Is my graphics card dead?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MoshJosh, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM.

1. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Put my computer in sleep mode last night before bed, all seemed well. This morning my wife tried to turn it on. . . And it wouldn’t boot. Fans stared up, everything lit up but nothing, monitor just read “no signal”. Initially the DRAM led comes on, then off, then the VGA led comes on. I dusted it, replaced the DVI cable, tried reseating the GPU, used different power cables for GPU, used only one stick of RAM. . . Nothing! I then took the GPU off and ran with the onboard graphics. . . And it boots up. (I quickly had my wife email herself all her important school files, just in case something else went wrong). . .

I assume this means the problem is the GPU. I guess in theory it could be the PCI slot, however the only Other slot on the motherboard is impeded by the hard drive cable things, so I can’t seat the full length GPU in this spot. . .

rig:
    MSI z170a motherboard
    Intel i5 6500 CPU
    Gtx 1060 founders
    24g ddr4 Corsair vengeance

2. Choop

Choop n______n

I wonder if it's possibly a driver issue, or maybe even a PSU issue. One thing I would try is installing the latest drivers again for the GPU. Maybe resetting the CMOS on the motherboard could help, I dunno. I'm sorry, this kind of stuff is frustrating, and I just tend to start trying anything and everything.

SpaceDock and MoshJosh like this.
  3. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

OK, so the GPU isn’t totally fried, I did manage to get it working though I’m not sure what exactly the problem was. I was able to reinstall Nvidia GeForce experience, and clean install the latest drivers. This was odd though, because I couldn’t see the screen if I had the graphics card plugged in, but if I didn’t have the graphics card plugged in in Nvidia experience/the drivers wouldn’t let me initiate the download. I ended up having to plug the graphics card in while the computer was on and running the onboard graphics. This didn’t seem to have much affect, though at this point I realized I could run the graphics card with HDMI but still not display port. I read of some other people having this problem, and I updated the firmware/bios for the 1060. That still wasn’t working, so I unplugged everything, the computer the monitor, made sure nothing except the display port was plugged in and turned it back on. . . And now it works again. . .

4. Choop

Choop n______n

That really is bizarre, I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out! Driver problems can be a real nightmare. Something similar happened before with an older system of mine and I was able to get it going again by basically doing the same thing. I think I had swapped from ati to nvidia video cards and there were some left over drivers being screwy with my setup. I used driversweeper to git 'em out~

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Probably a corrupted driver. While everythign is workingg I'd make a bootdisk/usb and a restore point for your system so if anything goes wrong again you'll be up and running. Problem isn't making the disk the problem is being vigalent and always updating them as your system changes.