Is tuning down by software cheating?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by paul.dines05, Jul 14, 2020.

1. paul.dines05

paul.dines05 SS.org Regular

I just want to know your professional opinions.

I've been watching this Gai Tadasu on youtube and I wonder if tuning down your instrument by using a software is considered chearing?

Here's proof:

You can see there that he is using a VST plugin to tune down his violin.

Unlike Davie504 he really did slap his violin pretty well.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

using software is cheating

Alimination and anthony.drake like this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don't know if it's "cheating," but if I heard it and thought it was cool, and then heard that it was done with software, I'd think it was way less cool. It would be like if I sang some crazy high notes, and then you found out later I can't sing that high, so I just moved it up in the software. The song stands the same, but it somehow now seems less impressive.

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I mean... Did anyone think he DIDN'T manipulate the sound to make that happen?

Would it somehow be more impressive if it was done with a pedal?

Maybe I'm out of the loop here but I don't understand the problem.

5. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

There is no cheating in music

6. Dayn

Dayn silly person

No.

I remember tuning a note up a whole tone in one of my songs because it was otherwise a great take and I didn't want to re-record it because of that mistake. That was fun. Editing is magical.

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Without software a lot of stuff we hear nowadays simply is not possible. Instruments are more difficult to play and record when you reach a certain point of tuning down depending on it's scale length.
    - There's something more fulfilling to me personally if I can actually play and record what I create without over specialized equipment. That being said, there's very few boundaries now with these advanced processors. They make life and experimenting easier but with that comes a trade off / loss of working with what you got. The less is more concept has some meritas in you focus more on the riff/song without it. I have a lot of respect for people that cn get by with just an acoustic or classical and still be fullfilled with it, let alone write good songs still. It's really hard to do, imo.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm just incredibly bothered by the fact that this video demoing the sound of an instrument didn't get rid of the background track when starting to play something. My brain can't focus on two songs at once. I completely forgot why I was watching after that.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Effects aren't cheating necessarily, but if one is using effects to alter elements of a performance that they represent to be unaltered and wholly reflective of their skill, they need a new hobby.

couverdure likes this.
  10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Not a problem per se, more a question of an actual accomplishment. Let me put it in different terms then. One man works out for years to be able to bench press 400lbs, while another man presses the same weight using the aid of a hydraulic lift. Both men were able to lift the same amount of weight, but one was able to do on his own, while the other had to rely on a mechanical artifice.

Going off on an obvious tangent here, but it ultimately becomes a question of integrity. Not that the vid in question is that big a deal, but cheating still feels like cheating regardless.

11. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

There is no such thing as "cheating" in music and the idea is just stupid. Use what you have to get what you want. If you're happy with it, then you've won. It's that simple

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Nailed it.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. Kaura

Kaura single-coils do djent!

Not really, especially since you can do the same exact thing with hardware, for example using the Digitech Whammy. Now is that cheating?

14. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

If you make a series of noises in whatever sequence you like then you’re doing well. Doesn’t matter how the noises were achieved. Make music and be happy.

Vyn, c7spheres and budda like this.
  15. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

And I could understand that if we were talking about Hollow's example of a vocalist re-pitching everything in post, or the rumors about Rings of Saturn if they're true.

But we're not. We're talking about an effect, and an obvious one at that.

The instrument was still played and played well, it's just an effect was used to make it sound different than it would unplugged. AKA what literally everyone here does with their guitars.

To bastardize your analogy:
    One musician achieves distortion through the use of a pedal. Another achieves distortion by jiggling their ass cheeks so fast they cause ripples in spacetime around the speakers. Both were able to produce the effect, but one is obviously Chuck Norris so cut the other some slack.

budda likes this.
  16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Well that is highly debatable. If you are editing songs together note by note and then mime guitar videos to trick people into thinking you’re the second coming of Paganini then that’s the very definition of cheating. If I have the fastest downpicked song 50% faster than master of puppets cause I used samples and make a sped up video then that’s cheating. Same goes for splicing together lots of vocal takes and using autotune and other methods to achieve things the vocalist couldn’t do.

By all means do whatever you need to do to achieve your musical vision but cheating is cheating.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Using tools to do anything you can’t physically do is cheating, IMO. A singer digitally changing their pitch to reach higher notes is cheating because they aren’t able to otherwise. Tuning on a guitar isn’t because it can be done easily by turning pegs etc, there’s no ability involved.

18. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Guys....

Music isn't a sport.

There is no cheating.

19. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Using electricity is cheating.

jaxadam and budda like this.
  20. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Who cares?

If you do all those things and you enjoy it then that's all that matters.

budda likes this.