Is Reverb a safe platform?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by rippedflesh89, Sep 3, 2020.

Is it safe to purchase guitars on reverb.com?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

Is reverb.com a safe place to purchase guitars? I've seen some sellers on there with no feedback, is that sketchy or does reverb have my back if I don't the receive the item I paid for?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

yes. reverb has very good buyer protections.
    I've been buying and selling on there for 5 years.

USMarine75, Mboogie7 and odibrom like this.
  3. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I have had two disputes where the seller purposely hid problems with a guitar. Reverb backed me up and return/reimbursement was without problems.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've never had a major problem, but when needed they've been helpful. Much better than eBay ever was.

Obviously if something is super sketch stay away and use your best judgement, but it's probably the overall best gear buying/selling platform at the moment.

5. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

You can actually message Reverb and get a real person on the other end, show them the listing and ask them about any concerns you have and they'll tell you what is and isn't covered. Very helpful.

USMarine75, JimF and odibrom like this.
  6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I had a seller lose something in the mail that I purchased. The seller was slow in responding, I contacted Reverb, they credited me back and found me a listing for the same item within one business day.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Bought and sold over about 4 years. No issues lots of buyer protections. Just be sure there’s plenty of pictures of the actual gear you’re buying and not stock photos if it’s from an individual. Good descriptions of condition with photos also a great sign.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've been buying and selling on Reverb for about 5 years with no major problems. Great customer support and buyer protections, and any issues are usually fixed quickly. I ship everything I sell with insurance through USPS just in case too.

If you're selling, just be honest and thorough in your description and select the "sell as-is" option to avoid "buyers" who will abuse the default return policy and treat you like a Guitar Center. If you're buying, just use your best judgment and save all of your order and payment confirmation emails in case of any issues.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Reverb has been my preferred platform for a number of years. Thankfully I've never had an issue with a buyer or seller. When I sell, I try my best to be a good communicator and send photos of how I packaged the guitar.

I sold my last guitar through them right before the increased the fees. I don't really have anything else to sell at this point, but I do like the platform a lot.

Randy mentioned this as well, and it cannot be overstated: the customer service is fantastic. If you need to get in touch with someone, you can. And they are actually helpful.

10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

safe but prices have gone up too much

as a buyer I'd much rather use paypal invoice and pay less with no taxes, still get good protection

c7spheres likes this.
  11. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

Wow, that's an overwhelming number of yes'. Thanks everyone for making me feel a lot comfortable purchasing off of reverb.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. Annonnymous

Annonnymous SS.org Regular

I have a friend who purchases things through Reverb and has no problems.
    With these prices tho I'd buy new. Unless it's a very rare item.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You can still make offers.

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Reverb is great in terms of protection. I typically do reverb/PayPal/credit card. That gives me 3 layers of protection if anything goes sideways. But, as others have pointed out, people seem to post stuff on there in hopes of duping someone into paying more than they would for a new item. There are plenty of listings of used things at prices higher than new. And very few bargains. If a decently priced item does come up, you have to jump on it, because it will be gone quickly.

15. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Safe, yes. But be ready to overpay for everything. I buy most of my stuff on the local classifieds, but I've been lucky buying and selling "niche" stuff in there.

I play music likes this.
  16. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

That's not entirely true. If you dig around enough its easy to find steals. Case in point, the basically brand new PRS CE24 I just picked up for $1200, the caparison Horus M3 I grabbed for $1700, or the Friedman Runt I bought for $700.

These were all in nearly new, if not actual new condition, and close to 40-50% off list.

The deals are there you've just got to be pretty obsessed with finding them.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wouldn't call market value overpaying.

That's the downside of the platform: the first thing sellers do is search for what they're going to sell and then price accordingly.

Like @TheInvisibleHand said, there are definitely "great deals" to be had, you're just in competition with the internet for them.

Mathemagician and budda like this.
  18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Just talking about my experience. I rarely buy stuff in there since for me it's much cheaper to buy local via Paypal. Non-musician specific markets always give you the best prices.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything.

19. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Bought my first Reverb guitar last week. Planned arrival is on Monday, so I'll tell you more after that ;)

I've lurked on Reverb for years and I agree that prices are often above true market price.

For example, the guitar I just bought was listed at 200$ above market price. I negotiated and got 200$ under market price. I'm talking about a brand new guitar sold by a reputable store.

In other words, know the market price of the item you're buying (obvious advice...).

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

The main problem with Reverb is that it costs nothing to list an item for sale, so people list stuff at ridiculous prices. And I mean used gear higher than new, in many cases. If someone buys it, great. If they don’t, no harm. But that just means there’s a lot of crap to wade through if you’re a buyer searching for something. There are ways to see what the true selling price of similar items is, and that’s a huge help. And the ability to make an offer helps, too. But it’s almost like you have to ignore the prices and just make an offer if you know enough about what others have been selling for.

SpaceDock likes this.