Is Neural Releasing an SLO?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Necky379, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Justaguitarist

Justaguitarist SS.org Regular

The synergy modules are a thing but they are also very expensive and amp sims are way cheaper.

Emperoff likes this.
  2. ExpatZ

ExpatZ SS.org Regular

Grabbed it today, dialed back a tad it sounds close enough to my recording preamp, a SP-77.
    Cranked up it definitely reminded me of both my SLO and Hot Rod 50.
    I bet my old X-88R is in there too somewhere.
    Nice job.

BMFan30 likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

FYI, audio assault has a pretty good ultra lead sim in their reamp studio plugin.

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

How much does an FM3 end up costing in Canada? $999 on the Fractal site but I assume that's USD, minus taxes we'd pay, minus shipping, minus duties, etc.

Fully guessing, but like $1500 after all's said and done?

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Around that. $1350 ish + 3.5% for your credit card to convert + shipping and taxes.

sakeido likes this.
  6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Downloaded the demo. It’s so much chunkier than I thought it would be. I never played a real SLO but I always imagined a kinda bright 80’s style sound for some reason. This has a ton of low end and most of the presets are super chunky. Lead tones are sweet though.

It’s nice, but for me it doesn’t fit anything that my existing plugins don’t fit. Rhythm stuff well covered by the 5150 in Nolly. And Nameless and Granophyre give some different flavours of gain. May pick up the Gojira on sale later, for the 5150 III.

BMFan30 likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah if you're expecting either a brutal metal amp or an '80s hot-rodded Marshall, you're gonna be disappointed. SLOs are actually pretty smooth and have a very full sounding low end. They get pretty gnarly with a boost, but for my taste, I feel like the 5150 lineage of amps are better.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah SLO had a reputation as a bright amp, and it can be. But when I had it, I think I had the TMB at 5/6/4 (bass dialed back a touch). Mine had no depth knob. And it was thicc.

It gets a bit mushy as the gain goes up, so having some volume under it helps a lot IMHO, because that helps keep a saturated sound without having to turn up the preamp gain. Problem is the real amp is stupid loud, so it's kinda hard to do.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

It's your fault that there's a record here of a SLO rack sold for like $3k on this forum that will forever haunt me.

Ribboz, Deadpool_25 and StevenC like this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

haha forever haunts me too. I try to tell myself that the AFXIII sim is more useful... but it doesn't help.

Ribboz, Deadpool_25 and narad like this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

exact amount from my visa statement was $1,494.42 on Jan 5.

exchange is a tiny bit better today so maybe you'd save $20 or 30 or somethin

budda and Matt08642 like this.
  12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A SLO was the circuit that inspired both the Rectifier and the 5150 - Mike Soldano would maybe use a stronger word than "inspired," but you'll have that. either way, there's a fair amount of overlap between all three, though each have their own tonal area that's really their sweet spot. I'd imagine the SLO would have the edge for lower gain lead sounds, FWIW, but if you want a saturated lead you're probably going to be able to get something useful out of any of them.

Flappydoodle, wakjob and BMFan30 like this.
  13. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

if I didn't have full size Helix I would totally spring for FM3 that price point is killer. But for me I like my Helix a lot but next purchase will likely be 50 watt stealth evh just want something i can plug in and giver sometimes

sakeido likes this.
  14. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

I believe you can transfer your ilok license of that software to a new owner.

"
    User will need to transfer the iLok license to the new owner (PACE/ iLok fees apply, there are no fees imposed by Steven Slate Audio).

This can be done via the iLok License Manager.

Sign in to your iLok ID, select the license you want to transfer and then select the transfer button in the top right.

[​IMG]

* To transfer between different accounts ($25)

Transferring licenses between different accounts (also known as transfer of ownership) is a very similar process to transferring within your own account and is great if you want to buy and sell any plug-ins from other users.

It is handled securely by iLok.com, but be aware that this type of transfer is not free and iLok.com will charge you $25 per license to transfer ownership.

https://slatemediatechnology.zendes...4-How-to-transfer-iLok-license-to-a-new-user-

Spinedriver likes this.
  15. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

The high frequencies give away all the Amp sims and the low frequencies are much rounder/ smoother./ nicer. I personally don't think the Neural ones sound that good, but I have criticisms of most all PC amp sims. I think it about 10 years people are going to be like crap them amp sims sucked monkey balls back in 2021 :argue:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

The real one just sounds so much better, like there's half the gain/grit.

I downloaded the SLO100, Granophyre, and Nameless this weekend and really like the Nameless sound the most. It was the only one of the 3 that I found to be usable with the default settings/a few of the presets as well. I do like the SLO model, but not $150 like it.

17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I listened to the video again and the higher gain the tones got the closer the plugin got. The real thing sounds more open and less gainy for sure. But I bet you could dial the plugin settings a bit to match the real amp's tone.

Comparing same exact settings between a plugin or modeler and a real amp never works perfectly because there is variance in components. Maybe the plugin sounds exactly like the SLO they used to model it. To me the best way to compare would be to use one as reference tone and then try to dial the other to sound the same and then compare if they perform the same.

18. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Eek, I own the Nameless, and it's kind of fun in how much bass and chug it delivers, but as a good representation of an amp sound, I'm not very impressed by it (haven't used it in like 6 months). I always thought that was because of it was the first one they did though.

19. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I definitely understand the too much chug aspect of it lol, it has way too much bottom end compared to basically any produced, isolated guitar track I've heard, but it can be dialed out easy enough. I found a huge issue with all these plugins (except Nameless so far) is that I'm cranking the presence/messing with EQ to get them to sound like they're... well, Present. Most of these amps sound like they're being recorded through a concrete wall IMO :lol:

EDIT: Just gonna eat my words here and say after playing with it for a few more hours this morning, the Granophyre sounds great. Especially when using my OwnHammer IRs, which seem less muffled than the built in ones.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    torchlord and Blytheryn like this.
  20. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

To be honest I haven't even bothered to load custom IRs on these. They sound good with stock cabs. If I don't have to browse through an infinite IR list to make them sound good, you can sign me on that.

Millul likes this.