Is the hype for custom shop guitars fading?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Velokki, Oct 19, 2019.

1. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

That's every major city in the U.S.

I just listened to a documentary with a property broker.
    She was taking the doc. maker around Seattle talking about the values...now, and just as little as a year ago. Some properties have increased 4-500% in a couple of years.

You could invest $600k when a development is in the planning stages...then about 2/3 the way to being complete, you could sell for as much a $2+ million!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

that sounds pretty great though?

3. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

A friend of mine working in London told me a lot of people don't make enough to live in a decent neighborhood in London, so they have to commute from far out of town with expensive train fees and companies there typically don't cover transportation costs.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Try buying a house.

It's completely artificially inflated by speculation.
    The bubbles like these usually pop every 4-7 years.
    We're LONG over due...it's gonna be a bad one.

Thaeon likes this.
  5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Yeah gentrification and AirBnB have made most major city centers unaffordable for anyone who isn't already a multimillionaire. Canada's real estate market is especially bonkers- here in Nova Scotia we're actually LOSING population, yet people keep building luxury high-rise condominiums that no one can afford.

Masoo2, XPT707FX, budda and 1 other person like this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That pretty much describes just about every large city in the United States as well.

With the addition that our public transit infrastructure is basically nonexistent outside the absolute biggest cities. So not only do you need to live farther away, you have to purchase and maintain a car.

Masoo2 and wakjob like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

I mean as long as you're buying when the prices are going up. and then selling
    or
    and holding stead while they are going down.

it still sounds pretty great?

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Australia and Canada are about to have their own housing market crash soon.

9. MaxOfMetal

It's a good scenario if you're casually looking for an investment property, a bad scenario if you're a first time home buyer looking to break out of the rental cycle.

ThatBeardGuy, XPT707FX and budda like this.
  10. diagrammatiks

Kind of. That implies that you can't choose when to stop renting.

Even with wakjobs scenario. If you're making your first purchase now after purchases have increased 500% that's super bad.

If you made your first purchase a few years ago at 600k you did really good.

If you can save money and buy something after the market crashes that's super good too.

Of course that barrier to initial entry at 600k is really high. But that's a different problem.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

That's not an impossible scenario as rents skyrocket in certain areas and properties change management or go through "renovations".

Thaeon likes this.
  12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Absolutely, the London commuter belt is famous for overpriced housing. A lot of people in more skilled jobs put up with the commute for a long while knowing that when they sell their commuter belt property, they’ll either have a massive house outside of commuting distance, or the same sized house, a nice pension pot and not have to go into the city anymore... The thing that the U.K. has going for it here that larger countries don’t is that it’s so small geographically. Which means relocation is cheap and easy. Even if you’re in an unskilled job, if you’re catching the train into London every day and are affording that, then typically you can afford to relocate to a more affordable city.

Too many people choose to live near and commute into London when they would be financially better off in the same situation with one of our other major cities, Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds.

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, one of the major factors here (I live in Versailles, not far from the castle, and own 3 flats in Paris) is that it's all well and good to go find a job elsewhere except, your family and friends won't follow you.
    I choose to rent a small place near work to avoid commuting, rather than live in one of my places. I'm done with losing 2hours of my life a day doing that. It allows me to not have a car, too, which is a significant saving.
    Going to a provincial town has little appeal, I have no friends there and their football teams suck. As a born and bred parisian I find those a little too provincial for my tastes.

As a side note, it's a mistake to see real estate as a market. Each good is individual and can have its own value.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

About to? It's already started haha. There's been a slight increase in property value in the last month however the trend is definitely down. You're going to see an insanely highly levl of retrenchment soon. It's the whole reason I haven't purchased a house in the last couple of years because this was seen a mile away - doesn't matter how low interest rates are if wages aren't growing at all. I'm lucky to work in a public sector job with a good Enterprise Agreement that has mandated wage rises in it as well as performance rises however most of the country is still on the same money as 10 years ago while inflation has been chugging along.

wakjob likes this.
  15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

^
    Ah...good to see other people paying attention.

16. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

It seems to be going in the opposite direction imho. A bunch of little guitar companies have appeared. Plus every major company has a custom shop.

17. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Lets put it this way as far as housing in the US in concerned. I make nearly double the national average individual salary in the US (not household). After taxes, rent, standard bills, gas, insurance, and food, I paid more than I made. Rent will go up more than inflation every year (around 10%). Inflation will be around 5-6%. The average annual raise in the US is around 4%. Its an unsustainable system.

18. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

As far as custom guitars? I see new shops and new designs popping up all the time. Lots of competition. Which makes for a solid market of good products at competitive prices.