Is something wrong with my 2x12?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by cosmorenfro, Jul 17, 2021.

1. cosmorenfro

cosmorenfro SS.org Regular

my Vader 2x12 has to 8 ohm jacks. when i plug into the left jack, my guitar is slightly louder than when i plug into the right jack. sound is coming through both speakers always. does anyone know what would cause this / possible solution? thank you!

2. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Uhh on most cabs with 2 jacks one is for parallel and one is for series? What does the Vader manual say?

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

iirc the Vaders have a 2nd jack intended for daisychaining cabs in parallel, so one of them is the input and one output. I'm not sure why plugging into the output would come out quieter though (if indeed that's what way round they are)

4. cosmorenfro

cosmorenfro SS.org Regular

so i know nothing about speaker connections so i proceeded with extreme caution. upon unscrewing the jack plate, one of the connections looked a little crooked/not fully connected. i pushed it in all the way and now everything sounds fine. very odd.

5. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

For my future information - Is there any reason why the parallel jack might cause problems?

Perhaps naively, it seems to me that an externally driven cab doesn't have anything complicated in how it's wired. If there are no other inputs/outputs then the circuit made by plugging into the parallel output would be the same as if you plugged into the primary input, wouldn't it?

6. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

If it anything like the multi jack on my 2x12, you can run it at 16 ohms mono out of one jack, 4ohms out of another, or 8 ohms thru either speaker.

If your cab has 2 different speakers, their relative sensitivity can make a huge difference in volume.
    One could be 90db and the other 93. That is twice as loud. When mixed together, they balance out better