Is the Fender Duo Sonic a decent short scale guitar?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 7stringstohangyouwith, Sep 15, 2019.

1. 7stringstohangyouwith

7stringstohangyouwith SS.org Regular

It's $500. Am I better off with an Ibanez mikro or a Mitchell MM100?

2. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

I've tried a few. They can be kinda hit or miss QC-wise. Test one out if you can. Fun guitars nevertheless, I've been wanting to buy one myself as a modding platform for a while.

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

That's kinda good advice for this price range, for any guitar. The lower you go, the less money is spent on QC. It doesn't mean that all are bad, but the ratio of bad:good is higher.

7stringstohangyouwith likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I find the Ibanez Micro's and Jackson Minion's (etc.) to be good for little kids but often tend to be a little too short otherwise.

The Fender Duo Sonic's are short scale, but not deathly short, so they tend to be more 'versatile' or 'traditional' in that sense. Now the Duo Sonic's have single coils which may hamper versatility for high gain applications etc.

The Fender's are more likely to be better quality instruments, but they are also about double the price of your Ibanez or Jackson counterparts.

At the end of the day it's about what you want from a short scale guitar and the amount of money you want to put into it.

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I acquired a DS that came to me for free in REALLY bad shape. They're easy guitars to work on and they're fun to play if you don't mind the short scale. I was quite surprised at the abuse and neglect that my DS had gone thru previous to me. Since I basically did a complete ground-up restoration on mine, I'm more than happy to try to answer any more specific questions if you need.

Just because... before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Masoo2, couverdure, Kaura and 2 others like this.
  6. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

They do offer them with HS-config too. ;)

Personally I prefer the the DiMarzio Fast Tracks I have in my Mustang compared to the stock humbucker in my strat but the humbucker is ceramic and kinda cheap (I assume) so that' a given.

My point is that single-coil sized pickups can do hi-gain tones well but then on the other hand, if OP is looking for a budget guitar, throwing another hundred bucks or so for aftermarket pickups is probably not the best solution.

7. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Better have an Ibanez PGMM31, those are really nice

8. 7stringstohangyouwith

7stringstohangyouwith SS.org Regular

I think it's just a mikro and they simply slapped a Paul Gilbert endorser onto it. I already have a mikro.

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I really dig the Duo-Sonics! They're really fun guitars. I also like that the true vintage variants can be had for less than $1500.