Is this Custom Shop RR worth it?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by bassplayer8, Feb 14, 2020.

1. bassplayer8

bassplayer8 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I'm, about to pick up a 2001 RR1 custom shop with a quilt trans blue top and matching headstock with gold hardware. It comes with the hardcase but not COA/other goodies. I may be able to grab it for 2300 cad (1700 usd) and its in great condition other than some worn saddles on the bridges and the laminate on the headstock peeling under the logo.

I've never really owned a guitar this expensive and while its amazing I do wanna get it in part cause of the price. Is this a good deal or along the prices of used Jackson custom shop pieces up in Canada.

pics; https://imgur.com/a/57RQ9MK

2. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I'd say it's an OK deal , a pretty good one if you were specifically looking for something with those specs (I for one have always loved those RR with that type of string-through). But you're not going to be able to flip it for twice the price if that's your question.

The headstock stuff is typical, the hardware is an easy fix, the paperwork could easily have been lost, that does deflate the price a bit...
    If it were a recent 2019/2020 one looking brand new without COA, I might have been just a tad concerned about being one of those Chinese counterfeits...less so if the guitar shows the typical wear for that age and period.

The lowest I've ever seen in my limited experience for used Jackson CS (and my reference is the USA, not CA) of that sort was probably around 1500$, but that was with some dings and already a few years ago.

3. bassplayer8

bassplayer8 SS.org Regular

Definitely not looking to flip it for a profit -I've always wanted a rhoads hard tail but moreso as I tend to move gear around I wanted to make sure its a piece I can at least come close to breaking even on in the future. Especially as this is a big buy for me I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting the short end of the stick. Def gonna update the thread with more photos once its home!

4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Well if it feels solid when you try it, then it's definitely not going to be a total loss the day you want to move on to something else. It's not the most collectible guitar ever, but it's certainly an attractive set of specs and I bet there'll always be buyers for a CS RR in the foreseeable future.

That said, maybe wait for a couple more opinions than just mine before buying :lol: ...
    And hopefully it's something you can try in person and make sure it feels solid and to your taste before committing- especially if that's a first big buy for you.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I think it's a pretty decent price for some not super common options. You can get plain black ones in the $1200 range here in the U.S. pretty easily, but a figured top and no pickguard aren't like SUPER common Rhoads features, so it's more unique than your average one. I'd probably try to negotiate down a couple hundred, but if you like the specs, I don't think it's a bad price.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's a tough one.

Jackson was in a rough spot at that time, being a step away from bankruptcy and just before Fender acquired them (mid 2002).

I've played a handful of guitars from that period and they run the gamut from absolutely amazing to kinda stinkers.

That said, it looks solid from the pictures. Some wear and tear, but some TLC will get it looking really good. Price seems good too, especially for that spec. I'd jump on it. Worse case scenario you can most definitely flip it for what you paid, maybe more once cleaned up.

7. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i sold my rr1 a few years back and started to miss it because it was a great guitar. i started and am still looking for a suitable replacement.

funny enough i looked at this one but ultimately decided to pass on it because the issue with the headstock logo would have bugged me too much. i think i may have even started a thread to see what/how much it would take to repair it.

i think it was priced higher back then i can't remember, but maybe the price was dropped because it isn't perfect.