Is there a major difference between low to high Ibanez bodies?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by SonicBlur, Jul 31, 2015.

1. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

I have been heavily thinking about piecing together my own 7 string "Ibanez" with various parts to make my own. I have been finding basswood bodies some come from RG7620's, to Premium models, through Prestige models. Are these all the same with the neck being the game changer? Hardware, necknand pickups are irrelevant because I'll be buying what suits me best.

2. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Not all the trees even of the same species are the same, not every tree is aged and seasoned in the same way and not every cut is the same.
    That consideration alone should answer your question.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The various necks and bodies are not a direct swap. The Japanese bodies and necks seem to have the same bolt-hole pattern but the width of the neck pocket has gotten wider over time. The Indonesian stuff has a slightly different bolt-hole pattern and the neck-pocket width is slightly different too. I don't know about the Premium stuff, but it could be diffrent as well.

And of course if you're buying a body routes for a trem, there are several different trem routes (Lo Pro 7 is too big for an Edge Pro 7 route, Edge Zero post spacing is different from any other trem, etc).

You can swap any of the stuff with a bit of work, but to direct swap, you need to match the neck and preferred trem with the right type/era of body.

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

In my teens, I would buy and assemble RGs from disparate eBay listings, a piece at a time, because it was all I could afford. All the problems mentioned by cardinal come up - But that's all part of the learning experience.

5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I have to say it's great fun pulling apart and putting together guitars. In the end, they're just pieces of wood screwed and glued together and they're not particularly fragile. So you can hack at them and it'll pretty much be OK. EVH, for example, was a real trend setter, but he kinda didn't know what he was doing and his guitars were the way they were because that's what he could manage to cobble together. It obviously worked out OK.

6. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

Some great advice, thanks guys. Looks like I may have to be a little cautious when I go about this. I just want to build my own RG the way like. Really appreciate your time, guys!