song and people will sometimes be shocked I don't know every popular song ever written. Just because he was close friends with Dime doesn't mean they both sat down and taught each other their entire catalog of songs. But I really hope he learns the stuff as exact as possible. I'm a huge Dime fan and I would like to hear the solos/riffs like they are on the record and not with his Zakk Wylde seasoning sprinkled on all of it.

Lol

Riffer

Reaction score
Someone snuck a video of soundcheck. Sounds pretty solid to me. Phil sounds good. Almost too good considering he's sounded hit or miss in recent years. Hopefully it's all him and he's gotten his vocals in shape for these shows. I have a few things mostly regarding the solo that I could nit pick but it's still better than what I could've pulled off and it's Zakk Fucking Wylde. Definitely going to be on YouTube first thing tomorrow morning looking for videos and setlist.

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Live music is fun, and I would pay to see a cover band that has Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante, so that's my stance on it. I know the internet cares what I think :lol:

Kwert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Someone snuck a video of soundcheck. Sounds pretty solid to me. Phil sounds good. Almost too good considering he's sounded hit or miss in recent years. Hopefully it's all him and he's gotten his vocals in shape for these shows. I have a few things mostly regarding the solo that I could nit pick but it's still better than what I could've pulled off and it's Zakk Fucking Wylde. Definitely going to be on YouTube first thing tomorrow morning looking for videos and setlist.

I'm deeply suspicious of those vocals, but whatever, everyone who sees them will have fun! Zakk is great and it wasn't like he played the solo badly, it just... it's such an iconic solo and it's hard to hear it played so differently.

soul_lip_mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The people singing along was quite distracting but I get the hype.

I too am a little miffed when I hear the solo not played 100% note for note like Dime would because of how damn iconic that is but i also get that Zakk will put his own spin on it.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Barf. I'm glad to see rock/metal going to shit considering this is the garbage people seem to be encouraging. Rock/metal fans do not deserve good things and the genre is a step or less above blues, both of which are dead genres at this point.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I too am a little miffed when I hear the solo not played 100% note for note like Dime would because of how damn iconic that is but i also get that Zakk will put his own spin on it.
Well I have seen Pantera live and Dime didn't play his solos like on the record either. There were slight alterations here and there like mostly everybody, especially because it's pretty easy to screw a bend when you're running everywhere on the stage. For all his personal style can be mocked after becoming a parody of itself, Zakk is a killer stage musician.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I listened to some other clips and my bet is Cb. It's really low, and maaaybe it's even B. I'm not a Pantera scholar, most of their stuff was around D/D# originally no ?

Kwert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I listened to some other clips and my bet is Cb. It's really low, and maaaybe it's even B. I'm not a Pantera scholar, most of their stuff was around D/D# originally no ?
Cowboys and Vulgar were in E standard. Those songs were taken down a whole step in the show above.

Edit: yeah, sorry! On closer listen, stuff seems to be in C#, not D.

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Skimming on the Youtube videos posted so far, I can't believe that I'm genuinely surprised by Phil, and dissappointed by Zakk. The solos just barely resemble the originals, and they're like 70% Zakk Wylde's signature noodling.

Looks like he only had time to learn the Walk solo :lol:

Kwert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Skimming on the Youtube videos posted so far, I can't believe that I'm genuinely surprised by Phil, and dissappointed by Zakk. The solos just barely resemble the originals, and they're like 70% Zakk Wylde's signature noodling.

Looks like he only had time to learn the Walk solo :lol:

Kinda what I’ve been feeling too. I think his lead tone is also just… not raunchy enough, at least to my ears.

Xaeldaren

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
C# standard. Sounds like a step and a half down to me. or step and a quarter

This. I had way too much time on my hands today, so I went back and forth between the live Cowboys from Hell and versions that were on youtube that went from D to C#, and C# was bang on.