Issues with candy coat (paint)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by electriceye, Aug 20, 2017.

1. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

So, of course, I've picked everything difficult with my V build. I'm getting there, but, of course, I tried fixing a minor paint issue on the upper side of the headstock and ended up having to sand it back down to bare wood, re-prime and spray candy coats again (and, yes, of course, I'm running out of candy again!!). Here's something I'm sure you paint gurus can help me with. I'm constantly getting these little pits in the candy coat. Even if I spray many times, it's as if the paint avoids those little spots. This has really messed me up a LOT on this damn paint job. I can build it up and sometimes it's ok, other times it's not. Is it a dirty surface? Admittedly, I sprayed two coats of primer tonight half hour apart, dried and then sprayed one coat without wiping it down with naptha. Pic attached of my issue.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. karnivorus

karnivorus SS.org Regular

Often this is caused by over thinned paint or too heavy coats too fast. With candy you want to build up the finish with thin coats, like between 5 and 7 super light coats. Each coat should be properly flashed before applying the next. Use a tack rag to remove overspray or any particle that may have set on the surface. Candy can be a bitch to get right but I admire you for trying!

Also to get the most out of candy you'd want to spray an aluminium base after your primer to really get a nice reflective deep look to the top color.

electriceye and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Thank you! Yes, I hear you about the undercoat. This particular one was supposed to be a KK DOwning tribute/replica which didn't seem to have much metallic paint so I skipped that part and opted for white primer underneath. (I could be wrong, never saw one up close, in person).

It's possible I've been impatient and spraying too heavy each time. I had a slightly similar issue when I sprayed the black on the headstock once or twice.

If I ever want another candy paint job, I'm sending it to Styke. :D The finishing process on this has, literally, taken me months (partly b/c it's summer and humid out).