It's official, a """Pantera reunion""" is happening.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I remember somebody letting me know about it over MSN Messenger...

Same here, and I heard about it several days after because Myspace (which I guess was the big thing back then) didn't have that kind of "news feed" thing :lol: And even if it did, I don't think I would've noticed since notifications weren't really a thing yet and I didn't check Myspace that often.
It's weird how chat behaviour has developed since then. Current messenger apps like the fb messenger, whatsapp, etc. do exactly the same thing but people just don't chat there the same way anymore. I used to chat with my friends on MSN Messenger for hours every day, but since social media became a thing everyone I care about just went quiet.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It's weird how chat behaviour has developed since then. Current messenger apps like the fb messenger, whatsapp, etc. do exactly the same thing but people just don't chat there the same way anymore. I used to chat with my friends on MSN Messenger for hours every day, but since social media became a thing everyone I care about just went quiet.

Yup. We're more connected than ever yet we are the most antisocial we've ever been.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I was mainly a fan in my mid-teens. Growing up in a different part of the world, i had no idea the significance of that flag on his guitar. It was just "hey, it's that flag i've seen on TV a few times". I always hated Phil, just from his stupid tough guy persona, but hated him even more over the years as the internet revealed his racism.l.

I'm on the same boat. At the time it was just a flag about something I didn't know about, but since Pantera were so famous I never thought it had any negative meaning.

I remember Killswitch Engange making a video about coming here to play in Spain. You know, the typical "We're coming at your country" kinda vid. But the flag they had in the background was wrong. it was the flag of the Dictator Francisco Franco (the equivalent of a Nazi flag), and fans were outraged. Talk about screwing it up big time.

The more connected we get, the more we realize how fucked up we all are and the more we want to avoid actual interaction with those fucked up 'others.'

I don't think that is the problem. Back in the Messenger days, everybody had those nicknames and subtitles and stuff that pretty much changed depending on the mood. Cringy? Maybe, but you could tell when somebody was happy, struggling, etc. and have a nice conversation. I used to chat with plenty of friends daily.

Nowadays everything has turned into pretending to have a perfect life and just posting shit to make others jealous or whatever. It's funny because I only seem to appear in social media from other people since I don't give a shit about posting my life on the internet (and my partner even less).

I'd rather waste my "social media" time here talking gear and stuff :lol:

Last edited:

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve never purchased anything Zakk has made on his own. Never really liked it.

As for Ozzy? I liked his early stuff best before Zakk was in the band. No More Tears is a great album. But I never bought it. I did have Ozmosis. But that was a gift from someone.
Well aren't you wonderful. You sound too good to be true.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
Well aren't you wonderful. You sound too good to be true.

Yeah, a regular breath of fresh air I’m sure.

I’ve also never liked Zakk’s persona either. That motorcycle gang thing has a lot of negative connotations too. I know he does it to creat his community around his band. To have a subculture for his fans…. But The Hells Angels and gangs like them did a lot of people super dirty over the years and have been involved in organized crime. It’s also not really a great look, though not overtly racist.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, a regular breath of fresh air I’m sure.

I’ve also never liked Zakk’s persona either. That motorcycle gang thing has a lot of negative connotations too. I know he does it to creat his community around his band. To have a subculture for his fans…. But The Hells Angels and gangs like them did a lot of people super dirty over the years and have been involved in organized crime. It’s also not really a great look, though not overtly racist.
The problem is that when he was in Ozzy's band for the albums you mentioned never buying, he was nothing like he appears today. I've met him 2 or 3 times during those years (mid 90s) and he was more like a skinny hippie with bell bottoms and a giant tractor chain from his wallet to his jeans. The grizzled biker stuff came way later. He was a friendly guy and took time to interact with his fans. I wouldn't write him off based on your preconceptions of his BLS image.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
The problem is that when he was in Ozzy's band for the albums you mentioned never buying, he was nothing like he appears today. I've met him 2 or 3 times during those years (mid 90s) and he was more like a skinny hippie with bell bottoms and a giant tractor chain from his wallet to his jeans. The grizzled biker stuff came way later. He was a friendly guy and took time to interact with his fans. I wouldn't write him off based on your preconceptions of his BLS image.

I remember that time period and that image. He’s certainly wrote some good stuff for Ozzy. I’ve just never enjoyed his solo output. But honestly, his Ozzy output went downhill too. After No More Tears there were a few cool songs on Osmosis. Then it was mostly throwaway riffs and the same pentatonic shred he always does. TBCH, I’ve never been a huge Ozzy fan either. Or Sabbath for that matter. So it’s never been an issue to just ignore Zakk for me. I just never cared all that much. I was more into Friedman, Vai, and Satriani for technical stuff, and grunge for songwriting. For just listening I’ve always been more of an Industrial/EDM person. Getting into metal was more of a “this is fun to play” when I was learning to play guitar and drums in the 90s. In retrospect, I like post punk and late 70s punk more than I do Metal.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Apparently the confederate guitar is several years old and is in honor of his hero dime but he has since got rid of the guitar because of the connotation which was not on his radar at the time. We should still hate him though because every single person is irredeemable.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apparently the confederate guitar is several years old and is in honor of his hero dime but he has since got rid of the guitar because of the connotation which was not on his radar at the time. We should still hate him though because every single person is irredeemable.
We are scum waiting to rot.

At least that's the nihilist take, anyways.

ArtDecade

カシオペア
Reaction score
Even Avenged Sevenfold is gettin' in on the action!

View attachment 112106

His dad is a hardcore Trumper so the apple don't fall too far from the tree

On his website: "I don’t play it nor do I own it anymore. Honestly, I wanted one because of my hero Dimebag but now that I’ve seen the overwhelming effect that it has on people, I can’t be a party to it. I’m not saying that all people that still support the confederate flag support the negative connotations. I just have no excuse being a kid from So-Cal witnessing all the people it offends representing any part of it right, wrong, or indifferent." (Circa March 2018)

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On his website: "I don’t play it nor do I own it anymore. Honestly, I wanted one because of my hero Dimebag but now that I’ve seen the overwhelming effect that it has on people, I can’t be a party to it. I’m not saying that all people that still support the confederate flag support the negative connotations. I just have no excuse being a kid from So-Cal witnessing all the people it offends representing any part of it right, wrong, or indifferent." (Circa March 2018)
Well shit, dude learned and grew up instead of doubling down and blaming woke millennials or cancel culture. Major props.
...His dad still fucking sucks tho.

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Well shit, dude learned and grew up instead of doubling down and blaming woke millennials or cancel culture. Major props.
...His dad still fucking sucks tho.

Meanwhile, Zakk still owns the Bottle Cap/Confederate Flag Les Paul Custom. And currently has a hard-on for Odin Runes/Viking imagery. A literal wet dream for white supremacists.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha! Love this.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Zakk still owns the Bottle Cap/Confederate Flag Les Paul Custom. And currently has a hard-on for Odin Runes/Viking imagery. A literal wet dream for white supremacists.
How very dare he!!! Cancel him, cancel him now!