Is the LTD SC-608B " a dead plank tonally "

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by LaPerraLoca, Jun 13, 2012.

1. LaPerraLoca

LaPerraLoca Well-Known Member

I been seeing this on a couple of threads around here:

I have payd like 30% of the guitar, and it gets here like in 3 months, so im asking if this is a good guitar, because i want a 8th.

but if it sucks, i dont want to spend so much on it.

eveyone in the past sayd it was a great guitar, but eventually they sold them and went agiles and everything else in between, but i know theres some seripus GAS around here.. so..

im confused.

The only brands aviable here are: ESP, Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Jackson, and Dean.

So, any HONEST good or bad words about this baby?

2. naavanka_

naavanka_ SS.org Regular

It depends so much on the wood that the body is made of.
    It varies so much, it is really hard to tell.

My ESP F7 sanskrit was dead as a rock.
    You should always try the guitar before paying anything!

3. McBonez

McBonez Banned

Any of the ones I've played (let's say 607) have sounded great.

Why it would sound like a "dead plank" when it's built so similarly to a couple other ESP guitars is beyond me.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Gotta remember that there's always duds when it comes to mass production models. You may get a gem, you may get a dud, or you may get one that's in between.

...Captain Obvious, out! :lol:

5. ziggystarpuff

ziggystarpuff Well-Known Member

I do not own one but I have a friend with 2 sc7's and and a 8 and they sound like garbage, the carves on the back are amazing but the pups suck to my ears and even after I did a fret job and setup it sounded better acoustically but still was a clunker, I also hated the neck carve and the middle pup didn't bother my picking but sounded no different than the bridge even after a pup swap to blackouts. just my 2 cents, I'm sure someone got a good'n though... to each his own but I wouldnt buy one for a 100 bucks.

6. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

The one I played definitely was, sorry but are you referring to the one with the 25 inch scale ?

The 8th string was floppy as balls and barely even produced a note other than an actually 'flub' sound, it could be a good guitar to experiment with adding an extra high string though.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I don't know about the SC-608, but I own two FM-408s and one FM-418, all at 25.5".

I don't have a problem with any of them.

I've heard of, and have now met, lots of people who never understood that you have to have a low string with sufficient tension to match the other strings. It's amazing how many folks would assume that you can use a .009 string for their B string *and* their E string, or who try to do the same at the low end.

Water, fire, air and dirt
    F-'ing string tension, how does it work?
    Miracles!

[​IMG]

Or, in other words... my guitars and the String Tension Mega Thread, magic everywhere in those bitches!

8. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Could have just been a shitty piece of wood.

9. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

What exactly causes a piece of wood to be shitty? I have a hard time believing its the wood so long as it's not plywood, especially seeing as how many variables that seem to be a lot more important to tone. Pickups, pots, caps, cables, amps, speakers, fingers, etc.

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Wood thats not properly dried? Multiple pieces poorly glued together, etc...

I agree with you but if someone does a seriously shitty job treating wood beforehand it can make a huge difference.

11. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

Aside from the obvious tension problem the rest of the guitar just sounded lifeless and barely had any resonance, the owner was kind of an idiot though it could have very well been a dud as he said it wouldn't even stay in tune in the store but he bought it anyway :lol:

He also made a remark about how he's mastered chugging on the 8th string and now just needs to find out how to incorporate the other seven so I don't know maybe irrelevant but take that however you want :lol:.

And thanks Explorer I had forgotten about the atrocity that is ICP until now :lol:

12. LaPerraLoca

Nope, thats the 208, the cheaper model, im talking about the 608b ( baritone )
    it has the same specs of the ESP STEF8, only real diferences are the country of production.

13. LaPerraLoca

i've heard a lot from this forum, that really wood doesnt matter that much, (tone wise )when you are using, high gain, and active pups... thats why theres a lof of EMG Active-haters out there

14. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Here's a true story: I had a 7 string kelly that sounded fucking awesome w/ stock pups. I got the bright idea to put a kahler on it and when I routed the wood I found it to be rotten and spongy. That's right, I was playing on a rotten spongly plank that sounded badass.

I'm just going to put this out there: I sincerely believe the amount of guitars that sound shitty-no-matter-what to be infinitesimally small.

15. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

I think you have slightly misinterpreted what the forum often says.

When people say that the wood doesn't matter much tone wise they mean that as long as a specific piece of wood has been correctly treated and is in fact a piece of lumber suitable for a guitar to begin with, whether it's mahogany or alder or basswood won't make as big a difference as you'd expect. If you have a crappy board to begin with, it'll suck one way or the other as well.

Also, I like how this entire thread is based on a single quote from MaxOfMetal. It would seem as if his is the word of god at this point. :lol:

(No disrespect, Max.)

16. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Some others got duds as well, be it in the SC range or others in the ESP line. Conversely, quite a few got perfectly fine axes and some rather stellar ones.

Thing boils down to, as said above, the quality of the woods, glueing, etc.. There really isn't going to be an extensive tap test here, not to mention the "mahogany" in budget to mid range axes isn't exactly African or Honduran mahogany, but rather a widely available and far cheaper Asian tree from the same family - this in itself doesn't make it sound bad, mind you.

17. Augminished

Augminished Augminished Studio

Mine has issues too. I have been trying different pups in it I am now pretty sure its just a dead piece of wood. I feel like there is just no tone and when played acoustically it is really quiet. The 8th string is just muds ville.

I only have had one other guitar that was like this. It was a hellraiser but somehow that was not quite as dead sounding. Maybe because it was a 6 string? Not sure how that works but whatever.

On another note, is this something you disclose if you try and sell a guitar? I would think so because it seems wrong to me to sell a guitar with something wrong with it, like this, and not tell the buyer. How much does it hurt the value?

18. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

Have to say I played one and thought it was pretty thundering. Didn't sound like a "plank" to me at all.

19. LaPerraLoca

So after diggin every thread about this guitar, I just sayd "Fuck it, ppl who hate this guitar, must be strat only users or something a like" and ordered...

A couple of minutes ago, ive got a call and the guitar just arrived today, i will picking her up tonight!

I will post later a NGD and a review later on.

I hope is not "Dead"...
    I have more and less a good rig ( may be it just decent ), and every guitar sounds good through it. and i have like 7 guitars to compare it to.

So wish me luck!
    :D

Alan.

20. McBonez

McBonez Banned

Like I said, man -

There's nothing in the SC series of guitars that would make them any less tonally desirable than any other ESP/LTD.

I think you're in the clear!