Is this a dumb trade? (Korean Ibby)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I have a Epiphone LPC in silverburst with a Lace sensor matt pike hesher in the bridge. I looked up the serial and apparently its Chinese from '09. I don't usually play it because I don't like they way it feels to play an LP past the 12th fret, which I need to do often for my music.

Now, Epi LPCs are a dime a dozen on craigslist. But silverburst ones I'm sure are more sought after, and usually they don't have a badass aftermarket pup in there.

[​IMG]

^that's a Korean Ibanez (which I didn't even know was a thing. I thought they went straight from Japan to Indonesia). On reverb, they sell for CHEAP. I saw one going for 300, and one going for only 139$ (though maybe that one is beat up?).

Either way, I don't judge purely on country of origin or original retail price, so I was wondering if any of you have ever had a Korean Ibanez--are they a good quality guitar? My Epi might be chinese but I still think it's a quality product. But I definitely would NOT say the same thing about an Indonesian Ibanez. So where do the old Koreans weigh in? Of course I'm going to go and try it myself before I trade, but I am still curious what SSO has to say--would it perhaps not even be worth my time to test because the old Korean Ibbies are pieces of junk?

The big reason I'm interested in these is because I've seen that the strap button is right behind the neck joint, which I've determined is the optimal position for me.

I also think it's interesting that even though this is an Ibanez Destroyer, it's not actually the exact same shape as other destroyers. It reminds me a little of that Obscura guy's signature RAN or something

inb4 take out the pike pup and then trade it. I already suggested that and the guy said no to the trade lol. Also I don't know how to install/remove pickups (and I don't have a sauteing iron)

update: just looked up the serial and it's World Music factory. Isn't that the good one?

2. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Honestly I'd keep the Epiphone. Don't get me wrong there are some dope Korean Ibbys out there but I wouldn't do the trade.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^just to clarify, you're saying that in your experience the quality of an Epi LPC is pretty much usually better than Korean Ibbies? Or you're saying you just personally like the LP better than the destroyer

4. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

The only Korean Ibanez guitars I've played are prestige models and they were awesome, that said this isn't a prestige, and doesn't have a great resale.

The only Epiphone Les Paul I've played was in fact silverburst, and it was an awesome guitar. Resale should be decent, and it already has upgraded pups.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Hm, ok, thanks!

6. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Seems to be an Ibby DTX-120 from 2000/2001 with a different truss rod cover. They're Mini-Destroyers haha, so that's why the shape is different. It's a lot lighter then the original.

Ibanez Destroyer Information Exchange by TheDestroyerGuy - Model DTX-120

They have pretty good reviews: User Reviews for Ibanez DTX120 at Harmony Central

Personally I love Destroyers but I've only played the MIJ 80s ones. The epiphone might hold a better resale value though. Maybe just go to test it out and if you like it buy it and sell the epiphone?

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I would keep the LP also, and I dont like LPs :lol:

I remember that mini destroyer, and there was also a mini iceman in the same series. The guy from System of a Down endorsed it for while. I remember playing the iceman when it was in the store new, and it was not very good. They were trying to blow them out at like $200 or something, and they still couldnt sell them.

As far as country.... there are some awesome MIK Ibanez guitars out there. The original RG470 was not bad, and was top of the line before you got to the MIJ RG550/570. However, these guitars were not it. They were a cheap beginner series to begin with. I would trade for a real destroyer or iceman, but not the mini beginner version.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Haha! Thanks for that link!

I have an old rare Ibanez bass. I bought it new back then, but it was mismarked, and I was never sure what it was. I just found it on this website! lol. SR640TI :shred:

Ibanez Catalogs

9. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

If you don't play the Epi, see if you can get some cash with the Ibby to even things out.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I tried asking for $100 to make it fair and the guy said no. Meh, what can you do.

11. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Those mini icemen/destroyers etc have always seemed like red-headed step children to me, i'd probably avoid. I also find the older korean quality is a bit overrated, frets etc are normally better on the modern mass produced guitars (PRS SE, indo Ibanez) i've seen vs the older koreans i've had - e.g. my iceman (had frets totally redone) and an RG.

12. Lain

Lain SS.org Regular

I wouldn't trade anything for a korean Ibanez.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I haven't played either or know the quality of Korean Ibby's but it seems that the guy trading is quite unreasonable. You can always try it and see if you like it but your best bet would be to buy this and sell the Epi. Like so you'll get some cash from the Epi and not get shafted.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Thanks guys for helping figure that one out. I ended up not trading the guy. Also, as Edika said, he wasn't very nice and I frankly just didn't want to meet him.

Right now I've got a new trade on the table, a Washburn Culprit (dimebag sig). The only ones I can find online right now are selling in the thousands... This must be some import version? But I can't find any info on import culprits anywhere online. Either way I am pretty stoked because this is another guitar shape that seems like will balance right for me since the button is behind the neck joint.

Anyone ever play the Washburn Culprit? Whatcha think about those?

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

They felt pretty similar to the standard Washburn Dime 333. They didnt make them very long. I think I only ever saw 1 of them....