Is your 100W amp really 100W? Steve Fryette's answer inside >>>

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalDaze, Feb 27, 2012.

1. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I came across this on the Fryette forum and found it interesting. Steve jumped in during a user conversation around different amps and power ratings:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Which, again, illustrates how little wattage influences volume.

Though, I'd be curious to know the settings, especially the bias, at which the other amps were set to.

3. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

Isnt it funny that by his figures only his products are above the rated output?

And ive seen figures similar to those before, except everything was closer to the rated figures and easier to believe. Abd it was on this site too.

4. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Here's the thread I pulled it out of:

So, everyone else is doing it......

On page 5, there's some talk about a new Fryette power amp designed for modelers.

5. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

+1

6. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

aren't 60W RMS more than enough for a good reputable headache??

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

One watt is.

Wattage is not a measure of volume.

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I rarely turn my rec's output knob past 10:00, so it doesn't matter for me anyways lol.

9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Yeah, that pretty much makes me call bullshit on the whole affair.

10. Max_SMW

Max_SMW Well-Known Member

I have had a Diezel Herbert (180 Watts), a Mesa Triple Rectifier (150 Watts) and now a Mesa Roadster (100 Watts) and in the whole time playing small to big venues as well as recording I could not find ANY advantages in high wattage tube amplifiers, but sadly enough a lot that speaks against them.
    It`s no fun at all when you have to set a Herbert to about 1.5 of 10 on the master because the FOH guy is going nuts about how loud your amp is on stage.

I don`t care how much my Roadster can deliver, because I will never play it above 11` on the master, and even that is absurdly loud.

A 5 Watt amp may not have enough power to deliver very low tunings at high volumes, but everything above 30 Watts is plenty for every real life situation, just my 2 cents :)

11. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I second this

12. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Wattage is about headroom..not volume..hasn't this been stated enough? As long as my amp has a punchy and clean power section, I'm happy. I prefer higher wattage amps for that reason. I'm well aware that most companies bump their wattage, 100=60, 50=35, etc. I prefer 100 watt amps because I want the most headroom I can get.

13. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

What that means is simply that Fryette is creating hype for his wares. What he isnt telling you is that that is "clean power". What I mean by that is that is how much power the amp is producing before the onset of clipping (distortion). All amplifier manufacturers follow the same rules and guidelines for power ratings of amplifiers. The difference of 20 watts will amount to exactly jack much less shit. What he is basically saying is that his amps are no more than 3 db louder than any other amp on that list. Its funny how he is pointing out deception while clearly not revealing the truth himself.

14. JeffHenneman

JeffHenneman SS.org Regular

You make some very valid points, especially about "clean power" before clipping.
    Not all that he says is just hypeing his product up. He is dead on about the mesa 2:90. When I had to get mine repaired the tech put the rating numbers on my invoice and it was 65 watts. I asked him about that and he pretty much said the same thing as mr fryette.

15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Wondering why a 1U 6L6 power amp that can be FRFR AND "classic power amp" isn't a topic with 400 replies already. I'm certainly interested as an axefx owner, besides I've been praying for a 1U 6L6 power amp for ages.

16. Randomist

Randomist SS.org Regular

Isn't it common practice for some to rate their amps with some clipping, while others rate them "RMS clean" as Orange does? Creating the impression of more headroom on paper, but who cares about the paper? Use those flappy things on the side of your head.

17. themike

themike Chug Life

Did he also write a post about defaulting on a loan and forking over the name rights to your company?* THAT I would read :lol:

* I am a proud owner of a VHT/Fryette product and post this reaction out of love.

18. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Yeah dont get me wrong he is making a valid point and It has been widely known for many years now that not all 50 and 100 watt amps are created equal when it comes to true clean RMS wattage. This is especially true of el84 amps as it is virtually impossible to squeeze 50 clean watts out of a quad of them. My point was simply that Mr. Fryette was kinda being a pot calling the kettle black in the sense that he is flat out calling out these other companies on not being completely forthcoming with their wattage ratings while he himself is not telling the whole truth either. He never eludes to the fact that while his amps produce more power than the competition that it will only marginally increase the amount of clean headroom and will be virtually undetectable db wise. Basically he is calling other companies out on being deceptive while at the same time only telling half truths.

19. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

I guess I'll put my Triple Recto on a Kill A Watt and see whats up :squint:.

20. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

True. Its an ok indicator though, but its mostly about frequency bandwidth and headroom.
    My DIY tube amp is supposed to be 15w. I biased it a little bit cold, yet the correct power measurments gave me 19W.