Is Thrash The New "Dad Rock"?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by wakjob, Jan 2, 2020.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I still highly appreciate the comedy that the best guitarist in that band was playing bass :lol:

2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

If you ever had kids my 432 Hz comrad...I would hug them and squeeze them & name them all George!:hug:

;>)/

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Metal categories are the usual can of worms, but I don't think you can use tone to define them. Nothing sounds more different than the first 4 Metallica albums to each other. The scooped mids thing only happened later in the 90es and isn't a part of thrash per se.

That said, I wanted to correct a few falshoods I've read on this topic:

a)Being in your 40es rocks, you're still allowed to be a late teenager but you have an adult income, meaning you can actually buy the toys you want. No, don't give me that look, especially *here*, which is a place where grown-ups gather to talk about their toys.

b) How many swear words can dad rock allow in a sentence ?

c) I concur that the latest Kreator album is reaaaaally good. Kreator has hit a good creative spot these recent years. Their career likely didn't reach what it could because half their catalogue sounds like shit.

d) Since when do metalheads care if they're relevant ? A few years back I had a dude telling me I wasn't a true metalhead because I liked babymetal. I told him "you can be a metalhead, or you can be a conformist. Pick one, then go and fuck yourself."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I consider myself a "metalhead" and I think Abba is possibly the greatest band that has ever existed.

works0fheart and Wuuthrad like this.
  5. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

TESTAMENT

Still relevant and better than ever. These guys should of been in the big 4. They where ahead of them all musically.

6. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

I've never heard thrash being called "dad rock" but I have had a pack of young metalheads tell me and one of their dads (who was in a Sepultura style band) we were all about the "dad metal" in Austin about 7 or 8 years ago.

I'm totally ok with that cause the "dad metal" era they defined had bands that didn't all sound the same, singers who were pioneering vocal styles the kids these days just imitate and a scene that makes the one these days seem like watered-down weaksauce.

A band these days sells 5,000 albums the first week and thinks it's a major success... we sold 30,000 and didn't touch the Testament album that came out the same month and sold 75,000. Dad Metal is the best metal. Prove me wrong...