Is this Gibson Flying V legit?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Hey guys.

My friend is looking at scooping up a Gibson Flying V, and he’s wondering about it’s legitness. What say thee? It looks good to me, but I am no authority on Gibsons.

6618075-C-A435-443-C-8072-B6-B4-C5-BBCBB4.jpg

54-F07218-CF6-B-425-B-A128-FCBD00-F3-B281.jpg

ABB6-BC70-126-C-4-A73-9-BE2-23-C7-FF74751-F.jpg
95842-C2-F-128-A-42-EC-9-CE8-DB6578-C65648.jpg

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first gibbo with so much paint you can't make out the serial. You can barely see the one on my explorer. It could be under there...

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- Why not email Gibson the picts and ask them? Even if it's counterfeit, if Gibson accepts it into the family then it's now a legit Gibson with email proof. lol.
- I'd say if you play it and it feels like a Gibson it probably is. The few fakes of other brands I have played always feel different even if they look the same. If not, that's a damn good looking fake. I know nothing about Gibsons though in the big picture of things. It's probably real. Seems to much effort and to close for such a small profit from anyone who'd fake it, imo.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen that finish...if it's not a copy then maybe it's a refinish? I could see it having been a faded V or something and refinished.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it a strange shade of chalky white? Or is the white pickguard and white rug throwing the colour balance off on the camera? Could it actually be vintage white with a pure white pickguard?...

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
What year is it? I'm thinking it's a refin or a demo shop or something. It's got the right bridge, and the dimensions seem correct, but I've never seen that color and the fact that you can see the made in USA but no serial, maybe just a tiny number peeking if I'm seeing correctly, is a bit telling to me that there was a refinish.

Also, what do you mean by seller says the serial is vague? @Blytheryn

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
See if you can get him to send some pics of where the serial should be from multiple angles, and you may be able to make it out by changing the contrast and stuff on the images. My V is white and it's pretty hard to get the serial to show completely well in photos.

uni777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just looked at mine. The year seems to be missing and the spacing of U S A is wider than on mine. While the serial on mine is pretty vague you can clearly see it is there. Not so much on this V. Check with Gibson as stated above.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Seller got back to my friend, said it was a possible refinish.

He’d rather have one in the original color, so he’s bowing out.

Thanks guys!

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
Those shitty tuners are legit at least. Might as well be no name tuners. Literally the worst thing about my flying v. Probably a refinished faded can't understand why someone would willingly put those tuners on something that didn't come with them.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Green tuner keys on deluxe tuners, dot inlays with no binding and overall control/hardware layout with that shape of guard lead me to think it's a faded V as stated above. The Made in USA stamp seems to be in the right spot but to cover that serial it must have been really shallow. That throws me off. If the origin stamp is visible then why not the serial? I find that sketchy. And I don't like the grey color on the body. I'd pass.

Mot90DaD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 for refinish

BTW really love the color - fits well with the white pickguard and the vintage tuners!

The Flying V is not a typical model that is so often imitated.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
but to cover that serial it must have been really shallow.
My natural 2016 special edition has like a really shallow serial (vertically aligned in the middle of the back of the headstock) and it just has a natural finish with no paint. I can entirely believe a refinish could hide it. Here's a pic of my Flying V, most everything is unreadable in a picture and it's a legit one (bought new on Thomann). You can get the details IRL but it requires lighting.
As a side note, it's a killer guitar and I've never been subject to the stuff people write on the internet about the brand. (Yes, the tuners are shit, though. Thinking about replacing them cause I'm tired of that G string.)

Attachments

• 1660412149169.jpg
    1660412149169.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got one of these somewhere , it looks just like yours but in white. I found mine to be a fake and fixed the usual shit up.
Who knows ?