Is there a 7 string bridge pickup that's good for shredding with no clean tone quack?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Benzene, May 7, 2021.

1. Benzene

Benzene SS.org Regular

I hate the quack sound. I have a Kiesel Delos 7 with a passive Beryllium Neck and Bridge. I Like the PAF qualities of the Beryllium Neck and the bass response of it isn't too heavy so it can stay for now.

The bridge has some quack to it and I don't know if it's something in the controls that can be changed to eliminate the quack; and by the I mean something like a capacitor. But if I wanted to do more leads in the bridge position, which I currently don't do, would a Seymour Duncan Full Shred or a Dimarzio PAF do this for me? No price restrictions are to be had on this... let's spend my tax returns on some gear!!!

2. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I'm only in here to learn what you mean by "quack" as that's not a term I've heard used to describe a pick up.

3. Benzene

Benzene SS.org Regular

I'm referring to that Stratocaster quack sound. Some pickups have it more in the neck than the bridge.

4. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Ah ok. I've never heard the berylliums have that issue before. Usually I find them to be very warm and full sounding even in the bridge. It's the lithiums that really sound quacky to me. But yeah based on what you said I'd say the Dimarzio would be better suited to the task.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

get a cheap 10 band eq like the caline 10 band and play with the 500-2khz range. I forgot exactly where that "quack" (might be sub 1khz idk) is but that's the general midrange frequency range for most guitars. That will let you fine tune the sound of the pickup before it hits the amp. If you really want a pickup then look for something with a slightly scooped midrange like a Duncan Custom 5.

Matt08642 likes this.
  6. Benzene

Benzene SS.org Regular

So the scoop midrange adjustment is what eliminates the quack and could be the reason why most guitar players do this? I was unaware of this.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Yeah scooping the mids on an amp or an eq can help mitigate the quack, though it's all largely dependent on rig setup and overall preference tbh. Some amps are very mid forward (mesa marks and a lot of marshalls) and then they get paired with mid heavy speakers (v30s or g12t75s) so having a pickup with even more mids doesn't really help the situation. Some guys like shitloads of mids though since they let them slice through the mix of a band. Plus the guitar is always going to be a midrange heavy instrument in the context of recordings/mixes.

8. Benzene

Benzene SS.org Regular

Thank you for the explanation. The next time I look for a pickup I'll ensure the mids are lower than the bass or treble and that should help out.