Is Progressive Metal the new Cock Rock?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by amonb, Feb 15, 2017.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's value in both perspectives - music looked at strictly as art doesn't have to conform to any set of rules, but there are plenty of reasons people would want to categorize something once it's been created already (or sometimes before, or as part of the process). There's value in associating with similar styles, value in discoverability, value in creating a specific brand, it can come back around to the whole music-as-identity thing I mentioned before, etc. It's difficult enough to market a product without stripping away identifiers and just saying "either you like it or you don't."

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I think we should stop labeling audible sounds whatsoever. Why we gotta pretend that a car alarm and a Pink Floyd record aren't just both reverberating waves though the air?

3. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I'm pretty much a meathead who likes their metal as stripped back as possible, almost like punk.
    If it ain't catchy in some way, then it ain't worth listening to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Not sure what the purpose of the linked bands were, was there anything new about them?

But yeah, after a 2 year hiatus from SSO I have noticed that the activity seemed to have dropped significantly. I used to come here mainly for the instrument discussions (not so many other places to find 7-strings that I know), and about playing guitars...

...so where did everybody go? :scratch:

5. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Pretty sure Hardcore has been around since the 80's and influencing other genres of music for over 30 years so Im not sure what you're trying to say here :scratch: the mention of the hoodies actually seems to contradict all the other stuff you later say about it being original, because if 'kids' are switching that means its about to become the next feeding consumer frenzy - which conversely means the end of its 'underground' status.

#ironyforsayingthisonaforum

The metal world is a lot bigger than what you've listed as bands you grew up listening too. There is plenty of innovation in a number of different genres of metal that much like hard core have evolved and changed with the times - BM for example is like a small universe of different flavors, Doom, Stoner, sludge and thats just the small corner of metal I bother to pay attention too.

I think your point only stands in relation to what the latest hyped trend is, and thats nothing new man. Trends have been going on since the birth of mass marketed music. And I know thats what OP was getting at, in that Djent was a hyped trend for a while - if what you say is true (the jury is out on that one), Code Orange's take on Hardcore MIGHT be the next one.

I'm not convinced the 'underground' still exists anymore between Youtube, bandcamp and FB and the fact that virtually every small band I've seen in the last 2 years had had an account with regular updates on ALL of these platforms - including the bands that work day jobs. And if the underground does exist then I'm afraid to say its not unique to Hardcore.

So I'm kinda scratching my head as to what your point is.

Maybe they are playing guitars like I'd love to be right now if I was in the same country as my guitars. :D

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Chances are they finished post secondary, got in serious relationships and got day jobs.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Some of us are still here off and on. There's another message board where almost all of the more active legacy members went. After that, a lot of people were permabanned for one reason or another, so you won't see them here any more.

8. amonb

amonb Les Paul Fever Contributor

It's funny, I like ss.org more now than when the legacy guys were in charge...

But anyway, back on topic...

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

But if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around, how are we going to sub-categorise it and bicker how it sounded more brootulz over another stupid tree when it hit the ground?

10. bostjan

I was never in charge of anything. If I had been, the site would have likely fallen over and caught fire without any reasonable explanation.

[​IMG]

If a tree falls in the woods, it's "Rottencore." If no one is around to hear it, it's "TRVE KULT Rottencore."

11. Microtonalist

Microtonalist SS.org Regular

That post was only there as a response to the 'progression is dead' attitude :wavey:

Oh, and one of the points I was trying to make (probably badly) is that progressively minded musicians and composers are still out there, busy doing their thing, it's just that they have an audience of about 10 people worldwide

It's the popular music movements that have stopped progressing, not music itself

I think this thread is demonstrating how most people think of music as entertainment rather than art, even if they say otherwise
    If music is art then it doesn't necessarily have to be melodic, danceworthy, catchy or anything of the sort, however if it's simply entertainment then all of those things apply.

That's fine, by the way, I don't care what anybody else listens to, like I said, and while I would like to see more widespread exploration of the far reaches of music (microtonality is only one of them) I know that's not going to happen, and if every time I pull a guitar out, everybody goes cross eyed and runs for their lives I would consider that an honour :fawk:

Wasn't going to mention it but since I am here writing another post, my reference to the 60s as the last time progression was cool wasn't suggesting that music last progressed in the 60s (should be clear by now anyway) or even that it was the last time popular music was progressive, what I was talking about is the direct links World Music, the cutting edge visual arts scene and the avant garde classic scene had with some of the most popular acts of the time

Still arguable (David Bowie was aware of Steve Reich after all) but at least you now know what I meant

12. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

If music isnt melodic, danceworthy or catchy, or evoke some kind of emotion, than it is not art. And that goes for other forms of art such as painting.

You ever see that elephant "artist" that applied paint to a canvas because someone taught it how to hold a paintbrush and apply the paint? Thats not art. Likewise, If you teach an elephant how to strum a guitar using its trunk, than thats not art either. Nor is it music.

So i would just say yes, music does necessarily have to be "danceworthy, melodic, catchy or anything of the sort".

13. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

This is how I feel about shreddy music or technical music for the sake of being technical.
    Like, cool. Your playing technique is good. But it's so much more of what you play and how you play it.
    I'd rather listen to Mac Demarco than shred all day every day.

14. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

I used to actively participate a lot more in these kind of discussions but after a while it gets REALLY stale when you notice the same topics are argued again and again every few months. Different thread title, same .... really.
    So for me, among other reasons, it's no longer worth the time engaging in these type of threads anymore. That and I'm mostly just a weirdo lurker in general now anyway heh.
    OTOH for people that enjoy the debates, that's cool too, I have nothing against that.

15. Microtonalist

Microtonalist SS.org Regular

Ok so that's true of a lot of people, however, it is fantastically incorrect. I am LIVING, BREATHING PROOF that it's possible to enjoy music without ANY melody or rhythm

Please don't waste time arguing with that, you're not me, you can't possibly prove me wrong

Now, let me draw your attention to this
    I actually spend quite a lot of time in modern art galleries, and you know the funny thing? I don't actually recall a single gallery in which the only emotions invoked were positive........

No idea what you're driving at with the elephant thing, last time I looked in the mirror, I wasn't an elephant

16. fps

fps Kit

Disagree with the start. Disagree with the middle. Disagree with the ending.

17. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

You are totally missing the point...if the tree wasn't endangered koa with roasted pau ferro branches and quilted-flamed-birds-eye maple bark then it's utter garbage and couldn't possibly sound any good at all if turned into a musical instrument...;)

18. bostjan

I guess you are technically correct on the elephant part, although I'm probably missing your point entirely.

If a piece of music is intended to be "art," in other words, to be appreciated for its beauty and emotional power, then probably, it is not going to be danceworthy and catchy.

"Come on baby, let's do the twist; come on baby let's do the twist; take my little hand and go like this," made Chubby Checker a very rich man, and many people appreciated the song, but what emotion does it evoke?

19. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

He also said evokes emotion. That's a catch all for positive or negative feelings.

20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Music is comprised of melody, harmony and rhythm (and you can sometimes throw in timbre as well). If it lacks melody and rhythm, how is it music?

Not trying to tell you what to like, just trying to figure out what you're talking about because you seem to be contradicting yourself.