Is this insane deal on a PRS legit?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by guitaardvark, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Hey all,

So I'm in the market for a PRS and found this: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/d/campbell-2003-prs-custom-top/6987629191.html (same guitar can be found here: https://reverb.com/item/28038367-prs-custom-22-10-top)

For a 10 top core, even an old one, that's a ridiculous price, and I really don't mind the cosmetic damage. However, I know it's not unheard of for people to sell fake guitars way below market value because of apparent damage. I checked the serial online and it checks out for the year and model. Are there any other ways to tell if it's a fake other than shoddy craftsmanship? I only have experience with SEs, and I might be trading my Axe FX for this so I'd like to be certain.

P.S. Interestingly enough, if you google "Jason Dyer One Less Reason," then the only thing that comes up is the Reverb listing for this guitar. Also, he's the drummer of the band.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's a pretty good, but not absolutely unheard of, price for one this old and in this condition.

The thing is, most folks who care about getting "10 Tops" care about color and condition, the two things this doesn't really have going for it, which is why it's priced closer to a CE or non-10 22.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Seems legit, guy is probably just trying to move it ASAP

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I sold a custom 22 wraptail in emerald green with birds (kind of rare?) For $1400cad because i beat it up and the pickups werent stock :shrug:. IMO V12 finish prs are just the nicer instrument. This seems a reasomable price.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Looks legit, but the price isn’t that crazy for what it is. Probably a great guitar and well worth the money, but not enough of a steal to buy it for the price alone.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Buy it already!

7. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Few years back that was the typical price

If it has gone up, maybe they just don't realize it. Or maybe used PRS in non-super-uber-minty condition just don't have a niche, and they just get priced at the upper end of the "player" price range if the seller wants it to sell

8. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

I actually emailed PRS with the serial and they gave me a description of a guitar that matches this one exactly. I'll be meeting with the seller tonight to pick it up. Thanks for the responses everyone! It's comforting to know that it's a good deal, but not a red flag kind of good deal.

AkiraSpectrum and budda like this.
  9. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Yeah the color combo and 22 fret hard tail bridge isn't the most popular, the main issue being less condition PRS customs have a hard time reselling

I did a lot of digging before recently before getting one myself

mint customs +/- 10 top in the past few years - 1700-2k
    mint older custom - 1400-1700
    worn older custom - 1k-1400

10. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Judging by the pics, it's not all that spectacular of a top, so the price doesn't seem all that crazy. Just make sure you pay with cash in hand.

11. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Based on the pictures/location, I may have bought my black Custom 22 from this person. If you want to PM their phone # once you get it, I can cross reference.

12. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

That’s pretty beat, so yeah $1200 seems about right.