Is the Line 6 Pocket Pod still good?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by angl2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Hi,

I need a decent practice setup with headphones for late night playing and the Pocket Pod seems like a good option.

Then I noticed it was first released back in 2007. I was wondering if the Pocket Pod modeling is still up to par with modern day amp modeling?

With the Spider V just released I wonder if I should save up and buy the 30 watter instead.

2. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Does a pod 500hd have a headphone out? Surely they are just as cheap as a new spider v

3. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Not sure if the hd 500 has headphone but it cost 400 euro here vs the 100 euro for a Pocket Pod. A Spider 5 30 watt is 200.

4. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Definitely stay away from the Spider V. Even the Pocket POD will sound better than that thing. I'd go for a used HD500, you could get one for not much more than the Spider V.

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Line 6 Pocket POD was never good in my opinion. It's using, to my knowledge, the earliest and lowest end Line 6 modelling, even from its time. By today's terms it's probably best classified as a 'toy'. I wouldn't pay for such antiquated technology, unless I were paying $10-20 for it (in your position). I am sure you could find used POD HD's for a decent price. In all honesty, the Spider uses the same modelling tech as the Pocket POD; save for maybe a few tweaks.

6. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

i bought a pocket pod for the same reason years ago. but i never felt comfortable playing it

7. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I had a friend that used one as his back up rig and I actually changed presets sitting at the side of the stage for him once (he had them all organized for the set) It sounded perfectly fine for what he was doing (backing band for a small solo female pop/rock artist), his normal rig sounded better but I was probably the only one who noticed.

Ive actually never thought they sounded amazing or anything but perfectly usable. However if you have a iphone or newer android look into the Irig interface and app (or maybe Bias? Though I have no experience) they sound far superior to the pocket pod.

8. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I tried Bias and the latency was just too high for me to play comfortably. Or do hardware modelers have latency issues also?

9. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

If the only goal is to play quiet (assuming you have other gear for "regular playing" purposes), I'd suggest not to spend any money and trying to get away with software-based stuff, so free VSTs.

10. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

I think the latency may be due to your interface+computer/mobile device setup. Hardware modelers that have dedicated processing shouldn't have that much latency. I have an Eleven Rack and I don't notice latency, but using VST amp sims, I get more latency.

EDIT: I just checked with VST amp sims through the Eleven Rack and they worked fine. There was barely any latency but dynamics just weren't great.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Bear in mind that with any sw processing, you're probably going to have a ton of latency with the default configuration.

My interface has the input buffer set very high by default, introducing latency (good for recording - bad for monitoring). To fix this, turn down the input buffer time as far as it will go without stuttering.

Tl;Dr latency is probably fixable

12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Dont buy a Pocket Pod... its just waisting money nowadays.... and for 100 bucks that is really a rip off... I wouldn't get one unless it was 10 euros or something and even then...

A friend of mine showed me this yesterday and Im super tempted to get one. A work colleague ordered one and Im going to have a go with it when he gets it.

For less than 200 euros/dollars I think right now theres nothing close to it:

About VST Latency... I use only VSTs in Reaper (Thermionik Amps) and I have no perceived latency at all, if you do its your Audio Interface. Get a proper one and there will be no more issues. I have the Scarlet Solo (1st Edition)

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I opted for a used Kong Pandora when I wanted a portable little practice setup

14. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Hmm I use a Steinberg UR44 with reaper so the latency should be lower I suppose. Reducing the buffer size might help then?

15. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I have mine usually at 256 but I just changed to the settings shown and theres no Cracks and Pops.

[​IMG]

I basically use Reaper as a VST loader and I have all my purchased Thermionik VSTs always loaded and use the one I feel more inclined at a certain point.

Not to mention the normal Tuner-Gate-OD--Amp and then the IR loader (Recabinet with two IRS)-Delay-Reverb-Chorus and EQ

16. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

It wasn't up to par to begin with. Trust me, I've owned one since 2007. I'd say, just buy an audio interface and use free amp and cab impulses. There's ton of them available around the internet and they sound way better than the Poop Pod.

17. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I started with a Pocket POD for headphone jamming back in 2009, but nowadays I use BIAS FX on iPad instead. The desktop version is also nice, but not as handy as an iPad. My iPad interface is the IK iRig Pro.

18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Just throwing it out there because not a lot of folks seem to use them, but I love my Atomic Amplifire

[​IMG]

What gives it a leg up on the Pod 500HD is that it uses the... uh.. what's it called... IR... some kind of thing that makes it sound like it's being played through a real cab. Apparently Pod 500HD's doesn't have that.

It's also just a pedal, so it's really portable. I think it sounds like real ass Fender amps. I mostly use the Friedman.

It's annoying to edit stuff on the pedal itself, but you can plug it into a computer and do it all there.

It's nice to be able to stomp the boost or echo instead of pressing a button.

19. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Do you want to use the gear you'll purchase for shows as well ?

If so, then I suggest buying a used POD HD500(X) or something similar.

If not, then why not buy an audio interface (e.g. POD Studio GX or Steinberg UR22MKII) ?

POD Studio GX is about 100$US and comes with PodFarm 2.5. Sidenote: there's a compatibility issue between the GX and BiasFX.

Personally, since I don't do shows anymore and mainly practice/record at home, I use a Steinberg UR22MKII (<200$US) with BiasFX and PodFarm 2.5 (and record in Reaper).

This may very well be an issue that is independent of BiasFX (audio interface, computer OS or computer). For example, I've encountered interface problems using the POD studio GX with BiasFX that were solely due to the GX' drivers.

20. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

It sounds nice but it's too expensive just for late night playing. I got my normal rig for playing during the day/early evening.

Hmm since you have a Steinberg interface too I'm gonna re-check my settings then. I tried Bias and gonna try Thermionik next.